I REALLY LIKE THE CONTROVERSIAL SYNTH PLOPS
Old 09-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Strawman
mouseman

Re: Barking: The Reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jose m View Post
the band need to move on.
it may not be in a direction that everyone like's but they will never be the 90's underworld, the version many people still want them to be,again.
they're musicians and have changed their style and out put many times over the years and i'm sure they will do it again.
i'm interested 'cause i like to watch the "journey" they're on and i really enjoy it when they change course either in a commercial way (like this album) or delve deep (like river runs).
maybe for every fan they gain with the new stuff they'll lose one as well but thats the way it is if you don't sit still.

Yes I couldn't agree more.....I'm on this journey with them and as always uw keep changing their style and moving in different directions. Having said all that....

WHERE IS MY BOX SET!!!!?????? HAS ANYONE IN AUSTRALIA GOT IT YET???
Old 09-21-2010, 12:20 AM
Bargo
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
Yes I couldn't agree more.....I'm on this journey with them and as always uw keep changing their style and moving in different directions. Having said all that....

WHERE IS MY BOX SET!!!!?????? HAS ANYONE IN AUSTRALIA GOT IT YET???
I got mine either yesterday or today (Canberra).. yours can't be far off!
Old 09-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Strawman
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargo View Post
I got mine either yesterday or today (Canberra).. yours can't be far off!

OK thanks mate.......EAGERLY AWAITING!!!!................
Old 09-21-2010, 11:26 PM
lament
sniffin the wind

Re: Barking -- Some general thoughts
lol @ the phrase "synth plops".. those plops are very Kraftwerk to me and I like 'em.

so I'm new around here (kinda.. lurked from 2003 on, then my account got deleted in the switch from brown to white, and now here I am again), but been a fan since 1996..

didn't realize there was so much hate for OWB. I much prefer it to AHDO (which was at the bottom of their albums for me only until recently.. started listening again and it's not as bad as I thought it was).

As for Barking.. overall, I love it. It was hard at first to get used to the straightforward pop of ALAF, or the fact that Scribble wasn't quite the 2005 live version I've been used to. But honestly - how can you hear "can you feel it?" and "heaven, heaven" in ALAF and not smile? it's so fucking catchy you just want to smash puppies.

Same with Scribble. The video captures the mood perfectly.. screaming "and it's OK.. you give me everything I need" at the top of your lungs in a fast moving vehicle.

Hamburg Hotel and Grace.. solid.

Between Stars made me think of Limmy doing (similar choruses). I'm guessing it will be a single.

Diamond Jigsaw screams "single" to me - probably the most accessible UW yet. I do like it, but It's so generic tho.

Love Moon in Water.

The only one I can't stand is the vocals in Louisiana.. I'm hoping that warble effect is indeed an effect. I could tolerate the song without that effect. Looking forward to the instrumental version on the box set.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Caprice
pants

This Album Fucking Rocks.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:22 PM
//\/\/
slogging it out

there's just no spark of underworld originality - over-diluted by the collaborators or bereft of spark.

the emperor isn't wearing any clothes.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:44 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

naked as an angel?
Old 09-24-2010, 05:37 PM
revolver9
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by lament View Post
As for Barking.. overall, I love it. It was hard at first to get used to the straightforward pop of ALAF, or the fact that Scribble wasn't quite the 2005 live version I've been used to. But honestly - how can you hear "can you feel it?" and "heaven, heaven" in ALAF and not smile? it's so fucking catchy you just want to smash puppies.

I can't stand the chorus of ALAF. "can you feel it?" and repeating "heaven" killed an otherwise nice house track. It's about the dumbest sounding thing I've heard from them lyric wise. The bridge lyrics are terrible too. But the verses I feel are nice imagery.

But the worst is Diamond Jigsaw. And I'm not even a PVD hater. It's so generic and forgettable. Blah.

Besides that, I think there are some misdirections on Moon in Water. And Hamburg Hotel was really dulled up. Glad for the Essex version.

Love Bird 1, Scribble, Grace, Louisiana.

It's disheartening because I think that without the producers there would have been a better overall sense of satisfaction. I'm not even one asking for another Dubno or STITI but when I listen to OWB I don't imagine the songs any other way, and I don't care to.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:20 AM
psychophysio
Thirsty thirsty....

I find the album a bit "blah" thus far. Nothing really jumps out at me as a favourite song, wheras for me OWB had about 5 songs I really liked on it. I am not a fan of the new Scribble either - it seems a bit weak compared to You Do Scribble.

Barking is slightly growing but not a lot and certainly no immediate "wow" moments like Dirty Epic, Juanita, Moaner, Beautiful Burnout or even A Hundred Days Off