Dirty Forums > moments.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2010, 08:37 PM
Rabbitwork
river

Re: 2010-10-30 - 4th and B, San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
Rez also had an almost Kitten-esque quality that night.
glad to know i'm not the only one who heard something "kitten-esque" going on there. i was ready to lose my mind (i did anyway, but kitten would've been a real treat).

this was my first UW show (fan for 13 years and counting) and i could tell even from hearing/watching live recordings that karl was not his usual self at the start. once i saw a smile from him during i think it was two months off it was like a sign things were going to be alright. i do have to say that this is the first time i've ever been at a live gig (for any band) where i completely forgot i was watching a band perform music. an unusual sense of calm and belonging settled in about halfway through the performance and now that the show is over it feels like i went to an amazing place that hopefully someday i can return to, and not just a simple show with some boys of essex twiddling knobs and strumming guitars.

the born slippy performance nuxx was out of this world. met some awesome fans in line (not sure if any of you were dirts) and the crowd was great. amazing show all around.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:51 PM
SappysCurry
can you feel this bass?

I totally thought Rez was Kittens at first.

What a great night. The boys did indeed wreck the joint. Kind of nice without all the visual hoopla and just having a good night of music.

I had no idea Karl was under the weather, though he did seem less jumpy. The whole gig had a quality about it that reminded me of seeing them in the late 90's. Maybe it was just the stripped down nature of the show. It felt like the House of Blues gig in Vegas many, many years ago.

Even the costumes didn't get in the way of our enjoyment. Now for the negative, Black Audio was awful. We got there halfway through their set and it still felt like it went on for hours....and man, is 4th and B a dump.

A great night, a great setlist...and now on to the Shrine for the last stand.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:00 PM
Rabbitwork
river

i didn't think blaqk audio was too bad. i'm not a huge fan but i'm familiar with a handful of their tracks and its not bad. they were kind of shoved off to the side there and clearly someone forgot to turn half the lights on for the first 2.5 songs. i thought davey (singer) was pretty entertaining to watch. the sound quality was terrible though, i could barely make his singing other than mostly noise.

on the other hand, fernando or dj fernando or "some guy who bought a macbook" whatever his name was, the dj before blaqk and in-between was an absolute zero. apparently to dj you don't have a) stick with a genre or semi-related genres b) know how to pick an appropriate order of songs or c) even know how to beatmatch, just fade one track out or stop playing it altogether. absolute garbage.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:37 PM
Troy McClure
I'm the Spoonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SappysCurry View Post
I totally thought Rez was Kittens at first.

What a great night. The boys did indeed wreck the joint. Kind of nice without all the visual hoopla and just having a good night of music.

I had no idea Karl was under the weather, though he did seem less jumpy. The whole gig had a quality about it that reminded me of seeing them in the late 90's. Maybe it was just the stripped down nature of the show. It felt like the House of Blues gig in Vegas many, many years ago.

Even the costumes didn't get in the way of our enjoyment. Now for the negative, Black Audio was awful. We got there halfway through their set and it still felt like it went on for hours....and man, is 4th and B a dump.

A great night, a great setlist...and now on to the Shrine for the last stand.

I was at the Vegas gig in '99, too. That was the ultimate in a stripped down Underworld show. If memory serves me correctly, that place was smaller than 4th and B.

Made it back to Phoenix in one piece. I don't know how it will take me to be able to listen to the CD versions of last night's setlist without the glorious performances of last night rooted in my brain.

I will run through a brick wall for a boot of this show.

Jason
Old 10-31-2010, 11:58 PM
klingklang
mouseman

I totally forgot to ask, but did anyone get a download code last night? I didn't see anyone passing anything out. Is there any way we can prove with our stubs or receipt that we saw a non-festival show and get the download because I really, really, really would have loved to have gotten that (they should have given them out when we entered the venue).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
I will run through a brick wall for a boot of this show.
Hopefully you won't have to. I got it, but I moved up after Blaqk Audio's fans left and therefore lost most of the sound coming off the stacks. So hopefully another person was able to capture a better recording. I'm burnt out after an exhausting Amtrak trip home (delayed thanks to Vandenberg deciding to launch a Delta II, which they then decided not to launch...ugh), but I'll see how bad my recording turning out after I get that elusive thing called sleep.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:14 AM
saintrik
temperature drops

No one was handing the download cards out after the show, but the cards were sitting in a large bucket right by door. I grabbed a few, and will be glad to pass these onto the folks that I know were at the show...
Old 11-01-2010, 01:21 AM
Troy McClure
I'm the Spoonman

Someone posted a few clips on YouTube....not full videos, but a decent representation of the show.

user name: 'moviebruin'

ALAF 4 minute clip:

TMO 2 1/2 minute clip:

TMO into Scribble 2 1/2 minute clip:
'ESSEX is a state of mind'

Rez / Cowgirl 5 & 3/4 minute clip: (The clip starts about 3 minutes into Rick / Darren mind-fucking us with drums)

Cowgirl 2.5 minute clip (later in the song):

Diamond Jigsaw / King of Snake 6 minute clip:

different youtube user:
NUXX 9:52 clip

Jason
Old 11-01-2010, 06:26 AM
kagenaki koe
children are futura

i got to the venue early so i managed to get parking at the venue, took pic of the gear when i paid for parking

i wasn't planning on doing any recording so i only had my cell with me, i was fairly sure my shooting was crap, but i thought i'd share these vids anyway (i didn't convert these or anything, they are all in 3gp format):

1) after i parked, i went to the front of the venue (the doors were open since they were either moving some stuff in or out) and music started playing so i snuck in to see who it was. I was there for about 2 or 3 minutes before i went outside (posted it in this thread), then went back and decided to record the rehearsal (sorry, i was trying to be discreet, i held the camera by my stomach so it's not aimed or focused on anything). I didn't know Karl was sick that day, but his voice was definitely clearer during the run thru. When I stopped recording, I turned around and there were about 5-7 people further behind me (i guess a few other dirties were there?). It would be another 4 or 5 minutes before one of the 4th&B guys kicked us out.

(right click and save these to download)
http://alaundre.com/mixes/uw1.3gp

2) the first 24 minutes of the show (audio/video quailty isn't that good, i've never really used the video feature on the phone). It's split up into 4 files cuz I couldn't make up my mind whether I should just watch the show or keep recording so there's about a few seconds up to a minute gap between the files (the 3rd link is 800 MBs)
http://alaundre.com/mixes/uw2.3gp
http://alaundre.com/mixes/uw3.3gp
http://alaundre.com/mixes/uw4.3gp
http://alaundre.com/mixes/uw5.3gp

I'll leave the links up just for a week, you guys are free to do what you want with them.

Reading back on this thread, I guess Rabbitwork was the guy I was chatting with at the front of the line and at the very front of the show. As i was leaving the parking lot, i spotted Nate & Jillian from Omaha (don't know if they're dirties, but they were with us at the front of the line) and I offered them a ride back to their hotel.

Also, they were handing out the video cards sometime after they opened the doors (got mine when i was hanging out at the front of the stage...but there were only a handful of people inside the venue at that point.)

Last edited by kagenaki koe; 11-01-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:12 PM
darktrain