Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > bound.

Old 05-31-2006, 01:39 AM
sanblaster
Niet een Engelsman

Re: Comic Recomendations
Venom vs Carnage

Iron Man: House of M

the new Transformers comics, I think they win with the amerimanga fever.

Marvel Zombies (if only for the laughs)

Batman: Jekyll & Hyde

The Metal Gear comics are pretty cool too, but they are a transcription of the videogames, hence no interesting plot to discover if you already played them..
Pass me the ventolin I need some more
We have ways of making you think
They told me over a drink
Old 05-31-2006, 02:28 AM
Kennrr
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit

Superman: Red Son by Mark Millar (and the artist I can't remember). Y'know how Kal-El landed in the heart of Kansas and was raised on American values? Well, scratch that; Kal-El landed in the Ukraine and was raised on Soviet values, becoming the heir to Stalin. Think about Superman's powers of sight and hearing, and he becomes the scariest Big Brother ever imagined. Just a great twist on a story we all know by heart.

holy fuck does that sound intersting. i think i'm going to drop by the comic store tomorrow for this.

another recommendation would be WE3. Homeward Bound + Robocop
Old 05-31-2006, 05:26 AM
Malt Refund
croatoa

I hated Red Sun.. it could have been so much better then it was.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:22 PM
gambit
magic city writer

Bah, it was brilliant.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:25 PM
adam
blue

Oooooh yeah! I'd second The Maxx! That comic is aces.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:43 PM
Skie
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by darktrain
Edit1: my favorite two comics of all time are collected nicely in trades: The Maxx and Preacher. MUST READS!
The Maxx was one of the first series I started collecting. I wish I'd have collected all of them. I didn't know there were trade paperbacks. Maybe I'll look into what number I collected to and either pick up the trade paperbacks that finish it up. If I only need a couple to get the full series, I'll see how expensive it is to go that route.

I heard Preacher was cool, but it was too far in the series by the time I thought about collecting it. I own quite a few of the shorter series that Image made around that time. Pitt and The Maxx are the two I wish I'd have collected all of.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:48 AM
adam
blue

So I was unpacking my stuff yesterday (I just moved) and I found Johhny the Homicidal Maniac. This is a must. A MUST. It comes in a nice hardcover edition too. He also has a two comic series - I Feel Sick - that I actually like better, but read JTHM first.

Also, there are two additional Sandman books not part of the main series, that are written by Gaiman, that people might not be aware of. Endless Nights is a beautiful book, one story for each of the endless, each with a different artist (also available in hardcover). There's also...uhhh...I can't remember the other one, but he adapted a Japanese folktale into a Morpheus story (in prose) and the guy who does a bunch of Final Fantasy artwork did paintings for it. That's killer too.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Kennrr
mouseman

Adam - I thought Endless Nights is part of the Sandman series. The other one your talking about is Dream Hunters with illustrations by Yoshitaka Amano

JTHM I use to really really dig Johen Vasquez stuff couple years back, but looking back JTHM is just screaming with teen angst/hot topic-ness. maybe its because of those people that love his work so much. don't let me sway you from it though, its still good with some funny/gores. I recommend Squee over JTHM only because it has less of the mindless rambling.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:38 AM
adam
blue

I really don't think JHTM has to do with teen angst issues, really...he did do Invader Zim, after all. I think he was just (unfortunately) over-championed by that group. He does make a lot of fun of some of them, too.

Also: find Spider Man's Kraven's Last Hunt collection if you're interested in mainstream stuff. That's good too.