Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:48 AM
saintrik
temperature drops

Twist (Music Bank Jam Take 7)
New download to the UW mailing list:

“I was there… I'm trying to cast my mind back to 2005 and the sessions at Music Bank by the railway tracks in SE1. I can't remember why we were there… rehearsal for upcoming gigs perhaps or were we trying to capture some of the tracks from 100 Days Off in their live shape? What I do remember was we recorded loads of versions of Twist live, straight off Rick’s Midas H1000 into an 8-track portadrive...

...Listening to them today they range from reconstructed live jams hardly recognisable as the original album version to faithful renditions of the aforementioned track or long takes that rise and fall over the course of 15 minutes or more, overdubbed with wild guitar solos. The version you are listening to here falls into the last category and is pretty close to the way it was played live at the time; maybe slightly longer than you've heard it performed unless you were in the audience at one of those special nights where Karl was channelling the spirit of Gregg Allman or Dennis Coffey and Rick just didn't want the music to end.”

- Steve Hall

Stream 'Twist (Music Bank Jam Take 7)' Now
Download 'Twist (Music Bank Jam Take 7)' Now

Last edited by saintrik; 03-14-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:56 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Re: Twist (Music Bank Jam Take 7)
One of the roundhouse gigs for I went to was when twist was played. Prettty much how it planned out live on the night which was great for the improv element.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:00 PM
negative1

awesome track, great version too.

wonder how different the other takes are.

i always wanted an extended version of it with the guitars over it.
this is pretty much it.

later
Old 03-14-2019, 12:04 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

this has been on people's wishlist for a while, hasn't it?

really shreds the album version away, if you ask me. AHDO is a fine album but a lot of it lacks that extra 'oomph', yknow….this track has it
Old 03-14-2019, 12:12 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

Several AHDO tracks sound SO MUCH BETTER live. I like that record but when you hear the contemporaneous live versions, it's like there could have been a very different version of that record; one that was a lot more spacious and brooding and yet also more lively.

Mo Move -- usually performed without the "I dream in chemical" lyric, extended drum solo. Haunting, expansive, epic. Yet on the album, it's tight as a drum.

Two Months Off -- well this always sounds the same, I'm honestly bored by this track.

Twist -- as demonstrated in this new download, a totally different song when played with Karl's dirty guitar and Rick's soaring synth stabs. Like Mo Move, the album version feels compact and restrained.

Sola Sistim - dunno if this was ever played live.

Little Speaker - they played this a bit on the Oblivion tour and it didn't really change IIRC.

Trim - they played a truly breathtaking version of this on the Peel broadcast that we heard also as a Lemonworld broadcast jam that I've always suspected was an early version. For the album, they tightened this up and made it a lot brighter. Didn't help IMO.

Ess Gee - don't think i've heard alt versions of this

Dinosaur Adventure 3D -- this was always a bit dubious, an obvious combo of Dark Train and King of Snake. But it sounded much more interesting live, with more elements and more chaos.

Ballet Lane - no alt version I know of.

Luetin - this was performed fairly faithfully.

So yeah, overall AHDO is IMO unnecessarily restrained and edited. Tracks like Twist, which on the album feels almost like an afterthought next to Two Months Off, become gorgeous and exciting. If they ever did a AHDO anniversary box, I'd love to hear more alternate takes like this.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:42 PM
darktrain