Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > moments.

Old 11-15-2005, 01:41 AM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

Re: Road Trip or what?!!!111ONES! Part 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Snake
aren't you forgetting someone...?

No..... I don't think so.....

Wait, hang on!

Who was that really YOUNG looking guy with blue eyes?

(Hugs, hon )
Old 11-15-2005, 08:37 AM
gaborez
everythingeverythingevery

sounds like you guys had a fantastic trip
you must be exhausted. i was zonked after 1 show in luxembourg!
i dunno how KH does it...
Old 11-15-2005, 09:02 AM
lloyd
bungalow

yeah, returning home at 5am on sunday from ILT to get to work at 2pm for late shift was bad after 4 days of dirtytour.
Deep respect for Karl the bouncing dancer.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:49 AM
Jim Adorno
bullet proof

Send a message via MSN to Jim Adorno
Re: Luxemburg / ILT 11/12-11-2005
Hey,

I was wondering ... Did you guys saw the performance of Tom Hades at ILT, and did you liked it?

Greetz,
Jim
Old 11-16-2005, 04:18 AM
Céj
Alice in the underground

Send a message via MSN to Céj
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Snake
aren't you forgetting someone...?
and by the time they made it to Gent she was to tired to remember me
Old 11-17-2005, 04:50 AM
lloyd
bungalow

this unique gig..
Yeah I left some people out of my reports till now too I noticed. Most important of all, Janie. Great to have you with us on tour, translating and speaking french, keeping us men a little human and good confersation at times. And not to forget, getting tickets for us.

Luxembourg l'Atelier 11-11-2005.

I drove 270km from my house to the trainstation in Luxemburg city for this one. On my way there I noticed that the network on my mobile phone chanced and although at the website of my network it said I could use my pre-paid phone anywhere in the EU, it didn't. Hmm bummer, cos I wanted to call the others to join up somewhere on the highway. Holland is almost flat apart from the south, there are a few larger hills there. But when you get to Gent in Belgium, the road is going up quite steep (still no mountains tho). Addepting speed on these big hills is something you have to learn by doing it more often I guess so I was constantly trying to be under maximum speed because of the high tickets you get in Belgium nowdays for speeding. Pretty intensive drive all in all. Also because it was rushhour by the time I got into Luxemburg city and I trafficjammed all the way to the trainstation.
Good I wrote down the address of the hotel the others were staying at for the gig I couldn't ask them by phone. I parked my car at what I thought was the long-parking place near the trainstation. I walked down to the hotel after asking directions at the tourist stand. Found the hotel but couldn't find my way in! The enterance was a elevator up to the reception, it took me a little while to understand that. I went to the reception counter already racing my mind to remember the names under which the others would have made reservations.. We always use the dirty nicknames when talking to eachother. But I did remember Raz's and could ask if he did check in already, but he didn't. So I waited. After about 30 minutes they were there too and we went up to our rooms.
Because we were all bit tired from the day before and the drive to Lux and arrived later then we tought, we decided not to go to the meeting place. Stimp already had phoned/msg'ed the people who contacted him that we weren't going to make it far earlier. We gathered in one hotelroom and then left to find the venue and looked where we could wait till the doors were open and have a drink. This was at the Elevator bar where we found flyers of DJ gig by Darren at the Pub Club later that night. We had a few drinks, jason was showing off his new camera (everybody wants one now!) talked
dirty(.org) and other stuff. The barowener came to pickup the flyers and told us that the party was off but Darren was going to DJ in the backroom of the Elevator after the gig. Great!
Then we went next door to l'Atelier for the concert. After our tickets were checked we walked in the enterance hall with cloackroom and left our coats and bags there. Then went into the venue.
We already had seen pictures of it at their website and knew it was small, but it was even smaller then we thought! After the 2200 people that fitted in the 013, tilburg, this was a <600 people (still can't find a real number for it) venue! Cozy!

The stage is placed in one corner, a long bar at the opposite side allong the wall and there is a wide balcony with seats. The height of the stage is about 1 meter and there is a fench less then a meter away from it. We all found a spot at or very near the fench, drank some 1/2 liter Bofferdings (luxemburg beer) while waiting for what was coming and talking about this tiny place and how good it was to see Underworld here. The place filled up with people, it was crowded but not to much. We looked at the stage, not a big amount of lights hanging up, no place to hang the projectionscreens here either but to compensate that we could read the paperstrips R&D use on the mixers! We met a_lot_of_poisson there. Great to meet you!

Then the band came on stage, cheers, waves, applause... Rick and Darren and the stagehand did the last tweaks on the gear and Karl welcomed the audience. The spotlightman instructed the securityguards because of the very tiny workspace he had, about a foot wide, kicked it clean of bottles and plastic glasses. First tune kicks in.
This was going to be a night to never forget. The band and all the gear at armslenght, a concert that was going to last 3 hours Karl dancing just in front of you, very intimate club with most of the crowd that probably never saw them live. And you could notice the latter, it took some time before the audience to really get into it, also because the long pieces they played (when to clap???). But after the first mix ended the audience went pretty wild to cheer to their heros and the crowd reaction only got bigger each tune.
During the whole of the concert there was a videocamera pointed at the band, setup on a stand at the side of the stage and the stagehand was filming the band from all angles possible and also filmed the audience lots of times with another camera. At one point the camera was in my face for the bst part of a minute... it felt that long anyway.

They played some of the new tracks and a couple of pieces we already did hear at the HMH and 013 gigs in different mixes with Karl ofcourse adding his trademark samples with his pioneer cdplayer. Nice flow of tunes which got the audience really going by the time the big gun tunes blasted out of the speakers. I had the idea that the newer stuff was appriciated by the Luxemburg crowd real well, although the reaction took some time to come, the were big cheers like everywhere else we've seen them when a new one kicked in.
Karl had enough space to dance around and he did.. singing, cheering, shouting out to rick and darren and the audience
and all real close to us! Sad that the guitar never left it's stand, we'd have had a real good look at it there I LOVE that guitar.
Because we were so close to the stage there was a minus too. We had our left nostril on one and our right nostril on the other smokemachine. And it was used quite a lot.. This made me feel not to well at one point and I left the fench for a little more air, I saught a spot to have a good look and some fresh(er) air. I went up onto the balcony but the air was even thicker there but had a nice view of the stage. The balcony is above the long bar so the edge is some 5 meters from the stage at closest. I went downstairs again and found a spot at about 3 meters from the fench, enough space to dance, better airquality and in front of the speakers. When I looked around there, I noticed that the % of girls/women in the audience was far bigger then I ever had seen at any underworld concert! Luxemburg girls love you guys! Good to see more girls digging your music.

We got peggy sussed, lenny penne, juanita, spikee!, BS original!!, KoS, Moaner, cowgirl/rez, the Darren drops a dub track, dark train and dark train as encore (?) and some others flowing into eachother mixed over by the special underworld sauce with different lyrics and samples from everywhere making this a very special one. At all the time during this concert, a lot of things were happening in the sound, rick and darren tweaking more then ever, dropping in little sounds and variations everywhere.
Dark Train as an encore ended this one off show, if I never am able to see them again I still could die happy to have been witness to this one. Looong cheers, loud applause and a crowd that was treated to the best underworld show to date (I think). Karl thanked the audience and waved rick and darren to come to the edge of the stage, Rick adjusted his hairdo in great theatrical way and pushed darren who was minding the gear to greet the audience. Bows, clapping to thank the crowd, handshakes with the one at the fench, waves for the people a bit further from it and pointing out the ones at the balcony....
And then it was over. Left with a big chill because of this unique experience and all beefed up by the 'techno' roar we lingered about a few minutes and went back to the Elevator Bar again. I've reported about that in another post.
When that bar closed (Hey! no darren pricey DJ'ing there???) we went back into the direction of the hotel were Janie, Raz and I went into the hotel and the rest went on to party a little more. Sleep. Waking up pretty late and then we checked out of the hotel. Mister Ouwe? No, it's (raz's real surename). Close enough though Then we went to the hotels lunchroom to wait for the others, found out that Stimp dosn't like Bofferding as much as he did the night before, eat some nice food and gathered our things to leave. I payed for my parkingspot, 30E for 19 hours, no long parkingspace after all and waited for the others to drive up to the trainstation to follow them to the highway. And so we were on our way to gig #4 at I Love Techno in Gent Belgium.

Last edited by lloyd; 11-17-2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:07 AM
Icke
mouseman

Re: this unique gig..
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd
After the 5500 people that fitted in the 013, tilburg, this was a <600 people (still can't find a real number for it) venue! Cozy!
013 has a capacity of around 2200 people, iirc. Definitly not 5500. Thats about the size of the HMH i think.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:13 AM
lloyd
bungalow

Sorry yes you are right, 2200 max. ILT was 5500.. edited, thnx
Old 11-17-2005, 11:57 AM
elysiumamsterdam
crazycrazycrazycrazy.....

great story.........
Old 11-17-2005, 12:06 PM
Leon
bungalow

Re: Luxemburg / ILT 11/12-11-2005
Great story Lloyd! a great read.

It's just very very very very VERY great how people come here after an Underworld gig and see how uplifted they are!! It's just fucking amazing!
I myself was in some sort of extase feeling even 3 days after the second 013 gig! amazing!!!!