Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:22 PM
cacophony
disquietude

Re: Liars, the lot of them all
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dreamofluv
yikes. you guys are so fucking angry...

i am a huge fan of both underworld and radiohead so don't judge all rh fans based on the majority. granted, i dont fit in with your average radiohead crowd, but i dont think its fair to wish death on a group of people for liking some music.

lighten up.
amen.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:09 AM
crank
I'm a big sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by crank
I'm not sure if this is a confirmation or not, but ateaseweb seems to be making a confirmation of sorts:
http://www.ateaseweb.com/2008/03/15/...for-radiohead/

too bad Radiohead aren't going to be here (ATL) on the second leg...
However, Quite happy to be seeing both (Radiohead and UW) this year!
But wait there's more!
IF you buy now!

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...th-nude-single
Old 03-17-2008, 03:00 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

it's like this...
I enjoy Radiohead, very much - but they absolutely get over-hyped on that "experimental" front. No, "Amnesiac" wasn't experimental... it was a crap cash-in of outtakes of "Kid A" (half of which sounded like the Dark & Long and Pearls Girl b-sides)

and Radiohead fans -overall- are incredibly annoying when you give them UW music (this has happened to me at least six times). Here's two examples

Me: Oh - you like "How to Disappear Completely"? Check out "Skym"
Douche: Nah man, the RH track is so much better and more complex, you know, they added all the reverb AFTER they recorded the track, and played it in reverse...
Me: Yeah, I know... it's not that uncommon, and actually - you just heard it on "Skym" - a track, that I'm pretty sure came out first

situation 2:
Douche: Man, the lyrics to "Everything in its right place" are soooo crazy, like he's talking about oranges and shit... apparently Thom Yorke picked the lyrics out of a hat, after cutting them all up in a pile
Me: Yeah, I know - haven't you heard of William Burroughs? Or hell, even David Bowie did multiple albums' worth of material like that!
Douche: David Bowie? Fuck him, "oh oh ooooh China Girl" (sung in a mocking tone)
Me: First of all - you're an ass... secondly - you have no idea what you're talking about. Haven't you ever heard of Low, Heroes, or Lodger? Bowie & his producer Tony Visconti basically invented new ways of recording music...
Douche: Tony Visconti? never heard of him, Nigel Goodrich is the man!

I could go on... but you get the point.

That being said. I think if UW and Radiohead played live, they would absolutely have to do it together. Like - when NIN and Bowie toured together back in '95. NIN came on stage, played about an hour, then Bowie's band joined for the NIN 'encore' (playing some of each others' songs) then segued straight into Bowie's main set

this could really be good - or really bad... kind of like having french fries with mayo. You have to be juuuuust drunk enough, the mayo has to be just the right temperature, and the fries must be really hot & greasy

(hope you get the metaphor)
Old 03-17-2008, 03:20 PM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

so would underworld be the french fries or the mayo?
Old 03-17-2008, 03:37 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

hmm...

I guess UW would be the Fries - b/c they're almost always great, and come in a nice variety (steak fries, thin, curly, waffle, etc)

whereas Radiohead would be the mayo, b/c I'd say it's only regularly good on a turkey sandwich. Sure, it can be good on a cheese burger - but other than that... it's a bit spotty

Old 03-17-2008, 04:53 PM
crank
I'm a big sister

For my two pence or pennies: I'd die to see them together. BUT I'll just have to "settle" for seeing them apart.

I've never seen Radiohead live so i'm excited, oh wait, I've never seen UW live either. Virgin on both fronts.

Re: Radiohead fans: I've never met an annoying one, however I don't really spend much time around "them" Sounds kind of stereotypical to me!
Old 03-17-2008, 04:57 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethelion
it's like this...

this could really be good - or really bad... kind of like having french fries with mayo. You have to be juuuuust drunk enough, the mayo has to be just the right temperature, and the fries must be really hot & greasy

(hope you get the metaphor)
um... it was brilliant? yes.

most fans that yourte talking about tend to can it if you can school them in three sentences about why they dont know wtf they're talking about.. and most 'serious' fans do the about-about face and cant wait to tell you how much they hate godrich (liiiike meeee!)
Old 03-17-2008, 07:00 PM
cacophony
disquietude

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethelion
No, "Amnesiac" wasn't experimental... it was a crap cash-in of outtakes of "Kid A" (half of which sounded like the Dark & Long and Pearls Girl b-sides)
what?
Old 03-18-2008, 05:58 AM
Rog
the fuckest upest

Hmmmmm.....saw radiohead a couple of years back and lasted 15 minutes. i don't like them much at all - wrist slitting music methinks. If only rh fans get tickets then uw will bomb as the average rh fan just 'won't understand their music'.......
Old 03-18-2008, 06:29 AM
crank
I'm a big sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophony
what?
yeah, i said the same, but figured he was on a tear... i just let him alone.