View Poll Results: Which do you Prefer?
Cowgirl 33 60.00%
Rez 22 40.00%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2006, 08:12 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Cowgirl...the debate...versus Rez
after the Dubnobass vote, many people disagreed about the merits of Cowgirl and i just wondered had Rez been on the album whether that would have outlasted Cowgirl in a vote...

so seeing as Rez is 'basically' an instrumental of Cowgirl (and similar to some degree)....i just wanted to poll you lot to see which is more popular in a one off battle, personally I prefer Rez to Cowgirl, its more pounding, and the vocals in Cowgirl distract from the instrumetation behind the track, whereas Rez is a full on dancefloor pounder...

anyway...lets see what you lot think...
Old 01-09-2006, 08:17 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Re: Cowgirl...the debate...versus Rez
Rez is on my version of STITI.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:50 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Head-to-head, i think "Cowgirl" is a more pounding, anthemic track. The record version of "Rez", is mostly pretty "mimby-pimby", to quote Rick Smith. I'll grant you that it blisters live, sure. "Cowgirl" on the other hand builds more quickly and contains more elements. The vocoded lyrics carry a lot of menace, which i like, and i'm always floored by the dropped beat just as Karl sings "this electric stream" and the reemergence of pounding bass at "tears in league with wires and energy"
Old 01-09-2006, 09:12 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

I think out of the two, i'll say Rez. To me, the studio verison of Cowgirl is starting to sound a little tiny dated, but still rocks it when dropped in a club. Rez is just an awesome track to get people buzzing.

Like tons of others on this forum, i've seen it done live and to me, its always a higlight of the set.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:22 AM
Mike
born013

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden
Head-to-head, i think "Cowgirl" is a more pounding, anthemic track. The record version of "Rez", is mostly pretty "mimby-pimby", to quote Rick Smith.
Boofty Woofty

I dont like the recorded version of Rez - its a bit too 'la de da' at the beginning and its a bit too long.

But theres no boubt that the live version just rocks!
Old 01-09-2006, 09:57 AM
stimpee
Administrator

I like Rez. the simplicity. memories of watching the video on MTV chillout zone and my mates going "wtf is this?" just lots of circles on a screen... its very flexible which is why its still dropped in clubs today, often as the "accapella" over some chunky beats.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:22 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

Hearing a live version of rez on tv (from 1999 Tilburg gig) was one of those moment that made me go "wft this is the most amazing thing i have ever heard" but the original recorded rez, as some have said already, isn't really my cup of tea and i prefer the original cowgirl over that. Live I just like Rez/Cowgirl mixed up
Old 01-09-2006, 10:32 AM
Leon
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden
"Cowgirl" on the other hand builds more quickly and contains more elements. The vocoded lyrics carry a lot of menace, which i like, and i'm always floored by the dropped beat just as Karl sings "this electric stream" and the reemergence of pounding bass at "tears in league with wires and energy"
That's exactly how I'd put it! Well said.

Off to listen to Cowgirl, which I haven't done in a very long while.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:54 AM
//\/\/
slogging it out

although i think 'cowgirl' is one of the best examples of karl's songwriting; 'rez' does a simple thing brilliantly; then keeps on doing it - i've too many happy memories of it (including 'singing' it after one glastonbury set ) to ever consider it 2nd-best
Old 01-09-2006, 11:04 AM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

For me it has to be Cowgirl, but largely because that is what started all this madness! First UW choon I heard.