Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > world.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Re: Strange anger at Obama for Tuesday speech to schools
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mongoose View Post
Ah. Climate change denial, an impending Communist world government, Obama signing our "freedom, democracy and prosperity" away FOREVER....Lord Christopher Monckton has all the makings of a top-notch moron...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
Okay so what did Obama actually SAY in his speech to the kids in school? I think I missed it, and trawling through this thread has just revealed that the mongoose knows how to paste childish pictures from other sites rather than engage in meaningful and intelligent conversation. can someone please enlighten me? what was all the fuss about? did that guy on facebook ever reply?

I'm thinking about disabling inline images on the world forum.
Here's a link to the text of the speech. It contained such horrible and controversial statements as:

"...at the end of the day, we can have the most dedicated teachers, the most supportive parents, and the best schools in the world – and none of it will matter unless all of you fulfill your responsibilities. Unless you show up to those schools; pay attention to those teachers; listen to your parents, grandparents and other adults; and put in the hard work it takes to succeed."

But then things like the reality of what was said in this benign, in fact clearly positive speech is generally ignored by those who rabidly oppose Obama. Because the real goal isn't to expose truth, or make the country a better place. The real goal is to foment controversy, opposition, fear and paranoia of Obama in the run-up to this speech and anything else he does - like the stupidity on full display in Mongoose's link above. It's all purely political in it's motivations, and the ignorant masses are the ones who suffer for it.

Last edited by Sean; 10-19-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Strangelet
rico suave

I can't believe I'm saying this but mongoose might have a small point, no doubt a point he made unwittingly....

I don't think politicians are the right people we should be looking towards for solving energy crises. Its not just climate change, its the depletion of oil and the outpacing demand versus supply. In each case its our underlying foundational sources of energy that is the problem.

from a times uk article....

Quote:
This is not the postapocalyptic vision of some film-maker, but a realistic scenario as Britain grapples with a looming energy crisis. The statistics are frightening. In only eight years, demand for energy could outstrip supply by 23% at peak times, according to a study by the consultant Logica CMG. The loss to the economy could be £108 billion each year.
“The idea of the lights going out is not a fantasy. People seem to accept that security of energy supply is a right. It is not. The industry will have to work hard to maintain supply and for that we need a clear framework,” said Simon Skillings, director of strategy and energy policy at Eon UK, Britain’s largest integrated energy company.
The UK has two worn out nuclear reactors about to be scrapped, coal has been increasingly replaced by gas from the north sea to generate power, but those stocks are dwindling.

Maybe a suite of incentives, subsidies, taxes, and carbon caps, can steer the western free-ish markets into the right direction without shocking them, and that's assuming that maybe those attending cophenhagen are smart enough to figure out the recipe, and that's assuming that maybe they'll all agree and not have it cause more political hinderence through negative reactions. But that's a lot of maybes.

If I were Obama, I would say, oi. chill. I've got 600 billion dollars to spend that miraculously didn't go to the banks and the iraq war to invest in massive, unprecedented investment to engineering and scientific research outside of any corporate or political obligations.

- Mark Twain

Old 10-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Since this seems to have become the kind of all-purpose U.S. politics thread, I thought it may be a good place to link this Republican Party Census form from the RNC website. I was blown away by the level of manipulation going on in it. Here are a few of the most blatantly leading questions, but it's worth browsing through them all...

5. Do you oppose the Obama National Energy Tax, also known as “cap and trade,” which would skyrocket your utility bills and destroy jobs while having virtually no impact on the environment?

1. Do you oppose the Obama-Pelosi health care takeover plan that would bring Washington bureaucrats between doctors and patients, ration medical treatment and deny critical care while skyrocketing the national debt?

1. President Obama recently signed an executive order mandating taxpayer dollars be spent to pay for abortions in foreign countries. Should Republicans pass legislation to repeal this executive order?

1. If Barack Obama tries to gut the USA PATRIOT Act and other important laws that promote the safety and security of all Americans, should Republicans in Congress fight back?
Old 10-20-2009, 05:43 PM
the mongoose
talks to God

Yes to all of those.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:15 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	banksy_eat_the_rich.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	260  

Old 10-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Quote:
Yes to all of those.
That's "yes" to all of the most dishonest, leading, so-called "census" questions from the RNC? But wait, didn't you say...

Quote:
I'm a Democrat, I never watch Fox, and I hated Bush's job in command as well.
Yeah, right.

It's time to start being honest. If you're a Republican, that's fine. I have no issue with Republicans unless they're being douche-bags. Same with Democrats and my own group of registered independents for that matter. But if you're just being a poop-stirrer, then why not fess up?

Last edited by Sean; 10-21-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Strangelet
rico suave

http://www.theonion.com/content/news..._on_washington

Quote:
Throughout the day, the number of protesters grew to include not just morons, but more than 6,000 nimrods, 3,500 dunderheads, and approximately 12,000 of the biggest fucking dipshits known to man.

"No Social Security for Medicare!" Michigan idiot Kevin Liston added. "Not in my backyard!"

- Mark Twain