Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:49 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Re: DRIFT Episode 5 "GAME"
one other thing, the drums on the EP version of Tree & Two Chairs are crisper and more in the front of the mix
Old 09-25-2019, 07:24 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

i thought it sounded a little more spare than i remember but i couldn't place it.
tbh i don't know if i miss it. it takes some of the floating points jazz out of it and makes it more ambiguous to me.

i've really fallen for toluca stars in a big way. could've still workshopped that beat a bit more but what surrounds it is just gorgeous.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:42 PM
domsgotsideburns
mouseman

admittedly my astonished first impressions got the best of me- Tree and Two Chairs is just as excellent without the keyboard. that's what being fanatical about this band does to you 😅
Old 10-08-2019, 03:12 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Thanks for th recap. I was just reading this thread and thought, "someone should compile these differences"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
Digital purchase and streaming versions of Ep 5 came out yesterday, and it's identical to the free download last week.

So, to recap:

Toluca Stars and Tree and Two Chairs with the missing piano parts are available to stream or purchase (up to 24-bit lossless) in the digital single versions.

The long version of Mile Bush Pride is available (in 320 Kbps MP3) as the free download.

Give Me the Room with the wonky stereo imaging, and S T A R with the last verse aligned to the downbeat are only available on the YouTube videos.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:53 PM
blue

Quote:

Toluca Stars and Tree and Two Chairs with the missing piano parts are available to stream or purchase (up to 24-bit lossless) in the digital single versions.

what's the bit missing on Toluca Stars? does anyone have a timestamp?
Old 10-10-2019, 02:18 PM
domsgotsideburns
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j View Post
what's the bit missing on Toluca Stars? does anyone have a timestamp?
It’s missing from 7:15
Old 10-10-2019, 02:48 PM
blue

aha - that's pretty subtle
Old 10-12-2019, 02:34 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
A fine episode, indeed!

What I'm really enjoying about the Drift EPs is the unique vibe. Despite disparate tracks, each episode has a distinct feel, like any curated album, like the awesome RiverRun series.

Am I applying coherence where none was intended? Maybe. Some albums and EPs just have a good flow and evoke a certain response collectively that the singles goes cannot. Hearing individual tracks, we have favorites and those we're not fond of. Put them together, and sometimes the sum of the parts is stronger.

That's what I've got from Drift. Not just 5 or 6 random tracks grouped for a release, but a consciously selected, thematically/emotionally linked (?) Collection. Mini albums in the classic album style. I give R&K all the credit for this genious. It could very well be that they just scrabled to get a new track each week, and the conceptualization is my own bias to love the band!

Last edited by holden; 10-12-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:28 AM
blue

I'm guessing that's mostly planned. We know these tracks weren't just put out as they were completed. I agree with you, they mostly flow really well, although #4 still feels like a kind of random selection of tracks to me
Old 04-30-2020, 07:38 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
One more change I noticed is the end of Give Me the Room. There are some stereo differences, and it's deliberate because the stereo imaging is the same in the rest of the song.

In the film version, starting at about 6:30, the high bleeping line that comes in has a strong left channel presence through the end of the song. On the EP version, it's been centered much more. Also, Karl's looped vocal fragment that comes in at about 8:00 also has a strong left channel bias in the video version. In the EP that's been moved to a mild right channel bias.
So, I A-B'd this track a little more carefully, and I noticed several additional subtle differences. The chirping noise that comes in at 0:50 has a different pattern throughout its appearances between the YouTube version and the EP/album version. It's really easy to miss, and I almost had to map out the pattern to realize it was different in a lot of places.

On the EP version, the kick drum takes a two measure break at 1:53, while the YouTube version powers through.

On the EP version, a chuffing sound begins gradually fading out at around 6:35. On the YouTube version, it continues full strength until the string comes in at 6:51.

On the EP version, the string sound at 6:51 fades out much sooner at about 7:02. On the YouTube version, it continues until about 7:45.

I think the YouTube version must be an earlier version with the EP being a later, more refined version.