Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > world.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Sean
Where in the world...?

President Obama
I didn't have to be at work today until after the inauguration, so the wife and I spent the morning watching it. Then on the way into work, I turned on talk radio to see what they had to say. The complaints were already starting. In Obama's speech, he said that:

"The question we ask today is not whether our government is too big or too small, but whether it works - whether it helps families find jobs at a decent wage, care they can afford, a retirement that is dignified."

Of course the way the host (Dennis Prager) and the callers talked about this statement, the word "help" was completely dropped from consideration, and the message apparently morphed into "the government will find and provide all of your jobs, and pay for everyone's health care". From there, the complaints flowed freely about how it's hypocritical of Obama to speak about personal responsibility, but then say that government will do everything for us (even though that's not what he said).

And beyond that, there was stunning bewilderment at Obama's statement that "we will transform our schools and colleges and universities to meet the demands of a new age." Apparently, none of Obama's detractors had any idea what he may have meant by this statement. I guess they were hoping for a detailed policy outline or something.

Luckily, they're just spouting this stuff out into a vacuum right now, so it's nothing more than an interesting opinion to hear about. And frankly, I'm in too good a mood right now about Obama being our President to be bothered by any of it.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Deckard
issue 37

Re: President Obama
I stopped listening to talk radio a while back - no good for my blood pressure.

Having said that, there's still the internet.

The current line from right-wing cretins is that Obama is not really President because he didn't read the words of the oath in the correct order, therefore he's illegitimate.

Umm, riight. Good luck with that.

Oh, and btw... Obama IN, Bush OUT, no sign of Palin, and Cheney in a wheelchair...
YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a day!

(I don't normally cheer at people in wheelchairs, honest... )
Old 01-20-2009, 04:42 PM
cured
sikk

I'm in DC right now and was at the reflecting pool in front of the capitol building when it all went down. First thing, Obama had the biggest pimp walk when he initially came out of the hall. Bush got the finger from thousands around us when he went into Marine One and was given one last tour of the Mall.

Obama's speech was good, not uplifting like I had hoped but real and rooted in history. There were no frowns in the crowd, though, and the whole time I've been here, the massive waves of people have been incredibly courteous and cheerful. Been a great trip so far...
Old 01-20-2009, 04:43 PM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
I only listen to very select shows. Dennis Prager is one of them, because while I disagree with a lot of what he says, he's generally respectful and has put thought into his positions. But not always....

Quote:
The current line from right-wing cretins is that Obama is not really President because he didn't read the words of the oath in the correct order, therefore he's illegitimate.

I guess they didn't catch that Obama was actually the President before he was even sworn in. CNN broadcast a little text window that President-elects legally become the acting President at noon on January 20, whether they've been sworn in or not.

Quote:
Oh, and btw... Obama IN, Bush OUT, no sign of Palin, and Cheney in a wheelchair...

It is kind of funny that he hurt his back moving boxes into his new home...
Old 01-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Deckard
issue 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
guess they didn't catch that Obama was actually the President before he was even sworn in. CNN broadcast a little text window that President-elects legally become the acting President at noon on January 20, whether they've been sworn in or not.
I never knew that. Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Funnier still hearing the names Dr Strangelove and Mr Potter banded around.

Cured, I envy you - must have been a great feeling to be there.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Troy McClure
I'm the Spoonman

Quote:

Having said that, there's still the internet.

From what I've read over many accounts, Chief Justice Roberts initiated the train wreck of the swearing in, and screwed up the lines.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...mnly-swear/?hp

Jason
Old 01-21-2009, 05:19 AM
rayray
pants

man - what a day ! off to work after taking the family to the event, the only thing more immense than the crowd was the vibe - it was electric happiness.

president obama - that sounds so perfect
Old 01-21-2009, 05:27 AM
Deckard
issue 37

See if you can spot yourself in amongst the all-seeing eye

inauguration day from space
Old 01-21-2009, 11:47 AM
chuck
i'm getting older too

Send a message via ICQ to chuck Send a message via AIM to chuck
I missed all this - power went off at our place about 7am - when the broadcast was starting - so I went for a run - then was in the garden, and mucking about the house.

I missed history. Dammit.

I watched the Daily Show coverage though - does that count?

I watched election night live - and in an odd way that was more inspirational - that was the "Yes! OMG! they did it!!" moment. I understand the need to party - but it would be nice to get on the long road and start doing the work.

- S. Colbert
Old 01-21-2009, 11:48 AM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

Quote:
As my hubby said when he heard of this: "Cheney really needs to look out for those stress positions!"