Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 12-05-2005, 05:59 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Re: Electronic vs Rock music (live)
I find that live electronic gigs are much better, the people generally have a good dance around and everyone talks to each other. At some "rock" gigs i've been to, the people have been very aggresive towards each other, even if you just knock in them accidently!

I prefer live electronic stuff becuase all of the samples etc are all pre-programmed, so the perfomer can totally mix it up and fuck around with the song structure to keep the audience guessing. I.e. Underworld, The Chemical Brothers. Four Tet was ace when i saw him, he just ripped his own stuff apart!

With a lot of indie/stuff, theres no room for improvising and seeing a band more then say 3/4 times can start to get boring. Though i agree with some abbleton live performances can be shit, i'm sure Aphex Twin just pressed play [but the stuff was still incredible!]
Old 12-05-2005, 08:01 AM
Leon
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty0900
I prefer live electronic stuff becuase all of the samples etc are all pre-programmed, so the perfomer can totally mix it up and fuck around with the song structure to keep the audience guessing. I.e. Underworld, The Chemical Brothers. Four Tet was ace when i saw him, he just ripped his own stuff apart!
You are right about electronic bands having the oppertunity to fuck around with pre-programmed sample, but how many electronic bands actually do that? I saw Chemical Brothers once and I've heard some recordings and the songs are quite similar if not exactly the same as the studio versions! It was a great show nontheless, but still.

It's really cool you mention Four Tet is ace, because I really really love "Unspoken", it's one of my favoute tunes ever. Whenever he's in Holland, I'll go and see him.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:48 PM
undarrenworld
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy
And no I don;t want to sing "We become one".
We Come One

That kick ass mate
Old 12-08-2005, 01:43 PM
absolute zero
river

How about the karaoke-ish electronic acts? I think it depends on the artists' music and how into it the crowd is. I'd consider underworld or depeche mode kind of electronic shows right, both put out amaaaazing sets, but then again their fans are insanely devoted. (btw I'm seeing DM again tonight, they put on a great show last night, my voice is 90% gone)

Last edited by absolute zero; 12-08-2005 at 01:45 PM. Reason: na
Old 12-08-2005, 11:17 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

I'd say - normally, I'd rather see an electronic band over a rock band

as there just seems to be a higher likelihood of a communal vibe, and it's really rare that you encounter what are the stereotypical rock-crowds here in DC... you just stand in one place chainsmoking... and give glares at the people who - gasp - might actually be enjoying themselves!

and I find the rock bands who do nothing but stand still during the whole gig (only moving to grab another beer) just as obnoxious, if not moreso, than the electronic bands / performers who don't move away from their laptops

I also think it's much much harder for a rock band to really grab an audience than it is for an electronic act - basically going back to that whole communal aspect...

like... I don't really know how this is relevant overall - but anyways, it's a good story. So, I saw Moby on both his Area1 & Area2 Tours, during these tours he had a rather large band, yet still had a nice electronic feel with a loose-ness that you can get from a larger band with percussionists, et al (much improving their respective albums... seriously) -> then I saw him here in DC for the Hotel Tour, which not only was a low-key tour, it also had a stripped down, more 'rocky' band eirgo, all the songs were definitely more rock-vibed.

Well - in Area1, it was easy to get close to the stage, and there was a real sense of 'connectiveness' with him on stage (he'd even stop and chat with us) but at this Hotel Tour show, you couldn't move whatsoever. The only time I was able to move at all was... well a bit of a preface. This guy was (obviously) trying to impress his girl, and her friends - so he pushed forward knocking people over, to get them up front. All of the girls were obnoxiously overdressed (high heels and sequins). Then Moby starts playing "Natural Blues" at which, all the girls start getting excited - like "oh this is my favorite song" and start singing along.... until they realize that Moby's playing a very very very different version.... reeaaaalllly slow

-> meaning - they can't sing along to it... get pissy looks on their face, and start to aimlessly wander back a bit - allowing me + my friends to get closer to the stage

...and none of that would happen at an electronic show
Old 12-09-2005, 11:55 PM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

I tend to agree with electronic over rock gigs for the overall live experience, having seen very many of both over the years. Maybe it is because, in general, for dance acts, people are there to party (and very often aren't even bothered whether they can even see the stage or not as long as the sound and the vibe is good), whereas for rock acts they are more likely to be there to listen/watch.

Sure, you can get a good vibe from a rock gig but as Dirty 0900 pointed out, you often get quite a bad vibe in the crowd too -there doesn't seem to be any solidarity or cohesion among the audience, just "I'm here to watch the band, stay out of my face and don't spill my beer."

Last year I took a friend to the last Orbital gig in London. She had never been to an electronic gig/rave before and she was absolutely astounded by the warmth and respect shown by the audience to each other, which she had never experienced at any other gig she had been to.

I dunno the extent to which this is caused by the fact that the drug of choice for electronic/dance crowds tends to be eccies, though.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:56 AM
GoatSucker
GoatSuckerLive.com

Saw LCD SoundSystem this week (3rd time I've seen them), and they never fail to impress. They're definitely a hybrid of the two - the band are incredible to watch, especially the drummer - but everyone has a good dance as well. During tracks like Tribulations and Yeah!, the whole crowd were going wild.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:40 AM
purlieu
enofa

I've only really been to a couple of 'dance' gigs (Orbital and Kid606), most of the electronic gigs I've been to have been... well, I was going to say quieter affairs, but maybe just less hectic. When I saw Four Tet the crowd didn't move that much, and to be frank, I thought his set was appalling (drum and synth loop, then he just messes with delay so it speeds up and slows down and presses a couple of buttons that make squawking noises. For over an hour. Really fucking awful), whilst most 'rock' gigs (again, I've only really been to one 'rock' gig, most stuff I've seen has been indie/whatever you want to call it) have been more lively and I've got into it more.
Folk gigs are the best. Everything's so much more intimate.

Anyway, I've given up on going to big gigs unless it's someone I REALLY, REALLY want to see. Smaller, local gigs are far more enjoyable.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:59 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBurnout
I dunno the extent to which this is caused by the fact that the drug of choice for electronic/dance crowds tends to be eccies, though.
Yeah, I love eccies.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:39 AM
monkeyboy
punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBurnout
just "I'm here to watch the band, stay out of my face and don't spill my beer."
If this is the case you must have been going to some pussy-band.
The last two rock gigs I have been too (Bloodhound Gang and Bloc Party) everyone was going fucking nuts and beer was flying everywhere.