Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > moments.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2010, 03:11 AM
rvr300
river

Re: 2010-10-30 - 4th and B, San Diego
Not sure if the gents of Underworld ever look at this but you guys never cease to impress! Could tell Karl was a bit under the weather and not his normal energetic show but it was still awesome! 3rd show for me to see UW live and I'll be back again. Thanks for the great tunes guys and another great night of tunage!
Old 10-31-2010, 03:18 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Rick and Darren fucking killed it tonight. As mentioned, Nu Train and Rez/Cowgirl were off the hook, and there were lots of other great moments. They made up for Karl being under the weather.

And I met a fellow Hawaii dirt. How crazy is that? Sorry, I forgot your handle already.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:28 AM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

Just got home... 5am. Tired. Worth it. Between Stars was amazing. Did anyone else notice that it was slowed down a bit? The show was epic and it ended on a high note. Although tired, I'm still amped from the show. Good night all... or shall I say Good morning...
Old 10-31-2010, 08:53 AM
lament
sniffin the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingklang View Post
By the way, downtown SD sure is noisy. And I don't think I've heard so many sirens in my life.
lol it's Halloween weekend.

First show for me and it was amazing. My friend (who has seen them several times) commented about Karl's lack of energy - now I know why. Hope he's feeling better.

Who has the setlist?

edit: nm.. saw the front page with the setlist.

Last edited by lament; 10-31-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:04 AM
klingklang
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lament View Post
lol it's Halloween weekend.
Ha! Fair point. That's cool this show was your 1st. Hopefully you can see them again, but it was pretty amazing to see them at that venue ( the only thing that disturbed me about that place was the physical patdown--it seemed a little too personal at one moment).
Old 10-31-2010, 11:05 AM
sockman
river

Nu train was amazing, best I've heard live. And Dirtyepic was done so very well. Karl seems to get his second wind about 1/2 way through - and picked up a little. Great show and nice to meet fellow dirts! Thanks all for the killer time. The opening act Black Audio (misspelled I'm sure) killed me a little on the inside...
Old 10-31-2010, 11:52 AM
Chris M
dirtiest sensor ever

can't complain about the 2hr. set, though between the absence of the projections and karl's regular stamina, i found myself feeling a bit misplaced at times. this was a first Underworld gig for several of my mates and i'm not quite sure they got a complete experience.

on a side note, there was an oversight with pacing the photographers on the first 3 songs. we typically get the first 15 minutes or 3 songs (to shoot in the pit) of the set however, we ended up getting the second 15 minutes of the show which landed on Nu-Train, an almost 10 minutes of pitch black with no karl in sight.

good news is, i still manged to pull off a nice sum of photos throughout the whole set. stay tuned for those
Old 10-31-2010, 12:22 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
Rick and Darren fucking killed it tonight.
how can that be? according to long time, hard core fans all they do is press play.

this is sarcasm.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:44 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

I have to say, ALAF sounds far, far better live than on the record. Really, the whole Downpipe/ALAF/Dark Train opening works incredibly well. It might not be improvised but the guys definitely knew what they were doing when the designed the opening sequence to this tour.

As others have said, this version of Dark Train was singularly rocking. Tremendous groove, banging beat. Rez also had an almost Kitten-esque quality that night. And Moaner -- holy shit, it was awesome. A startlingly new intro/segue out of Dirty Epic. This is a song that's rarely remixed on stage so I was really glad to hear this version. Hopefully it'll emerge on a recording so everyone can hear just what a few changes can do to this ancient track.

It was obvious to me that Karl wasn't at the top of his game but I think he adapted his vocals well tot he situation. In some cases, like Cowgirl, he sounded more like the original album version, which is not something you hear live much given the song's evolution over the years. I also didn't miss him dancing around during the more instrumental tracks, it was fun to just dance to Rick & Darren's work to the sights of their silhouettes and not be distracted by Karl's madness. Nothing against Karl's madness, mind, but it was kind of a cool change of scenery.

The setlist was of course as expected, with Dirty Epic being the only deep cut. It was a beautiful version, though, one of the best live performances I've heard. It sounded to me like they've finally begin filter-fiddling around with Scribble, and the Diamond Jigsaw performance was really high energy and groovy. The only thing that really didn't work for me was Bird 1. Just not a good live track, at least not in the middle of the show.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:12 PM
cured
sikk

Had a great time. The bartender wearing the Heineken costume was serving up incredibly loaded drinks. I ended up kissing the toilet back at the hotel but loved every second before that. Now I'm rallying up energy to head over to the Shrine. Pity I didn't get to meet any of you but I did have about 3 different groups of friends there.

Definitely a great night.