Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:44 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Re: Moon in Water
pretty surprised at the reception of this track. i think i only hate 'trim' more than this.
the drums are just awful. i'd expect this more out of that jon hopkins guy who helped produce those coldplay albums than underworld.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:00 PM
swift
suave. swell. swindle.

moon in water is absolutely brilliant. i would love to hear this in a finished release. it would be the ultimate opening or closing track to the next album (or both! as a reprise, with the repeating 'this is the time / when you realise' slowly fading out when the album comes down).

and imagine them opening a concert with it, where the track could evolve into a staggering live version of 8ball! after that, the beats can come in.

i must confess i have a crush on vicki, the mac voice. i used her predecessor victoria years ago for a cd release of a befriended band, trying to let her speak dutch poetry. and i was also once involved in a (never finished) project of computer generated literature concerning the shadow of a stone, cast by the moon. so the idea of this haiku-like image of moon and water, the factual tone in the lyrics, and the choice to have it half-sung by a computer generated voice, is so close to things floating around in my brain for years that i'm baffled. they've made all the right choices, also in music. it's one of many moments (dating back to doot-doot as a 13 year old) in which underworld/tomato turn out to be seemingly in sync with my personal development (or the other way around, as you wish).

damn.

moon in water is the best new song since you do scribble came up, both future classics. come on with these finished studio releases!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfox203 View Post
Speaking of, anyone want to take a gander at the MIW "lyrics?"
i came this far:

the phenomenon
'moon in the water'
is [my kind of?] human experience
the water is the subject
and the moon the object
when there is no water
there is no moon in the water
and likewise
there is no moon
but when the moon rises
the water does not wait
to receive its image
and when even the tiniest
drop of water is poured up
the moon does not wait
to cast its reflection
for the moon
does not intend
to cast its reflection
and the water
does not receive
its image on purpose
the image is caused
as much by the water
as by the moon
XXXX
XXXX
XXXX brightness XXXX
inquiring XXXX water

the past is already past
the future is not yet here
the present never [invites?]
things are constantly changing
with knowing on which they depend

[so many things?]
XXXX created
XXXX
XXXX imaginations

sincerely and wholeheartedly
make inquiries
and also reflect within yourself
inquiring and reflecting
reflecting and inquiring
until the moon [and] XXXX
XXXX possible
for this is the time
when you realise
that all your past
[the aspect in your mind?]

this is the time
when you realise
this is the time
when you realise
this is the time
when you realise
this is the time
when you realise
this is the time
when you realise
this is the time
when you realise
this is the time
when you realise
this is the time
when you realise
this is the time
when you realise
this is the time
when you realise
this is the time
when you realise

Last edited by swift; 02-13-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:38 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Had this on repeat for a while...Underworld please release this!! I never thought UW would recapture their 94-97 heyday...but with the last two RiverRuns, ALAF, You Do Scribble, Parc, Crocodile, and so on, I seriously think they may be hitting another "golden age"...
Old 02-17-2009, 06:34 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman View Post
pretty surprised at the reception of this track. i think i only hate 'trim' more than this.
the drums are just awful. i'd expect this more out of that jon hopkins guy who helped produce those coldplay albums than underworld.

Woo-wee! This is nowhere near "trim" in terms of skipability!
Sure, it's a little rough, and maybe Ms. MacSpeak isn't for everyone, but it seems to be making a good impression on the dirts. It's in the vein of Jumbo and 8 Ball and especially Like a Swimmer for me - just warm and nature-y and mmmm.

p.s. i saw Jon Hopkins open for Coldplay. Glitchtastic! However, i might have been the only one in the arean that was digging it He got a big appluase when his set was over, as everyone else wanted him off the stage.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:18 PM
crazysugarboy
pants

Firstly, thanks go out to TheBang for giving us the download. I adore this track, plain and simple. It is so chilled, and I reckon the soft "live" drums work really well. And Karl's guitar has that Steve Hillage-esque blissed-out quality. Just lovely!
Old 02-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Dunwho
Big Time

Great tune... it has the same progressive bass line idea as Strumpet ...perhaps this is the direction the Lads are going for the new album...it was coming out a little in OWB... who knows!
Old 02-18-2019, 12:28 AM
khouri
khondo dweller

Been listening to the original 'Moon in Water' a lot recently and still curious about the source of some of the lyrics. The opening passage explicitly referencing the moon in the water is easily Googleable ("The Way of Zen" by Alan Watts) but the rest of it, I'm stumped.

EDIT: I looked harder and solved the puzzle.

As noted elsewhere, the first passage in 'Moon In Water' comes from a book called "The Way Of Zen" by Alan Watts (published 1957). The passage is as follows:

The phenomenon moon-in-the-water is likened to human experience. The water is the subject, and the moon the object. When there is no water, there is no moon-in-the-water, and likewise when there is no moon. But when the moon rises the water does not wait to receive its image, and when even the tiniest drop of water is poured out the moon does not wait to cast its reflection. For the moon does not intend to cast its reflection, and the water does not receive its image on purpose. The event is caused as much by the water as by the moon, and as the water manifests the brightness of the moon, the moon manifests the clarity of the water.

The second passage is apparently a poem or other writing by a famous monk called Ryōkan, excerpted in a book called “Zen and Japanese Culture” by D.T. Suzuki (published 1938). I found the full quote on this webpage and it is as follows:

The past is already past,
The future is not yet here,
The present never abides;
Things are constantly changing, with nothing on which to depend;
So many names and words confusingly self-created -- What is the use of wasting your life thus idly all day?
Do no retain your timeworn views, nor pursue your newly-fashioned imaginations;
Sincerely and wholeheartedly make inquiries and also reflect within yourself;
Inquiring and reflecting, reflecting and inquiring, until the moment comes when no further inquiries are possible;
For this is the time when you will realize that all your past has been in the wrong.

Incidentally I think the Barking version might be my favorite song of any artist in this decade. I've been listening to it for almost nine years I guess and I've never got sick of it.

Last edited by khouri; 02-18-2019 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:58 PM
lament
sniffin the wind

I need to come here more often.. I'm always finding new gems, like this original version. Just hearing it for the first time.

I like it better than the Barking version I think. Feels more organic.