Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:11 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Re: going broke on barking
I'm not a collector, I just want to pay for the music to listen to. I honestly don't really care if its digital, on disc, or sung into my ear directly. But I do like to get every UW track available. I don't have the energy to trek into NYC anymore hoping that Tower Records imported some random foreign version of the album, then shelling out the cash just to hear one new track.

I don't doubt that these tracks will appear on UWlive at some point, but until then, I made my choice to order my box set from UW directly.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:34 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophony View Post
i've been waffling about whether to order the super extra special deluxe release with all of the extra tracks, especially because the conversion rate puts that purchase at about $80 when all is said and done.
Conversion rate? Why not order it from Om Records, where it's $52 shipped, if you choose the Media Mail option? https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16960

Quote:
YDS is one of my faves but it's album-only and a japan itunes gift card that can cover the purchase of the entire album cost something like $40.
$40?? OK, I can understand the general sentiment, about being put off by having to buy different versions to get all the bonus tracks. But the numbers being thrown around by people in this thread are just not reality. You need to read the ordering thread above to educate yourself, where there are ordering links for and information about everything in the first post. It was created specifically to try to reduce the kind of confusion that is evident in the thread about the different versions, and exclusives, and where and how they're available.

If you'd read that thread you would've seen the links to the Om Records store, the U.S. distributor, where you can get the box set shipped in the U.S. for $52 total. For "You Do Scribble (Abbey Road Version)", you'd have known that it's available on the iTunes US and UK stores too, where it is $11.99 for the deluxe album, and the standard album (which will also have the YDS track) will probably be $9.99.

So, be upset about not being able to get all the tracks in one place, but if you're upset that you're paying $80 and $40, respectively, that's your own fault.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:43 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

how about uwlive post thefucking info about where to get their own goddamn material in a somewhat comprehensive manner so that people who havent trawled the net for disparate scraps of information dont get blamed for their lack of time to find it all
Old 09-08-2010, 01:03 PM
cacophony
disquietude

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
Conversion rate? Why not order it from Om Records, where it's $52 shipped, if you choose the Media Mail option? https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16960
i went through underworldlive, added it to cart and was directed to paypal. which gave me a total with shipping in pounds. i did a currency conversion and it came out to around $80. there's nothing on UWlive about being able to get it elsewhere for $52 with shipping.

Quote:
$40?? OK, I can understand the general sentiment, about being put off by having to buy different versions to get all the bonus tracks. But the numbers being thrown around by people in this thread are just not reality. You need to read the ordering thread above to educate yourself, where there are ordering links for and information about everything in the first post. It was created specifically to try to reduce the kind of confusion that is evident in the thread about the different versions, and exclusives, and where and how they're available.

If you'd read that thread you would've seen the links to the Om Records store, the U.S. distributor, where you can get the box set shipped in the U.S. for $52 total. For "You Do Scribble (Abbey Road Version)", you'd have known that it's available on the iTunes US and UK stores too, where it is $11.99 for the deluxe album, and the standard album (which will also have the YDS track) will probably be $9.99.

So, be upset about not being able to get all the tracks in one place, but if you're upset that you're paying $80 and $40, respectively, that's your own fault.
okay, mister defensive. "upset" is a bit of a stretch.

and no, i didn't see the thread up there because this forum has a BILLION GODDAMNED STICKIED THREADS up there. UEX note: when everything is important, nothing is important.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Spooky Shoes
Sole Man

I've spent quite a bit so far..

Box Set & Vinyl from UWL. £59.02
Single CD from Japan £30.00 ~ (Maybe more if/when I get stung for Import Duty)
Sampler £3.00
Full Promo £7.00
Misc Promo stuff, Singles & 12" £30.00~

Not including the CD+CD/DVD that I ordered for friends via the HMV ticket bundle offer.

Hopefully there will be some tasty merch @ the Forum gig.

I don't have iTunes installed, I'll go quite a way for UW but there is a limit.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:13 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
i went through underworldlive, added it to cart and was directed to paypal. which gave me a total with shipping in pounds. i did a currency conversion and it came out to around $80. there's nothing on UWlive about being able to get it elsewhere for $52 with shipping.
Obviously, I/we have no control over what appears on uwlive.com. But the ordering information has been posted several times on this forum and the Born Dirty news feed in an effort to get the information out. I don't know what more we can do.

Quote:
okay, mister defensive.
Yes, well, I spend a lot of time researching this information and updating it, and making sure it's accurate, and trying to disseminate it. So I hope you'll understand if I get a bit miffed when someone starts a new thread with inaccurate information which is then repeated ($40?!!) several times in the thread by other people.

Quote:
"upset" is a bit of a stretch.
Yes, yours didn't come off as very upset, but several others that piled on in the thread did. It was a general "you," not necessarily you specifically.

Quote:
and no, i didn't see the thread up there because this forum has a BILLION GODDAMNED STICKIED THREADS up there. UEX note: when everything is important, nothing is important.
Yes, I am aware of this concept. I don't think 6 out of 26 topics on the front page is that unreasonable or excessive. Believe it or not, we try to keep the stickies relevant and manageable. Scribble threads were on there earlier this year, and those are both gone now. Last year, there were Downpipe and William's Last Words threads stickied, and they were removed as they aged. ALAF will probably go in a few weeks, and the Barking threads will eventually as well.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:18 PM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

Quote:

okay, mister defensive. "upset" is a bit of a stretch.

hey, when you get the record, can i come over to your place and listen to it?
Old 09-09-2010, 12:57 AM
whatmakesustick

Quote:

Yes, well, I spend a lot of time researching this information and updating it, and making sure it's accurate, and trying to disseminate it. So I hope you'll understand if I get a bit miffed when someone starts a new thread with inaccurate information which is then repeated ($40?!!) several times in the thread by other people.
I think everyone on these boards appreciates the information that we get in the threads - I certainly do. But I think the comments in this thread are not trying to criticise the forum (although I agree that the $40 quote is very miss-leading) - I just think there are some frustrated people who want to get there hands on Underworld's material and find it very difficult/expensive. With no physical singles, the album announced but not available for several months, drips of information about singles/album availability and track listings and then of course, the bonus versions in various formats/countries. Throw in the sudden appearance of a Bungalow with Stairs album, accidental release of Grace, (early release of Barking on iTunes Japan?), releasing the Forum gig ticket bundle before the official album tracklistings, etc, and to be honest its just frustrating and VERY time consuming to work out whats going on.

Of course some of us fans are part of them problem - we want everything and we want it now!! and for the band it must be great that they have the freedom to produce surprises such as the Bungalow CD.

I am not trying to be over critical - but I do think things could have been handled a little better.

As an example of contructive criticism, the comment that 'overstock of the Bungalow CD will be available on uwlive' is hugely frutstrating. What if there is no overstock? what if there is only 10 available? will be this another Tokyo 3cd problem? do I need to check the shop every 12 hours so that I dont miss out on what is effectively another Underworld record? Change that comment to "a limitied run of the CD will be available in the shop shortly after the exhibition" in the news section of uwlive.com and hey presto - you have a bunch of excited fans instead of frustrated fans.

(Edit: having said the above, there is a HUGE positive in this release. I think the box set is a real nod to us fans that desperately wanted original versions of tracks. I have no doubt that Underworld massively appreciate their fans - I think my(our?) frustration is simply around the availability of information in a central place)

Last edited by whatmakesustick; 09-09-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:38 AM
silic0n
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky Shoes View Post
I've spent quite a bit so far..

(cut lots of crazy Underworld spending)

I don't have iTunes installed, I'll go quite a way for UW but there is a limit.
I love you.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:52 AM
cacophony
disquietude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
hey, when you get the record, can i come over to your place and listen to it?
yes, in exchange for babysitting services.