Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:19 PM
iamneorev
pants

Re: 2017 THREAD Orbital are back! Whatever happens will happen again!
ORBITAL 30 REMIXED COMING IN 2019, NEW ALBUM IN 2020

Fact Magazine shared a video of Paul Hartnoll showing off his studio and live rig and there is some interesting information if you pay attention to the whiteboard on the wall. I took some screenshots for your viewing pleasure.

Remixer list:

It reads...

ORBITAL 30 REMIXED

UTAH SAINTS
BICEP
APHEX TWIN
CHEMICAL BROTHERS
UNDERWORLD
LEFTFIELD
PRODIGY
DAVID HOLMES
VINCE CLARKE

Now only Bicep has a check mark by his name, so possibly he is the only one who agreed at the moment or he is the only one who handed in his remix. I guess we shall find out in 2019.

Orbital studio/live rig video:

Orbital mentioned wanting their peers to remix classic tracks as well as re-recording tracks to be closer to their current live incarnations for Orbital 30...

“It’s our 30th anniversary next year, and there’s nothing concrete yet, but we would like to do an ‘Orbital 30’ album — and we essentially want to get a lot of our peers to do remixes of our classic tracks, and we want to record our tracks how we play them live now, because they’re very different from when we first recorded them because the way we improvise live sort of rearranges the structure of the song,” Hartnoll says. “When we play ‘Halcyon’ live, we don’t even realize how different it is from when we first recorded it, almost like it went through a game of Chinese whispers."

“Next year, 2019, will be more of a celebration for us,” Hartnoll adds, “and for 2020, my vision is that we will have another album out.”

Source:
http://www.sfweekly.com/music/orbita...lLk8jfqgD2JzRE

Tracks Orbital are re-recording:

Last edited by iamneorev; 12-03-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:53 PM
iamneorev
pants

Wow! What a show! Just got back. Orbital played 2 hours! The sound was great, really loud and lots of bass. The crowd was going insane and the Hartnoll brothers looked really into it and jammed a little bit when things were really going off. After Doctor? they asked if we wanted one more. Lush came on and they did an awesome jam out at the end. The whole place was wild and cheering at all the big moments. Paul got on the mic at the end and was like "Bloody hell! We really gotta come back here again. Who knew Brooklyn is this crazy?"

Intro w/ Professor Brian Cox
Monsters Exist
There Will Come a Time (We All Die Remix)
Impact
P.H.U.K.
Wonky
Tiny Foldable Cities
Satan
Hoo Hoo Ha Ha
Halcyon + On + On
Vision OnE
Belfast
Chime
Where Is It Going?
The End Is Nigh
Doctor?
Lush

I recorded some clips and took a few pics. Will post later, too tired after that. So happy I got to see them. If you have not seen them live, definitely go do it. They are powerful live.

Last edited by iamneorev; 12-04-2018 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:58 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
All good news! That's quite a wish list for remixers. Hope it all comes together. Plus a new LP without a 5+ year wait!

Edited to add: seeing Utah Saints on that list made me wonder whatever happened to them? I kind of enjoyed the sample craziness of their "Two" album. I guess they remixed "Something good" a few years ago, but really lost track of em.

Last edited by holden; 12-05-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:25 AM
iamneorev
pants

Live At Eventim Hammersmith Apollo 15.12.18
Orbital will be recording their show this weekend and releasing it on CD/digital with poster...

Preorder:
https://www.musicglue.com/orbitalliv...Lr3YSOMHdnlKM4
Old 12-14-2018, 06:55 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

I've probably mentioned it in this thread but those two live recordings they put out this year were absolutely ace. Love the idea of doing updated studio versions - the likes of Jean-Michel Jarre and Kraftwerk have done it, so why not Orbital?
Old 12-14-2018, 11:46 AM
iamneorev
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j View Post
I've probably mentioned it in this thread but those two live recordings they put out this year were absolutely ace. Love the idea of doing updated studio versions - the likes of Jean-Michel Jarre and Kraftwerk have done it, so why not Orbital?
Yeah, love the two live shows they put out. I can't for the new one. I preordered the WAV for the new show last night. Need the 17th to arrive soon.

I saw them in Brooklyn just the other week and curious if the setlist will be the same. Either way, I'll be happy to have this new setlist, but hope they sprinkle something different at Hammersmith.

According to Paul Hartnoll, they have loads of live recordings from over the years. Someone asked about them relearn a live around in a Q&A and Paul seemed really into the idea. He said he just needed the time and energy to sort through it all and figure out a way to present it/release it. They should create a Bandcamp or something and post them.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:16 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

its kind of hard to navigate their page but if you just want the MP3s you can get them here

https://www.musicglue.com/orbitalliv...ad-mp3-version

setlist appears to be:

Intro
Monsters Exist/There Will Come A Time
Impact
P.H.U.K./Wonky
Tiny Foldable Cities
Satan
Hoo Hoo Ha Ha
Halcyon
Vision On E
Belfast
The End Is Nigh
Doctor ?
Chime
Where Is It Going

seems pretty similar to their 2017 shows, but with new stuff taking the place of "Girl With the Sun in Her Head" and "Forever", which is too bad since those were both highlights of the 2017 sets. its strange that they completely skip over Snivilisation/In Sides/Middle of Nowhere...IMO those are their three best albums!
Old 12-17-2018, 09:58 AM
iamneorev
pants

Monsters Exist #41 on Mixmag's top 50 albums of 2018...

https://mixmag.net/feature/top-album...YcNHSjsbjqBoEE
Old 12-23-2018, 06:41 AM
markreed
mouseman

http://www.thefinalword.co.uk/content/view/1462/

This year was very different from last year : the older songs felt revamped, the visuals and staging was all updated, and it certainly wasn't a rehash of 2017.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:39 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Wish I could have seen them Stateside. But all indications are of a band looking forward, not resting on the past laurels.

Monsters Exist has consistently impressed me. There are several B sides I'd sub into the LP, but as a whole new chunk of songs, it's stronger than Wonky, Blue , and perhaps Altogether (I know, a mixed bag, but some great stuff in it!).