Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 05:19 PM
cacophony
disquietude

Re: Fonestrap
aac is compressed, so you've already got less data than the original file. if you then convert to mp3 you lose a little bit more of the information. it's basically cascading lossy compression. the ideal situation is to do as described above, where you leave the compressed file unaltered and just essentially pass through to a different file extension.

of course not everyone is going to be able to figure the process out so just keep in mind that the cascading is worse if you compress twice with the same algorithm, and is more likely to be audible. if you absolutely must convert, choose a different algorithm to try to hide as much of the audible loss as possible.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:21 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

AAC and MP3 are both lossy compressed formats.

1. lossy source -> lossy format = quality loss (ex. AAC -> MP3, 128 Kbps MP3 -> 192 Kbps MP3)
2. lossy source -> lossless format = same quality, huge file size increase (ex. MP3 -> FLAC)
3. lossless source -> lossy format = quality loss, huge file size decrease (ex. CD-DA -> MP3)
4. lossless source -> lossless format = same quality, up to 50% smaller or larger file (ex. WAV -> FLAC, FLAC -> AIFF)
Old 10-24-2007, 07:31 PM
industri_studios
mouseman

I know that stuff, Bang - I was curious where the concern was in your original message - and cacophony hit that nail on the head. Thanks guys...
Old 10-24-2007, 09:09 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by industri_studios
I know that stuff, Bang - I was curious where the concern was in your original message - and cacophony hit that nail on the head. Thanks guys...
I guess I'm confused then. If you knew everything from my last post, then the concern about a lossy re-encode in my original message would seem self-evident, would it not?
Old 10-25-2007, 05:36 AM
industri_studios
mouseman

I think you misunderstood my question (giving me the overview answer).

I was asking about one particular format and was curious what the transition was for that format to MP3... cacophony answered that.

No worries.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:55 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
I made a CD comp of all the Phonestraps to date, and just used some crappy mp3 maker shareware to convert the mov to wav. Nice to hear these all back to back and sense the differences.

Phonestrap6 vs Autotrader is really my favorite thus far, with that slinky bassline and mechanical beat. Sounds like something from the AHDO era. And unlike the more chilled out new abum, it bangs!
Old 10-25-2007, 02:47 PM
0to9
river

i;ve been trying to do the same with all of the phonestrap audio but can't seem to figure out how to convert them to wav .can you let me know step by step how to convert them ..when you have the time thanks..0to9..................................