Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Rog
the fuckest upest

OWB....best yet?
i am loving this album sooooooo much and ther are tracks that can bring tears to my eyes..... i am thinking that this could be their best album evr.....am i wrong or just blissed out? or just bolloxed
Old 10-20-2007, 05:15 PM
cacophony
disquietude

Re: OWB....best yet?
i don't know that i think it's their best yet, but it'd rank it already as one of my faves. it's really the (disappointing) second half of the album that's keeping me from regarding it as the best. if i'm just looking at the first half up through glam bucket i'd say it was the best. definitely a hundred times better than a hundred days off.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:23 PM
Jan
vision

A Hundred Days Off is ace. Why do people say shit about AHDO all the time?

Second half of OWB is best. Faxed Invitation owns.
But Pizza for Eggs owns OWB. Vanilla Monkey is the better Ring Road.

I don't know why people don't see the RiverRuns as proper albums... For me they are! Okay, maybe EPs.
uw#0523
Old 10-20-2007, 05:57 PM
Jan
vision

Didn't they say that they see OWB as part of the Riverrun, but have put it out it as a 'physical' release, because their download only EPs haven't got that same attention?
I'm sure nobody would make a thread: "Pizza for Eggs - best yet?"
uw#0523
Old 10-20-2007, 06:02 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
My opinion:

Beaucoup>Dubno>OWB=STITI>AHDO.

But then, i go through moods with how i feel about albums. They each encapsulate certain periods of my life, which brings a certain fondness beyond just the music. And i still discover new bits in each. All i know is, i can always enjoy hearing Beaucoup Fish. OWB is very strong, but perhaps not the best yet. It doesn't grab as strong as the earlier LPs.
Also, by placing AHDO last by no means suggests i think it is a crap LP. It was certainly in heavy rotation for a while in 2002-03. It just doesn't hold up as well for me as the others.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:43 PM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

nah... although it might rise higher in my rankings, i think dubno will always take the cake.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:29 PM
Future Proof
Richard Simmons

It's a very strong release but STITI will always be tops.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:00 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

not on the same block, neighborhood, district, country, planet, or galaxy as their best album, personally. it's like a great placeholder in the distance between AHDO and their other albums. it great, but not beaucoup fish great, and not even approaching dubnobass and STITI, but it's clearly better than that shell-shocked AHDO.
while their position is much more sure than it was with their last album, and their sound is a pretty big step in a different direction, it still sounds like a band trying to shake off the possibility of attrition rather than having a completely sure hand at what they're doing. even the tune 'beautiful burnout', a well written track that justifiably gets chills going, is still reaching back about ten years into what makes a dance tune, and it's supposed to be the penultimate highlight of the album. underworld's excursions and internet distractions seem to be more rewarding than when they get serious and start making "album" songs. i always keep thinking that this album is much better than i'm giving it credit for until i remember that yes, if 'vanilla monkey' had replaced ring road or JAL to Tokyo would have bumped off boy boy boy this album would be so much better and more interesting.
i still love it to peices and feel that most of my excitement for it was well justified, because i still think it's a great album, but time enough with it has made it clear that there's still problems that inevitably come with an aging band that i hope they can defy the rule of thumb of and confront to really throw us on our ass again.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Cadevil
exilio

Hmm...

After multiple, multiple, multiple listenings this week I think I rank them this way...

STITI>dubno>OwB=BF>or=AHDO

OwB is a great album. What makes BF so strong are the singles. They are quite strong...and AHDO has some very strong moments that weren't exploited at all (no Luetin single?)

Every listen of OwB gets better for me...and I don't feel that the second half is weak in the slightest. The last three tracks are a perfect epic ending.

IMO

Last edited by Cadevil; 10-20-2007 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:13 AM
matt
old man einstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog
am i wrong or just blissed out? or just bolloxed
i'm guessing bolloxed

it's nowhere near their best but it is a return to some sort of form

for what it's worth, imo:

dubno > STITI > (small gap) > BF > (big gap) > OWB > (absolutely huge fucking chasm of galactic proportions) > AHDO