Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > craft.

Old 11-23-2005, 08:03 AM
Future Proof
Richard Simmons

Does anyone here use Reaktor 5?
My copy will be arriving today. It was too hard to resist, the sound quality is just incredible, and totally smokes Reason, especially the bass. Only problem is, I don't have a PhD from MIT and there are no tutorial books/DVD's out there and most software manuals are not written all that well.

How badly will I be suffering on the learning curve? And does anyone have a Reaktor 5 file that they could send to me so I can pull it apart and analyze it?
Old 11-23-2005, 08:19 AM
adam
blue

Re: Does anyone here use Reaktor 5?
I *think* professor has it. Well, I'm not sure what version.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:35 AM
Emmet
mouseman

I've always avoided Reaktor....bit to complicated for my ways

The Home of Live Dance Music
Old 11-23-2005, 01:00 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

I use Reaktor 5, but I am probably not usuing it to its full potential, you know?

I haven't tried constructing my own synths yet... but you really don't need to to enjoy the software.

if you're not really familiar with the effects of different oscillators, envelopes, etc (in general) - I'd just recommend selecting a preset on a synth, then using the "randomise" function to see what changes on the panel, and how it changes the overall sound. But don't use the 100 value - prolly just like 30 (for the 'randomize' level)
Old 11-23-2005, 03:24 PM
Future Proof
Richard Simmons

I'm completely lost and overwhelmed. I understand osc's and envelopes, but these sequencers are tremendously different than anything I've used before. Not to mention, the register feature isn't quite working so I can't go into the forums and ask questions.

If anyone is exceptionally familiar with any of the sequencers I'd really appreciate an explanation. Although, my intention is to eventually do all of my sequencing in Cubase and export supplemental tracks from Reason if I find something I like in there.

Edit: I've got a P4 3.4 ghz 800fsb HT computer with 1 gig of RAM... can I run Cubase, Reason via rewire and the Reaktor VST's without having load issues? I'd try it right now but I still haven't done my homework in Cubase yet, so I don't think I'd be able to really tell...

Last edited by Future Proof; 11-23-2005 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:58 AM
stimpee
Administrator

yeh prof is using it for sure. gave me a demo of some work in progress and it sounds like he's getting the hang of it. come to IRC @ #rtsr and he'll be around at some point.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:53 AM
Professor
this is bat country

Send a message via AIM to Professor
yup, i use reaktor--and no, you will not be able to run it and other plugs at the same time. i am using an ibook g4 with a gigram, and while running Live 5, I can only use one instance of Reaktor as a plug. i don't really use the reaktor sequencers...i basically use it for sound design. i haven't gotten into building my own synths yet...no need just yet. the ones that are provided are pretty deep. you can email me at shane@dirty.org if you have any working questions. truthfully, once i got my crashing issues worked out, it pretty much ran right out of the box.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:33 AM
Future Proof
Richard Simmons

Fortunately, no crashing issues for me. I'm really having a hard time understanding how this is going to be useful to me. It doesn't seem like I can open up more than one ensemble at a time in Cubase, so scratch full sequencing in there unless I choose to export my finished work and layer it all together as wavs. The stand-alone option doesn't seem to have a record feature... so no knob or controller automation. Am I missing something here?

I'll e-mail you later Professor, I think I need to polish up on my knowledge of some other stuff before I'm ready to really dig into this program.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:01 AM
Professor
this is bat country

Send a message via AIM to Professor
gotcha. my philosophy on this program is only for sound design. It's forcing me to concentrate on one sound at a time--a good thing for me...but not necessarily what everyone would want. Using live gives me alot of freedom, because i just record whatever I'm working on at a tempo and key....i sequence it all later. so far. i've only had the program for a couple of weeks. there is a record function in the standalone mode. i haven't figured it out yet, but there is a "player" and a "recorder"....

and i really don't use it's sequencers...i do all that in live.

good luck. i hope you can find use for it. i love it.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:10 AM
adam
blue

My local retailer usually has some bix Boxing Day sales on software...I'm thinking I'll pick up Absynth 3 if it's a decent discount.

I thought I had broken this habit, and then I got my new synth, and now I'm a drooling gear head again.