Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2014, 12:42 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
speculating on STITI remaster...
So, the Dubno deluxe remaster is just a couple months away. But the news that the other LPs will get similar treatments in the next few years is very exciting, too! Is it too early to speculate as to what rare treats will be included, continuing chronologically with STITI?
Maybe, but its fun and you can stake your claim to future knowledge here and now!

I think the b sides and remixes from the era are pretty settled (see Pearls Girl EPs and maybe Born Slippy EPs?). But hopefully there will be rare, unheard tracks as well. for a live disc, I'm thinking a high quality digital release of the famed "European Club Gig" bootleg.( similarly, for the BF box, a hifi version of the Blue Mountain gig from the old UWLive site would be great!)

What about the promo edit version of Juanita? Wonder if there are any remixes of that, or other would-be singles? Going back to the UWlive archives, were there any web snippets from the STITI era, or did tracks like Man Loop and Shout Twice from later on? I do have mp3s of AirTowel jam and Ouch ouch jam and Stagger jam, so perhaps another disc of improv jams is due...
Old 08-12-2014, 08:22 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Re: speculating on STITI remaster...
I'm definitely in the camp of wanting more unheard stuff. I couldn't care less about the remixes and B-sides on the dubno box. Even things like "Organ" don't interest me as much, since it's just a minimal upgrade over the DAT version.

The things that excite me are the completely unheard stuff, like the works in progress, unreleased songs, and the live rehearsal jam. I wouldn't even be interested in the European Club Gig. We've all heard it; it would be an incremental upgrade at best. Boring.

I think they did a pretty good job of balancing the amount of previously heard stuff and never heard stuff on the dubno box set. If they can maintain that balance on the subsequent box sets, I'll be happy.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:00 AM
negative1

too soon.

but heres my tentative version that im working on.

Code:
second toughest in the infants deluxe v0.2
-------------------------------------------
1 album remastered from vinyl
2 remixes
3 b-sides and edits
4 live tracks
 - from uw.com
 - various single
 - partial gigs
5 DVD videos
  - promo video
  - live

=================
tracks =  90 
time =  12hr50min
-------------------------

video
-------
17 tracks
105min = 1hr45min
later

Last edited by negative1; 08-13-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:17 AM
holden
collateral damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post

The things that excite me are the completely unheard stuff, like the works in progress, unreleased songs, and the live rehearsal jam. I wouldn't even be interested in the European Club Gig. We've all heard it; it would be an incremental upgrade at best. Boring.

I think they did a pretty good job of balancing the amount of previously heard stuff and never heard stuff on the dubno box set. If they can maintain that balance on the subsequent box sets, I'll be happy.
I agree...bring on the unreleased music, or exceedingly rare material. My speculation on the Euro Club gig is because it is high quality source material and represents the classic (some say standard?) STITI era set list, so it'd be an easy or obvious inclusion. But yeah, I'd rather a jam session or works in progress. I have all the singles, but I guess the remastering will be worth it....STITI was always a disc I had to crank the volume way up to enjoy.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:03 AM
Mike
born013

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
What about the promo edit version of Juanita? Wonder if there are any remixes of that, or other would-be singles?
There is loads of potential here. Just listen to some of the early versions of NUXX, Juanita, Rowla, and Born Slippy as far back as 1994. Wow so different to the album versions released a couple of years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Going back to the UWlive archives, were there any web snippets from the STITI era, or did tracks like Man Loop and Shout Twice from later on? I do have mp3s of AirTowel jam and Ouch ouch jam and Stagger jam, so perhaps another disc of improv jams is due...
I don't know for sure, but I am inclined to think that these jams came from the 1999 / early 2000s.. When you compare them to live versions from the 90s they don't sound alike. The renditions sound quite fresh, as if they are revisiting the old tracks.

I can't find the source right now, but there was an interview from the BF era where they said they had over 200 tracks that they were working on for the album. That said, I bet most of them are unfinished ideas, many possibly needed up merged into different tracks..

Like Todd, I am interested to hear unheard tracks, works in progress and studio jams.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:59 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Forgot to mention, I'd also be cool with some (unreleased) Bungalow with Stairs works being included.

And one thing I definitely don't mind is the digital release of previously vinyl only tracks, like The Hump and Eclipse on the dubno box.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:33 AM
Troy McClure
I'm the Spoonman

I'd like to hear some working versions of Air Towel or anything in the mode of Blueski.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:45 PM
holden
collateral damage

I'd also enjoy some rare-Air Towel!
Banstyle and Sappy's Curry always seem like they've been mashed together...it works, but I wonder if each part was developed in more detail?
Old 08-20-2014, 06:59 PM
buzzelvis
river

I have been obsessed with the STITI artwork from the first time I saw it and would love to see the original artwork/ posters/ cd, vinyl, cassette covers all released as high resolution pdfs for large scale printing. Same for the Pearls Girl overhead projector imagery, etc....

Probably because I found underworld through tomato but I find the imagery as important as the music.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:43 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

Well we'll have to wait and see but while they said that they would bring out remastered versions of UW's albums, that doesn't have to mean they will all be special editions like the Dubno one. Of course I hope they will be