Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:56 AM
Leon
bungalow

Re: DJ Shadow - Endtroducing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Proof
as if it is actually talking about and explaining what just happened in the track...
Funny how you describe that, I have the exact same thing (not only with this song)
Old 12-06-2007, 03:24 AM
sanakan
junkie-criminal-fugitive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm skyscraper
It's always weird when you hear a sample in a movie. 'What Does Your Soul Look Like (Part 1)' [the one on Preemptive Strike, not sure about the Endtroducing version] has a part that goes "Don't you want to listen? No, I heard it the last time." and that comes from the movie Westworld, which I didn't see until after hearing the song. When I saw the movie it was like deja vu, but I actually had heard it before.

hehe, i had a similar experience with this sample from What Does Your Soul Look Like - Pt2:
Quote:
In a few moments you will have an experience which will seem completely real...
it will be the result of your subconscious fears, transformed to your conscious awareness...
you have 5 seconds to terminate this tape...
5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
it's a sample from project brainstorm, which i saw a few times in german, but about a year ago i saw the english version, where some army guy speaks this as a warning for the audience for a particulary nasty recording.
i was like: "aahhhhhhaaaa!! that's where it is from!"
Old 12-06-2007, 05:36 AM
mmm skyscraper
fac123

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanakan

it's a sample from project brainstorm, which i saw a few times in german, but about a year ago i saw the english version, where some army guy speaks this as a warning for the audience for a particulary nasty recording.
i was like: "aahhhhhhaaaa!! that's where it is from!"
I have that movie too, but I knew the sample source before I saw it. I still expect the track to keep going though instead of the tape ending.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:28 AM
sanblaster
Niet een Engelsman

If memory serves me, I remember him last summer at Summercase saying to the crowd that we wouldn't listen to his samples anywhere else because he made them all himself. Not so sure he was also referring to the vocal samples, though.
Pass me the ventolin I need some more
We have ways of making you think
They told me over a drink
Old 12-06-2007, 01:08 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanblaster
If memory serves me, I remember him last summer at Summercase saying to the crowd that we wouldn't listen to his samples anywhere else because he made them all himself. Not so sure he was also referring to the vocal samples, though.
hmm...
I'd say you either sort of misheard him - or he was referring to his most recent album

although - come to think of it... there are at least two songs that are based off of samples on "The Outsider"

maybe he was just talking about the scarcity of the source elements of the tracks. Like, a lot of the sampled songs are fuckoff rare - or in the case of "This Time" ... if memory serves me, was from a solitary recording (as in, no one else has the record/acetate save him)

like, the original guy who's sang the song just did it in one of those waaay old 'recording booths' back in the day, and there was only one pressing

(edit)
and I also had one of those sort of 'deja vu' experiences as well w/ Shadow
the transmission after "What Does Your Soul Look Like (Pt 1)" - there's a vocal bit that goes "It's happening again... It's happening... again" is from the Second Season of Twin Peaks
Old 12-07-2007, 03:23 AM
Tiger
Freaknik!

i'm a student of the drum
You take the piss again and i'll remove your iPod from its tiny nano-sheath and push it up your cock. Then i'll put some speakers up your arse and put it on shuffle every time i hear something i don't like - which will be every time that something comes on - i will skip to the next track by crushing your balls.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:59 PM
TheRev
mouseman

I forgot exactly which song it is (or I'm confusing it with something from FSOL) but I remember when I saw Altered States and heard the guy go "This is beyond even mass or energy, what we're back to is the first THOUGHT!" I had one of those moments...

But yeh - this is one of those essential albums. Didn't some magazine or something do a list of top albums of the 90's and this was #2?
Old 12-22-2007, 08:59 AM
AussieDamper
thatpeskyleprechaunisback

Entroducing is a fantastic albulm without doubt one of my favourites but his latest albulm "The Outsider" is utter rubbish!!! I hated it with a passion and gave the C.D away to a mate i was that disgusted. I dont do that very often only 3 times i can remmember. Adore by smashing pumpkins, and Pretty Fly for a white guy by Offspring (Hey i was in high school and Smash and Xnay on the ombre are still good albulms.)
Old 12-22-2007, 09:26 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

that's funny - I think "Adore" is my favorite album of theirs... sure at first, I really didn't like it. But then one (bad) day, I happened to throw it on, and I just 'got' it

kinda like Tricky's "Angels with Dirty Faces"

but needless to say - yes, the Outsider sucked. Although, if the album was sequenced a bit differently and maybe if you switched some b-sides (or alt versions of tracks) with the album tracks... it would've been a "good" album - or at least EP
Old 12-24-2007, 01:04 AM
undarrenworld
bungalow

Shadow is master!
Endtroducing? One of my first album I bought