Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > bound.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:13 AM
grady
fac321

Re: Writing reviews.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I'm going to name-check you all on air when I get this gig.
Cool!

You gotta put it up on the Youtube to compliment the WEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!! video excitement of opening your WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIII!!!!
Old 02-22-2007, 03:48 AM
Tom
BttKBtKt!

Send a message via AIM to Tom Send a message via MSN to Tom
Fuck this is hard. I had to cut almost 50% of it to get it anywhere near 500 words. Thoughts and critques plz thnx

WarioWare: Smooth Moves Review.

By Tom Hubbard

TOM:

WarioWare: Smooth Moves for the Nintendo Wii is the fourth game in the popular micro-game franchise, and the first to see a release on a home console. Players familiar with the previous WarioWare games should have no trouble adjusting, and new players should only need a few minutes to grasp the basic concepts.

Smooth Moves is played almost exclusively with a single Wii Remote, which is held in various ways to replicate the game’s ‘forms’.

DEMO VARIOUS ‘FORMS’

TOM (VOICE OVER):
There are 15 forms, ranging from the standard ‘Remote’ through to the more creative ‘Mohawk’. It’s with these forms that much of the challenge is derived; learning and switching between them as the player tries to keep up with the increasing speed of the gameplay. Each form is introduced effectively, and the player is given ample time to perfect them.

CUT TO GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE

TOM (VOICE OVER):
The micro-games in Smooth Moves are often humorous, bizarre, even a little disturbing, and will have players doing things with their Wii Remotes they’d have never guessed possible. From doing weights to grating alarm clocks, murdering Pikmin to nose picking, Smooth Moves covers just about every conceivable use for the Wii Remote.

CUT TO STUDIO

TOM:
As a single player experience, the game is a bit of a mixed bag. Each stage contains between ten to fifteen micro-games followed by a boss stage. These are much longer than the regular micro-games, and are a welcome change of pace.

The single player portion of the game does start to feel shallow after extended play, as micro-games by definition are just that. Nintendo has obviously tried to combat this by including unlockable ‘pose cards’, but it hardly seems worth the effort.

Being on a home console seems to rob the game of the ‘pick-up-and-play’ appeal of the hand-held games.

CUT TO GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE

TOM (VOICEOVER):

The visual presentation of Smooth Moves is hit and miss. The different character stories are presented well, with bright, colourful hi-res sprites that are nicely animated. The overall visual style of the game is cohesive and true to the series, but in some instances it comes off looking a little cheap.

The audio work in the game is of a similar standard. The music plays an important role in the game; speeding up with the gameplay as you progress, building tension and a sense of urgency.

CUT TO STUDIO

TOM:

Smooth Moves is a great multiplayer game. Up to twelve players can take part in one game, taking turns with the one Wii Remote. The very short micro-games lend themselves to a multiplayer setting very well, keeping the game moving with almost no downtime. The choice to limit the multiplayer games to a single Wii Remote is a clever one. It creates a frantic, chaotic atmosphere as players rush to pass the Remote before the next player’s turn begins.

WarioWare: Smooth Moves is a great game with a few inherent flaws. It makes great use of the Wii hardware and is a solid, entertaining diversion when friends or family are around. As a single player experience it falls short, perhaps indicating that games of this style are better suited to handheld platforms. I give Smooth Moves seven rubber chickens.

_______
Old 02-22-2007, 04:43 AM
kid cue
ryooong

couple basic points, off the top:

- there's a bit too much passive voice near the beginning, which can feel a little dry and detached, potentially alienating for the casual viewer. maybe the tone could be a little more conversational? example:

Quote:
Smooth Moves is played almost exclusively with a single Wii Remote, which is held in various ways to replicate the game’s ‘forms’.
Most of the time, Smooth Moves only requires a single Wii Remote, which the player must hold in a number of diferent ways to ...

Quote:
It’s with these forms that much of the challenge is derived; learning and switching between them as the player tries to keep up with the increasing speed of the gameplay. Each form is introduced effectively, and the player is given ample time to perfect them.
The player learns and switches between the various forms, while trying to keep up with the increasingly fast gameplay. This is where Smooth Moves derives much of its challenge. The game introduces each form effectively (what does this mean?), and gives the player ample time to perfect them (a little vague).

- in general, some of the game critiques could be a little more descriptive:

Quote:
The different character stories are presented well, with bright, colourful hi-res sprites that are nicely animated. The overall visual style of the game is cohesive and true to the series, but in some instances it comes off looking a little cheap.

The audio work in the game is of a similar standard. The music plays an important role in the game; speeding up with the gameplay as you progress, building tension and a sense of urgency.
"presented well", "nicely", "a little cheap", "important role", "of a similar standard" are somewhat generic & vague phrases that could be used in every review (i realize you're voicing over gameplay footage, but still) ... also, "building tension and a sense of urgency" is a little redundant.

just some suggestions, please please feel free to disregard. don't mean to seem hypercritical -- overall, it reads well and has a clear logic. the only thing is that it seems a litlte conservative, in that i don't get much of a sense of your personality. i don't mean CRAZY TOM LOL1 but just a somewhat looser, freer approach. i know that's really vague but it's early -_-

Last edited by kid cue; 02-22-2007 at 04:48 AM.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:23 AM
Tom
BttKBtKt!

No, you're right. That's what I'm struggling with - conveying a bit of personality but keeping shit under 500 words. Gah. Thanks for looking at it. I'll have another play with it tomorrow.

And for reference, here's their Gears of War review from last November. I'd be replacing the wanker who can't speak properly.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:31 AM
ceramic'cow
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I'd be replacing the wanker who can't speak properly.
that could be either of them.

and who rates video games out of ten poultry birds?
Old 02-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Tom
BttKBtKt!

Hay guys I got an audition on monday lol.