Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:21 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Re: R.I.P. Stylus.
btw, i hate pitchfork too!

maybe i should do a list of sites i hate.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:22 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Warner
I enjoyed Stylus. I found their reviews a lot more tolerable than Pitchfork's and less self important.

I didn't get the sense that the guy was competing with Pitchfork. I mean, I run Dirtyradio and I'm not doing it to compete with anyone.

The explanation he seemed to give was that he didn't want to do it anymore.
My thoughts exactly.

Friends come & go and still remain relevant.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:29 PM
crank
I'm a big sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Warner
I enjoyed Stylus. I found their reviews a lot more tolerable than Pitchfork's and less self important.

I didn't get the sense that the guy was competing with Pitchfork. I mean, I run Dirtyradio and I'm not doing it to compete with anyone.

The explanation he seemed to give was that he didn't want to do it anymore.
exactly.
Pitchfork is like being in the record store with those dudes behind the counter...

Stylus is like sitting around talking and not feeling like if you didn't own, as LCD Sounsystem put it, every Seminal Detroit album from 85, 86, 87... that your thoughts didn't count..

crAnk.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:33 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crank

Stylus is like sitting around talking and not feeling like if you didn't own, as LCD Sounsystem put it, every Seminal Detroit album from 85, 86, 87... that your thoughts didn't count..

crAnk.

hey, which Seminal Detroit record are you missing? i think i have them all
Old 10-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid cue
do you think hot dogs are trying to play catch-up to Italian sausages, but fail miserably and should die?
Favorite thing I've ever seen you write....
Old 10-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Stephen
Hi! I'm Barry Scott!

Quote:
do you think hot dogs are trying to play catch-up to Italian sausages, but fail miserably and should die?
That's brilliant. As a similar analogy I sometimes use 'I suppose you think your fridge is rubbish because it's not as cold as your freezer'. Wanna do a swap/trade?

Anyway, I think hot dogs are better than Italian sausages.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Stephen
Hi! I'm Barry Scott!

LOL, I didn't even see Sean's post. RIGHT ON BROTHER.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:25 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Quote:
that above statement makes no logical sense. do things only exist because they are competing with each other? do you think of everything in your life in terms of a top 10 list? do you think hot dogs are trying to play catch-up to Italian sausages, but fail miserably and should die?

do you honestly believe Sylus wasn't trying to compete with Pitchfork? they're almost identical and covered almost the exact same shit.

your analogy is bogus. a more suitable analogy would be:

Oscar Meyer has the hot dog biz on lock-down. Oscer Moyer enters the game also trying to sell hot dogs. Same basic meat, slightly diff. packaging and their ads were less in your face. Oscer Moyer fails to gain traction and is generally ignored until one sad day the owner decides he has better things to do. Of course his decision has nothing to do with the fact that his direct competition was outselling him.

you're comparing hot dogs to sausages!
Old 10-29-2007, 04:22 PM
kid cue
ryooong

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub
do you honestly believe Sylus wasn't trying to compete with Pitchfork? they're almost identical and covered almost the exact same shit.
and? what music website formed around the same time by a similar demographic would NOT be covering "almsot the exact same shit" (even though, if you actually read the site, Stylus clearly had much more interesting and varied content)? what creative things have ever existed totally in a vacuum, without drawing from others? do you really see nothing but a 1:1 correlation here? is whatever is perceived as #1 the only thing that registers to you personally?

if Stylus were ever competing with Pitchfork, it was for the barest necessities--writers, ad revenue, promos, whatever. to anyone who has ever communicated with Todd Burns, it's completely apparent that guy started the site as a music dork who thought it would be an interesting way to wile away the time. that people would one day be dissing Stylus as a second-rate Pitchfork is something i seriously doubt ever occurred to him when he started that site. the nice thing about Stylus is that it's been such a rich forum for music lovers to think out loud, which has nothing in common with how Pitchfork attempts, and has always attempted, to give the final word on everything.

Last edited by kid cue; 10-29-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Scott Warner
delicious candy taster

Send a message via AIM to Scott Warner
Quote:
they're almost identical and covered almost the exact same shit.
I disagree. I'm not grounding this in any real study of the two but from my ancedotal view of the two, Pitchfork was obiviously birthed by Indie kids and Stylus had a better ear for dance music. Let's not forget that late 90's Pitchfork mostly treated dance music like it was repugnant fart.

Personally I don't read reviews much anyways - I just look for new music lists and download them.