Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:56 PM
the mongoose
talks to God

the Crystal Method - Divided by Night
First single from the Crystal Method's new album titled "Divided by Night", ripped from internet radio show.

"Drown in the Now" featuring Matisyahu
>>>Click<<<
Old 03-31-2009, 02:46 PM
tinyman
mouseman

Re: the Crystal Method - Divided by Night
what is that? 40-something MB for a song? i'll wait for the radio to play it. what you make of it? their last album Legion of Boom really didn't do it for me. but i'm in what seems to be an extremely small minority that likes Tweekend. i'd go so far as to say i liked Tweekend the best. Gasp!
Old 04-01-2009, 08:09 AM
the mongoose
talks to God

It's a "WAV" file rip of the Internet stream....that way it didnn't get more compressed or whatever...but yeah, that's why it's so large. If you want, you can now find it streaming at Youtube:

<--------- Make sure to click "HQ" in order to listen in better quality.

This song actually reminds me of Tweekend which is my personal favorite TCM cd. I've got no fucking idea what Matisyahu is saying for the most part, but it's a damn catchy tune.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:22 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Thanks for this - looking forward to the new TCM album! I can't believe how long it's been since "Legion of Boom".

I'm always a little scared when bands like TCM, Chemical Brothers, even Royksopp's latest, have so many vocalists collaborating, often a bunch i'm not too keen on. But hey, i guess it broadens the net of appeal and adds some variety. Still, i love these bands for their tunes and beats, not necessarily the vocal tracks.

Just my two cents...TCM has their own sound, sure, but they have kind of been scene-jumpers.
Consider:
"Vegas", while a classic that holds up well, was branded "U.S. big beat" when that genre was flying high.
"Tweekend" sort of followed on the rock-rap nonsense of the late 90's (something that caries over to "Legion of Boom" with the guitar noises of Wes Borland)
Around the time of "Legion of Boom" and the 2nd "Community Service" mix, the Method was trying hard to be a breaks band.

Still, they're coming to my town in May, and i'll be sure to check 'em out.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:19 AM
viddy
pro tooler

Send a message via AIM to viddy
I too really enjoyed Tweekend, and really hated Legion of Boom. This new track sounds promising though. :-)
Old 05-30-2009, 01:31 AM
the mongoose
talks to God

New album is great...their sound has really matured over the past couple of years!

1. Divided By Night - a reggae tinged apetizer with vocoders and classic TCM synth work.

2. Dirty Thirty - Is it basically an instrumental "Now is the Time" rehash?...uh, yeah probably. But it actually sounds more like a sequel to it with Chemical Brothers WOOOT WOOOOOOOOO!!!!! sort of sounds blending with stuff that sounds like early Moby. Nice build ups and bridges, overall some great production. Turn it up.

3. Drown In the Now - Love it or hate it. Everyone's probably heard it by now so I won't go into much detail.
"righteousness of the light shall prevail...."

4. Kling to the Wreckage - TCM doing glam punk pop....a grower track though. The lyrics are pretty deep and ultimately catchy once you've heard it a few times. Really a lot going on in the background.

5. Smile? - Slow, yet busy track that progresses nicely. Builds like a trance track and then turns into a more TCM sounding tweak fest........then actually transforms into a spirited breaks fest that Orbital would probably be jealous of....and then back again.

6. Sine Language - LMFAO does a great job breaking any techno monatomy occurring on the album so far by turning things into a mildly entertaining hip hop affair....but not without some cool electronics to polish it up and ultimately extend it past the two main verses and the prominent chorus.

7. Double Down Under - "Go Down!" Great track to drive or run on a treadmill too. Some funky militant beat brakedowns that Janet Jackson would Rhythm Nation out to happens occasionally, whilst a neuroticly agressive synth laden vibe continues to permeate.

8. Come Back Clean - they probably wish they could have gotten Madonna, ha ha. Interesting track but not really my style of TCM....sure to be a hit with happy housey dancey lovers. Definately a showcase for TCM as competent producers for vocal tracks. "Where I land I don't care I don't give a damn (make it up)"

9. Slipstream - funky haunted sounding sci-fi track with some redeeming qualities. Not the best track on the album, but certainly not the worst........

10. Black Rainbows - ........the worst track on the album has to certainly be this piece of shit. "She danced with her hair down.....danced with her hair down"..........Who gives a fuck?!? Skip. Ugh.

11. Blunts and Robots - Bass guitar heavy classic TCM track that evolves into a squelshy, put the petal to the metal affair.....complete with trippy trance breakdown and rebuild into blissful sample laden squelsh. One of, if not the best tracks on the album.

12. Falling Down - I rarely dig female vocals in tracks but this Lilith Fair worthy final track is a great way to exit this album. "Heaven help me now."

Last edited by the mongoose; 05-30-2009 at 01:33 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:53 PM
holden
collateral damage

Just got it and have only had two listens. It's catchy, there are a few really beautiful tracks ("Black Rainbows" in particular), but also a few that trigger the "skip" urge. Peter Hook's basslines are instantly recognizeable, although they aren't exactly cutting edge.
Plenty of singles, probably two or three guest vocalists too many.
I imagine this'll grow on me, and it's better than "Legion of Boom". it doesn't grab me like "Vegas" did or excite as much of "Tweekend" did, but it's a pretty satisfying record.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:02 PM
holden
collateral damage

ok, had a bunch more listens, and yes, it IS very much a grower.
I find myself wishing a few of the songs were instrumental (Sine Language has some sick hooks, but the rap isn't my speed), but this is probably the most melodic and varied of TCM's records.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:53 PM
den
100% of nothing

Send a message via AIM to den Send a message via MSN to den
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mongoose View Post
New album is great...their sound has really matured over the past couple of years!

I don't care much for the Crystal Method, but that is a great review of an album. Much more useful than just saying, "Yo, check out 'Artist - Album Name'. It's the tits!"
Old 06-13-2009, 03:13 PM
IsiliRunite
de la Michigan

Send a message via AIM to IsiliRunite
I would have appreciated more time spent on the album doing Crystal Method characteristic song change-ups and such, as opposed to the frequent guest appearances locking up a song's groove. They seem like pop producers, instead of DJs

Last edited by IsiliRunite; 06-13-2009 at 03:20 PM.