Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-2005, 02:20 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Improvs and new tracks and mixed sets
I just wanted to get this offa my chest:

I love the new tour set and the idea behind it of bringing Darren into the picture to let Rick fiddle and improvise. I understand its gonna take some time to really get the feel of things again after a) playing a more song based and less improv based set last time b) having someone new helping in the live set and c) having new tracks to get right.

I was the one who asked Rick for a more "flowing" set in the dirty chat when they were answering questions one time for the radio and Rick sounded a bit miffed but this is exactly what I meant. More improv and less breaks between songs. This is what sets bands like Underworld apart from other live electronic acts and gives you the sense that what youre hearing is unique and will never be played again the same.

At the Heineken Music Hall, I was quite happy to have subsitituted Dark Train and Two Months Off from the set in order to have more new tracks and more improvisation. That's what makes it unique. I'll always favour hearing new material over a crowd-pleasing favourite.

Karl: I didnt care that there wasnt time to play Tin There (you were gonna play it instead of Moaner weren't you? ) and I look forward to flying over to Budapest now to see how the set has evolved for the Sziget Festival. Who knows, maybe I'll hear Dark Train, TMO and Tin There - i mean Moaner - there after all.

So if you're going to see UW on this summer tour, give em a bit of slack because they're still trying to get things just right. This aint an ass-kissing thread, just a response to the people who are whining to redress the balance.