Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:09 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Re: Bells & Circles Ft. Iggy Pop
Quote:
Originally Posted by scary man View Post
There's a whole story there you're changing to suit your own projected meaning.
"and if they were hot you could try to pick them up" & "the stewardess would have been better than the cocaine" -- sorry, that i inferred Iggy meant banging and not taking them out for a steak dinner. :\

and the song is not solely about Iggy's courage. Its about a time long gone by. And somehow that involves (even comedically) hijackings.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:06 PM
scary man
Sci-Fi Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatobroth View Post
"and if they were hot you could try to pick them up" & "the stewardess would have been better than the cocaine" -- sorry, that i inferred Iggy meant banging and not taking them out for a steak dinner. :\

and the song is not solely about Iggy's courage. Its about a time long gone by. And somehow that involves (even comedically) hijackings.
Well, I didn't get that the hijacking story was connected to the story about getting the phone number, other than he was talking about planes and the train of thought took him that way.
I'm sure you've had conversations, that's kind of how they work, don't they?
But, you know, the vocal doesn't work for you. That's fine. Personally, I think your reading of it is a slightly snooty and a tad humourless. That's all.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:53 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by scary man View Post
. Personally, I think your reading of it is a slightly snooty and a tad humourless. That's all.
On Youtube, the video has 4,300 yeahs and 108 nahs. Odds are in favor, but there are always some distractors. Not gonna change their minds.
And basically, there's no point. You either like it or hate it. For many years, new UW tracks have left me confused, but i always teeter into the fold. They've produced nothing that disgusts, but plenty that challenged, and a lot that entices.

Last edited by holden; 06-03-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:21 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
For many years, new UW tracks have left me confused, but i always teeter into the fold. They've produced nothing that disgusts, but plenty that challenged, and a lot that entices.
I'm almost entire in this category. I dislike so few Underworld tracks. The problem I'm having is that I love the music but really hate the ranting. Its just so poorly ranted.

Its just not on theme with Underworld. Like i said earlier, can anyone picture Karl singing that? how weird would that feel?
Old 06-04-2018, 08:42 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

that's the point though isn't it? the last few years seem to be all about doing things they normally wouldn't do. starting perhaps with the Olympic stuff.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:43 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j View Post
that's the point though isn't it? the last few years seem to be all about doing things they normally wouldn't do. starting perhaps with the Olympic stuff.
no? like i said above if this had been Karl signing those lyrics, i think more would be turned off a bit by it. but its not, its Iggy. so some of you are fine with it, some find it funny, but i find it pretty cheesy or poorly executed.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:32 PM
Dino3D
pants

Will there be a new album?
Old 06-14-2018, 06:51 PM
swift
suave. swell. swindle.

first: i love this song. reminds me of the energy of moaner, getting a basically one-note composition to great hights. not many people can do this and produce anything listenable in this way. yet this song does this in my opinion. including iggy, and how they edited him in.

second: i've never been a fan of iggy pop but i've always respected him as part of the movement that made punk which changed popular music and made also possible the do it yourself attitude that sprouted the electronic music revolution some fifteen years later.

third: i really do not understand, and am actually are appaled by, the rant about the 'rant' of iggy's lyrics in this topic. to be very honest, it tells me how far we are from recovering from the conservative cultural movement that set in at the beginning of the millennium and continues to worsten until today. and i cannot help to notice that the most complaints come from the american continent. for what it's worth.

to me, the iggy rant is a highly political statement, and i am grateful for underworld to edit it in this way (as it is edited clearly so you should address them). as a lyricist, as an artist, he builds a story to make a point. smoking on the airplane is a means, not the point as an old guy. he uses it as a construct to address something else: the fact that liberal democracy, and what he calls 'european ideas about right and wrong' are disappearing from the general, global ideas around what society should be like. and he is right. this is a general concern. and the fact these lyrics are discussed here in this way, the fucking underworld forum, actually proves his point. what do you think underworld and their likes tried to do back in 1993? thgey tried to expand freedom of everything. of sound, of art, of they way you lived. and now you are saying that iggy pop, who did that before, is sexist or oldfashioned? whenever you listen to dubnobass next time, please realise this was freeing music, not bounding it in any sense.

underworld music is about pushing bounderies, about doing new things, about creating something you've never heard before. as they did in this new song.

and yes, i still smoke. moderately.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:57 PM
pandamagic
river

yes I agree - you really do not understand the criticisms of iggy's lyrics.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:46 PM
iamneorev
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift View Post
third: i really do not understand, and am actually are appaled by, the rant about the 'rant' of iggy's lyrics in this topic. to be very honest, it tells me how far we are from recovering from the conservative cultural movement that set in at the beginning of the millennium and continues to worsten until today. and i cannot help to notice that the most complaints come from the american continent. for what it's worth.
I'm from America, New York to be specific, and I love the song and the lyrics do not bother me at all... because I actually understood the point the song was conveying.

I am someone who was honestly baffled by the negative response to the lyrics. I think the lyrics flew over people's heads. Someone is always there ready to create controversy over something. I think the negative response people are having with this song is exactly what the song is trying to poke fun of and create a discussion about. I don't Iggy is genuinely pining for the days of smoking on an airplane and hitting on stewardesses. The lyrics are more like form of provocation for those who will take what he says way too literally and go and be angry about it. They behave as a way for us to look at ourselves, when we may take things too seriously and jump the gun and let our anger get the best of us. Even in today's world, if you did try to do something beautiful, it will more than likely piss someone off no matter what you do. There is someone out there ready to tell you "You can't do that."

Write a song about smoking on airplanes and hitting on stewardesses. (You can't do that)

Let the sun shine on your wings (You can't do that)

Soon, you won't be able to do anything when you take the "You can't do that" mentality too far. A sort of cautionary tale that deserves this discussion.

Last edited by iamneorev; 06-18-2018 at 09:06 PM.