Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > process.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2010, 09:11 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Dvd screen caps?
So - I might be putting this in the wrong forum, but whatever...

Anyways it is related to an art project I'm working on.

There has to be a way to get individual images off of dvd's right? I thought I'd just be able to use the "Grab" application on my Mac... but it won't let me capture any images if the dvd player application is open.

Is there a way around this?
Old 11-12-2010, 10:42 AM
kagenaki koe
children are futura

Re: Dvd screen caps?
you can use 3rd party screen capture software such as DVDCapture (don't know if Snow Leopard supports this anymore, but this was what i used to use and it was freeware) or ishowu (this is $30, this is what i'm currently using...you just have to change the settings to output images instead of video). you can also try playing the dvd thru VLC player and take screenshots from there.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:02 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

I use Snapz Pro. It costs money, but that's always been an indispensable tool in my arsenal.

kagenaki koe's suggestion of VLC is probably your best bet for free though. You should be able to use Grab, or the built-in screenshot (cmd-shift-3) on it.

Alternatively, you could do something like use Handbrake to rip the DVD, and then do a regular screenshot of the resulting Quicktime movie.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:18 AM
joethelion

thanks for the suggestions...

I'll try the VLC one first - I actually didn't realize that you could use VLC to play a dvd (even though that makes sense)

I would use handbreak, but the last time I did - my computer made the most HORRIBLE sound ever, and I'm kind of scared to try and rip a dvd again!
Old 11-14-2010, 09:21 PM
bas_I_am
vision

Why in the hell would crapple require an application for this functionality???
Mr. Jobs probably wants to charge for it???

Go find a friend that has a real computer, play the DVD and simply press alt+[print screen]
Old 11-14-2010, 09:29 PM
bas_I_am
vision

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/scr...screenshot.htm
Old 11-15-2010, 06:51 AM
joethelion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas_I_am View Post
Why in the hell would crapple require an application for this functionality???
Mr. Jobs probably wants to charge for it???

Go find a friend that has a real computer, play the DVD and simply press alt+[print screen]

"Grab" is a built in program on Macs - but it won't work unless you have the dvd player application off.

I just opened the dvd using VLC, played it, and took screen shots -> It worked, thanks guys!

Oh, and the project I'm working on is a series of prints about a girl who has to dress up as her Oxycodone-addicted truck-driver father, and take up his route (as him). It was an idea for a "bad movie" a friend of mine & I were going to write.

We never got around to writing anything (this was a few years ago) - so now I'm just doing it as a series of lithographs.

(as a part of the original "joke" we wanted it to star Ellen Paige. I wanted some high resolution images of her face for reference images... which is why I wanted the dvd screen cap's)
Old 11-15-2010, 05:13 PM
bas_I_am
vision

I still don't understand why you would need an "app for that"

Can't you just use key strokes?

"There's an app for that? Why????"

I crack myself up
Old 11-15-2010, 05:25 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

The Mac OS X built-in screenshot functionality was deliberately disabled when DVD Player is active for copyright reasons.

There are reasonable workarounds to that limitation, so I don't understand why you're making such a big deal about it.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:40 PM
bas_I_am
vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
The Mac OS X built-in screenshot functionality was deliberately disabled when DVD Player is active for copyright reasons.

There are reasonable workarounds to that limitation, so I don't understand why you're making such a big deal about it.

That's why crapple sux. Well that and its less secure than windows and development sux on it.

But hey... you if you want to pay a lot of money to draw pictures and play music on a snazzy looking piece of technology, you can't get better.