Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > craft.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:22 AM
Camiel
Audio in Distress

NY club scene
Last Saturday I was visiting the Amsterdam Dance Event (a yearly festival/conference) and some of my demos got the attention. Especially someone called Jackie McCloy (apparently a legendary deejay from the 70's) contacted me and he is interested in my tracks. As far as I understand he manages some record pools on the eastcoast of the US. Now, (electronic) dance music might be huge in Europe, I know that it is much more fragmented in the US. Can anyone tell me more about the NY club scene?
Old 10-27-2008, 10:06 AM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Re: NY club scene
Think Hollywood's vicious?

Old 10-27-2008, 10:07 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Congrats on the interest in your music - you deserve it! Hope it works out.

I'm not in NY myself, so i can't say what the club scene is like nowadays. But you're right that in general, the US is pretty oblivious to electronic music, at least on a mainstream level. Sure, there are pockets where it's big (Detroit, Chicago, NY, Miami, other larger cities) or there's a great club or DJ scene. But it's sadly much more of a niche genre than in Europe.
I guess the closest we got to electronic music on the Pop charts or in the popular consciousness was the "electronica" revolution of 1997 that never happened (Chemical Brothers, Prodigy and Crystal Method got a lot of attention and airplay here), or maybe ~2000 when Moby's "Play" came out.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:32 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

I'd suggest you just keeping doing what you're doing.

That's all you need to know.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:01 PM
TheRev
mouseman

The club scene in New York has changed a lot in the last few years, a lot of the bigger clubs moved over to caterig to the bottle service crowd. Some clubs in Brooklyn started picking up the slack (see Studio B) and smaller clubs continue to thrive (Cielo and Sullivan Room). Loft parties still go strong with folks like Minimoo still contributing, despite the organisational failure of their recent music festival. There is also a moderately healthy Burner culture that throws parties semi-regularly.

Electronic music in general is not well accepted in the States but there are definitely still pockets of activity in New York.

To get a feel for the type of events that happen you can check out www.rhythmism.com and their events calendar. i wouldn't take the opinion of anyone on the message board however as a good temperature gauge on the scene.

Any other questions, hit me up there or on email therev at techfunk dot org. I don't get on here much.

But I think the best advice is definitely, keep doing what you are doing.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:20 AM
Camiel
Audio in Distress

Thanks all!