Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:16 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Orbital's new release Wonky, April Fool's Day, 2012
Anyone heard this yet? Given that the Chems and Underworld both pulled out their best albums in a decade last year I'd expect a rejuvenated Orbital to do the same. I've already heard it's better than everything past Middle of Nowhere.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:29 PM
stimpee
Administrator

Re: Orbital's new release Wonky, April Fool's Day, 2012
No comment on that brash statement except that from the material ive heard it sounds like good stuff from the Orbital camp.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Teaser single is gash so I'm not expecting much.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:23 AM
froopy seal
amazinglytogetherpinniped

Send a message via ICQ to froopy seal
There's a link to a mix with new stuff in this thread:
http://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17701

Maybe a moderator wants to merge both threads?
Old 03-14-2012, 04:41 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

you could. but this thread is to discuss the new album, not a mix they put out
after a bit of hunting, the pieces I've heard of this sound decent. I think it'll probably be something lesser than their classics, but better than anything since MoN - just my prediction
Old 03-16-2012, 03:38 AM
Flywaver
vision

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/stations/6music

Orbital playing at 12pm i believe :-)
Old 03-17-2012, 06:25 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Other than the free cut "Never", I've been trying to not listen too much to the singles and mixes until the new album comes out. For me, Orbital music works best over the course of an album, especially when continuously mixed: Orbital 2 (Brown Album), "Out there Somewhere" and "The Box", stretching over most of "InSides", even the first few cuts off "Middle of Nowhere" - they approach epic quality for me.
When the tracks seem disjointed (eg. Orbital 1, The Altogether), it's harder to for me to get into it.

From the many video diary entries Orbital have made over the course of the production, and including Flood in the studio, "Wonky" seems like it will be a cohesive, deliberate, quality record - something that seemed lacking over the course of the past few releases..."Altogether" was in part "just for laughs" and "Blue Album" was almost an EP, full of retreaded themes, imho.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:47 AM
Jafs
Tells

"Never" is a really good cut. It's been on several play here since it was available. "New France" is okay. Enough to be hoping for a better thing than the Blue Album which is certainly their weakest album.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:13 PM
the mongoose
talks to God

Really liking "Never" and "Straight Sun":

video for Straight Sun

"New France" has a neat video but I'm not too keen on the song itself. Its growing on me though.

Remaining hopeful that this is a return to form....but Middle of Nowhere and everything else after it has been pure shit up until "Never" got my ears going again.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:19 AM
Badger
pants

I've managed to get a promo copy of the album a few weeks ago and I can say it's a great album.
It took a couple of listens all the way through and there were some stand out tracks straight away (Distractions - very In Sides and Where Is It Going? - possibly the best thing they've done in years and I'm even loving the title track "Wonky" with it's battle rap vocals and the Dj Version they've been playing out as well. It works!) but i admit some tracks still took a few listens to really work. This album is a great combination of old Orbital with new Orbital. You will hear familiar echoes of past works (Snivilisation, In Sides, Brown and MON) subtlety layered into a great new sound.

I can't wait to hear the rest of this live. As we speak i'm sitting in an airport lounge in Sydney about to head over for the Orbital UK tour in a couple of weeks and I haven't been this excited about a tour in AGES!

The new album is a little bit of a grower but once it all clicks into place...boy does it click into place!

Straight Sun really sounded great live last week from the BBC6 Maida Vale broadcast (SPOILER ALERT...

...so did Sad But True revamped and in the new live set).