Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 12-16-2019, 03:04 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Re: DRIFT Series 1 - New album, Nov 1, 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
Very crudely and broadly, I think the result of Rick and Karl so explicitly explaining what it is about their work that interests them is the realization that what they like and what we (or at least I) like about Underworld are not really the same thing.

started realizing this around the time of OWB and pretty much confirmed it for myself from then on. it sucked realizing that why I fell in and got so hyped were not for the reasons that rick and karl (mostly rick, eh) are in the game for. my high school brain bought into the idea of dirty, and with emerson's departure and an escalating fuss over perfectionism, polish, and control, subsequent albums seemed... less and less that. it was frustrating, and Barking saw me out of the fanboy zone for good. after the initial annoyance that kindred creative spirits aren't that so much, it's healthier to separate your POV and allow your heroes their own agency as to what their own work means! doesn't mean the processes you went through with it are less valid. if anything now you know it's a more original expression of where you were leaning towards anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
Indeed, the guys seem disdainful and even hostile towards the limitations that IMO have actually resulted in their best work.

interested in hearing more on this. i was not surprised to hear their dim view of the Riverruns, but it caused some indigestion nonetheless, especially as some of us have been saying it was their best work until all of this.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:31 PM
iamneorev
pants

Did some Photoshop work to recreate the boxset cover art digitally... for folks who like that sorta thing. 3000x3000.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover-boxset-cover.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	462  
Old 12-24-2019, 07:39 AM
purlieu
enofa

'Do Breakers Trip'. I don't understand why this was released. I've tried so many times and it still sounds absolutely bloody horrible. Even as someone who likes Hundred Weight Hammer and Ring Road and Molehill and various other un-Underworldy tracks, I can't find any pleasure from this track at all.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:25 PM
iamneorev
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by purlieu View Post
'Do Breakers Trip'. I don't understand why this was released. I've tried so many times and it still sounds absolutely bloody horrible. Even as someone who likes Hundred Weight Hammer and Ring Road and Molehill and various other un-Underworldy tracks, I can't find any pleasure from this track at all.
I actually like "Do Breakers Trip," prefer it over "Hundred Weight Hammer, "Molehill," and a few other Drift songs.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:30 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Yeah, Karl's downtrodden vocal on "Breakers do trip" brings the track down. But as an instrumental, there's a lot going on. I wish I could clock it all, but I find it a bit of a throwback and interesting.
Old 12-24-2019, 03:54 PM
iamneorev
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Yeah, Karl's downtrodden vocal on "Breakers do trip" brings the track down. But as an instrumental, there's a lot going on. I wish I could clock it all, but I find it a bit of a throwback and interesting.
I even have an alternate CD length Drift playlist with Do Breakers Trip
Old 12-24-2019, 08:36 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamneorev View Post
I actually like "Do Breakers Trip," prefer it over "Hundred Weight Hammer, "Molehill," and a few other Drift songs.
yeah, same. it's kind of the best case scenario when it comes to that kind of track they do imo.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:13 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

i like Do Breaker's Trip & Molehill but hate Hundred Weight Hammer
Old 12-26-2019, 03:46 PM
Jamiel
Jamiel

Really enjoying the ‘Drift’ box set, a lot to digest which I suspect will take quite a while.

I have the extra downloads burned to 5 CDs, and have made some artworks and put them on my website in case they are any use.

https://www.jamielochhead.co.uk/uwde1.html

They follow Simon Taylor at Tomato’s designs (fairly) closely. The fonts I used to match are Compacta (with a manual italicisation, forwards and backwards) and the wonderful OCR-B 10 bit. The Compacta seems to be a slightly different version as the bar on the T and similar features is slightly thicker on the album. Not sure if anyone has mentioned the fonts before in the thread.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:44 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Do Breakers Trip sounds a lot like something Karl would've done during that brief solo phase when he was working with Brian Eno. you can practically hear his voice on the track