Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Maethodik
river

A doubt..
I was listening to new Underworld song on my ipod.
Diamond Jigsaw, Always Loved A Film, Between Starsa, Strumpet...
These are nice tracks, but i don't feel the same intimist sound of past years.
Is this the new direction?
Song like Juanita, Luetin, Air Towel ecc ecc are only for the past?
Old 08-12-2009, 04:39 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Re: A doubt..
For one, you're comparing songs that were fully formed and released on albums vs. songs that are in progress and being tested live. Not sure what you meant to say when you typed 'intimist', i assume intimate, but that really doesn't describe any of the songs you then listed as examples of what you liked. Strumpet, Between Stars and Diamond Jigsaw definitely have a similar, synth-heavy/song-based feel that neither Juanita nor Air Towel have, but there's no telling if those will appear on the next album or not. Musicians, and artists in general, need to evolve in order to continue to enjoy creating their art. If Underworld move on from a style you like, be happy they've given you joy in the past and be happy for them finding new ways to satisfy their desire to create.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:01 PM
SappysCurry
can you feel this bass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub View Post
For one, you're comparing songs that were fully formed and released on albums vs. songs that are in progress and being tested live. Not sure what you meant to say when you typed 'intimist', i assume intimate, but that really doesn't describe any of the songs you then listed as examples of what you liked. Strumpet, Between Stars and Diamond Jigsaw definitely have a similar, synth-heavy/song-based feel that neither Juanita nor Air Towel have, but there's no telling if those will appear on the next album or not. Musicians, and artists in general, need to evolve in order to continue to enjoy creating their art. If Underworld move on from a style you like, be happy they've given you joy in the past and be happy for them finding new ways to satisfy their desire to create.
Well said.

Though I think I understand what he's saying. Juanita and Air Towel have a vibe to them that the other tracks don't have or better yet, is different than the vibe that the new, albeit unfinished tracks have. There are definite phases to Underworld's output over the years and while they are all different in terms of evolution, because that's really what it is...evolution, I can point out the inherent traits in every one of them that makes them all unmistakably Underworld tracks. 8 Ball is as much an Underworld track as ALAF is as much as Cowgirl is...if that makes sense?
Old 08-12-2009, 05:03 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Think of it this way. Do you do the same things you did 15 years ago?
Old 08-12-2009, 05:07 PM
chems1919
mouseman

Personally, I love everything UW is releasing/experimenting with. One of the things that makes UW so brilliant to me is that they're B-Sides and their unreleased material is just as incredible, if not better than their official releases. Hearing tracks like Strumpet, Always Loved a Film, Between Stars and Telematic Peal (don't forget this gem) makes me appreciate this band. I just hope a riverrun release appears soon so I can play these in a high-quality form in the car.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:17 PM
the mongoose
talks to God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub View Post
Think of it this way. Do you do the same things you did 15 years ago?
Hell yeah!
Old 08-12-2009, 07:17 PM
nosajmunson
All day zombie cafe...

I like all of the newer songs, but I agree they do have a different vibe compared to older "classics". But the same can be said from album to album. Cowgirl to Pearls Girl, Juanita to King of Snake, Winjer to MoMove, Luetin to Boy, Boy, Boy. They are constantly changing and expanding while still staying true to a core style. (Beautiful Burnout & Push Upstairs to me have the exact same overcast dark feeling to them & I love that)

As artists in this day and age, that is incredible. The work they conitue to put out, in what ever format, is still really, really good.
Not many artist can say that after almost 20 (as Underworld Mk II) years.

These newer songs do remind me of well, late 80's synth pop.
Telematic Peal (orignal broadcast version) is brilliant.
Always loved a Film V4? is great, but I admit I like the "Maggie is a girl & I'm a big sister" version from the Lemonworld brodcast so much more.
Strumpet is fantastic, release it and don't change a thing.
Between Stars is good, but it doesn't feel finished.
Diamond Jigsaw is the only one I am not crazy about.
It just doesn't feel right. I know it is still W.I.P. so it may form up more.
Seeing it live, I did like Karl whaling away on the guitar in unison with the keyboard part. It sounded rough and raw. That was nice, very un-Underworld like. Only thing that even comes close to that heavy (for Underworld) guitar is Peggy Sussed, sort of.

I say keep doing what feels good to them. And let's face it, the majority of what feels good to them sounds great to us.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:53 PM
qirex
mouseman

I don't think there ever was a change in direction. There has always been just one direction. Underworld is one of the very rare occurrences in music where I feel the music is constantly evolving and the audience as well right with the band. My favorite Underworld release is Oblivion with Bells and I've been listening to them since Trainspotting. I feel like they can do no wrong and one of the main reasons is that they absolutely love what they're doing, and it shows. I can't think of a single artist who shows more love and puts more effort into their craft. They're constantly creating and interacting. It's truly remarkable the connection they have with their fans (via uwlive.com/broadcasts/audio/video/facebook/twitter).
Old 08-12-2009, 08:10 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

I wish they would use more percussian, or a least percussian sounding sounds things or something.

And not just a f-ing* cowbell, ANYBODY can play a f-ing* cowbell.

* Imagine Eddie Murphy type f-ing type shit. He practically got PAID for using it.

I don't really remember what song it was, and the thread is too long and I've read too many time, but the newest song played around BB, Karl's singing is great. Kinda sexy, but not like that, but girlfriends of mine have said that it is. My god, I can't ANYTHING about another man without the world thinking I want to do him. This sucks.(not like that)

Last edited by jOHN rODRIGUEZ; 08-12-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:48 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Look, I really like Juanita, Cowgirl, et al. But I really dig this new direction. I always thought that early Underworld (dubno era) was trying to reconsile their old New Wave sound with the burgeoning electronic movement. I always loved songs like Dark and Long which seemed rooted in New Wave but were very electronic. Cut to now, they seem to be going down the same road, with songs like Parc, Crocodile, Silver Boots, Between Stars, Strumpet, and so on. I love 'em all - I have the Japenese release with "Parc" on it and it's one of my all time favorite UW tunes, just brilliant. I also thought You Do Scribble was one of their finest. Plus the ambient stuff they've done lately is just transcendant - the entire Big Sister release, To Heal, and Moon in Water are all top of the line. As much as I liked AHDO it seemed for a while like a stylistic dead end and I'm glad they stepped in the right direction. I am a fanatic of a lot of groups but UW stands out because I really think they have the chance for something great here. So I guess I'm on the other side.