Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:41 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Re: New Underworld album - Barking (Sept. 13, Sept 2 Japan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Proof View Post
Coming from a group of guys that brought Darren Emerson in to add the final spice to their tracks, I'm not at all concerned. This is Underworld's album, not PvD or High Contrast's and I'm sure that everything that made it to the record will be unmistakably Underworld, and not hijacked.
yeah, im not worried about this either.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:24 PM
purlieu
enofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethelion View Post
I mean - "Scribble" doesn't sound THAT far removed from the "Underworld sound" (like it doesn't not sound like UW)
Really? I've played the track to quite a few people and the response has been uniformly "that's Underworld?!", in both positive and negative lights. My girlfriend (an Underworld fan) has banned me from playing it when she's around, while another mate of mine didn't like them much until this song. Take away the vocals (and maybe the breakdown) and it sounds nothing like Underworld I find. Truth is, I've followed them for years, and enjoyed their incorporation of housey elements and techno elements and the occasional breaks, but I don't enjoy poppy drum'n'bass that reminds me of Chase & Status. Neither do I enjoy anything Paul Van Dyk has ever been near. I'm not interested in buying High Contrast's music or Dubfire's really. It's a shame I can't buy new Underworld without having that involved. Hmmm.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:09 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i've never heard that version- that's amazing. way better than what i've heard.
It sounds just like the live versions.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:33 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

speaking of girlfriends, mine (being a casual fan) thought scribble was "odd".

"it's odd because: you have underworld, and they're usually a bit better... i mean at least a bit weirder than most other music like this. but this song isnt either of those, so you have just an average song and it's kinda boring, but this is underworld, so that's really weird."

which i suppose is more concise and level headed than me just pretending it hardly exists.

then we both shrugged and mumbled something about "they're just getting old i guess"
Old 06-07-2010, 05:05 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Just checking the news now. "Barking" -fantastic! Recalls the Barking mix of King of Snake (excellent) and of course Barney (wink wink).

Well, as mentioned above, i'll hold off judgement on any of the collaborations until i hear them. personally, i think this is UW keeping it fresh, being inspired by fairly new producers with distinct styles, and being willing to have their music shaped to appeal to an even broader demographic of EDM listeners. No doubt it'll be unmistakeably Underworld, and since we're not guaranteed singles or EPs to hear remixes, the LP versions will be the definitive versions for a while - in which case, one will be hard-pressed to determine how much was UW production and howw much was collaborative/additional production.

When i saw "Always Loved a Film" and "Moon in Water" on there, my heart fluttered with happy. Finally, a finished album version of ALAF - and considering how solid the collab with Knight & Ramirez on "Downpipe" was, i'm sure this'll rock. And as for Moon in Water- that one seems to strike a deep nerve in me...reallly hoping this becomes an epic track on par with Juanita....
Old 06-07-2010, 05:09 PM
purlieu
enofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
personally, i think this is UW keeping it fresh, being inspired by fairly new producers with distinct styles, and being willing to have their music shaped to appeal to an even broader demographic of EDM listeners.
I thought they were sounding 'fresh' enough already without letting others change their sound for popularity.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:15 PM
holden
collateral damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by purlieu View Post
I thought they were sounding 'fresh' enough already without letting others change their sound for popularity.
Agree, we never know what to expect from Smith & Hyde, they tackle so many styles well, and are always up for experimenting - chalk this up to more of the same spirit of turning expectations on their ear?

If it makes us feel any better, UW have been at this a lonng time and certainly know what they're doing and have a very high standard of quality control (i.e. there are very few tracks that are universally panned, and even those have their fans and have redeeming qualities)...i'm sure they ddn't let the collaborators ruin anything, nor are they going to release anything they're not proud to put their name on.

when a single gets remixed, typically it's at the label's behest, not the band's. "Barking" is an UW album with collaborators certainly picked or preferred by UW themselves.

Let's just hopee summer moves along quickly, or there are more promos to hear before Sept.!
Old 06-07-2010, 05:36 PM
holden
collateral damage

Ok, so who knows who wrote the official press release but...

"All the tracks were written by the band in their Essex studio before being given to handpicked studio heads from across the whole spectrum of dance music to add some of their style and creativity to the band’s raw material. The result is a pimped-up Underworld record and their finest collection of songs in over a decade."

This assures us that the colaborators were chosen by the band, at least.

And also, what's this - finest collection in over a decade? Thatimplees this is better than "A Hundred Days Off" (ok, the band admit that was a safe bet) and "Oblivion with Bells" ? (interesting, since karl was quoted as saying that OWB was the album Rick always wanted to make.) Hmm.

In any case, the album is aimed for the dancefloor - if it approaches the heights of Beaucoup Fish in that regard, it'll be outstanding, imho.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:42 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub View Post
I wonder if Always Loved A Film will have the same lyrics as the version from Brixton on Nov. 1, 2008.

I think this is going to be a great album. I love 5 of these songs in the versions i've heard so unless the collaborators really fucked them up, it's going to be crazy good.
I'm thinking the same thing. Pretty much guaranteed this album is going to rule. If the 3 "new" tracks are as good as the rest, this may be their best album.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:00 PM
the mongoose
talks to God

Moon in Water is one of my favorite tracks from last year.....I put it on almost every time I go in the hot sauna at the gym. So this is great news (High Contrast better not fuck it up though).