Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:33 AM
Druty
river

Dirty Radio playing an Underworld live set right now - what is it?
On the off-chance anyone sees this in the next few mins...

Dirty Radio is playing out an amazing live Underworld set right now.

(11:30am 19/6/18)

It's probably the most creative of any performance of theirs I have heard. Sounds like loads of jamming with vocoder & guitar & a flow of experimentation that I am missing in their SSL set-up.

It sounds like it might be Japan, but not sure when/where and would love to know if this recording is available somewhere.

The mash-ups of tracks & vamping just sound like the band at their most free & I'd love to know more about the set up at this time.

Cheers!
Old 06-19-2018, 12:25 PM
Mike
born013

Re: Dirty Radio playing an Underworld live set right now - what is it?
It is either from a compilation of shows from the OWB tour (2007/2008), or Alexandra Palace (1999) - both of which were played out today
Old 06-19-2018, 01:08 PM
Druty
river

Thank you kindly! I think it's the former (run-time of 2:45:00ish)

The Now Playing hasn't been working today.. nothing coming through on the SHOUTcast Stream History, incidentally.

The Ally Pally one is great too, but I think this 2007/8 sound is just about the pinnacle in terms of putting a new spin on tracks and seemingly jamming in a way they don't do now.

I may be alone in this, but it feels like the SSL-based setup now means we pretty much know where everything is going to be and it's really just about mutes & limited level control rather than all the playful vibes of this live recording. It actually feels like Rick had more control.

Any info on what gear they used to achieve that would be very welcome.

Thanks for the info - and for playing it!
Old 06-23-2018, 07:52 PM
Badger
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
It is either from a compilation of shows from the OWB tour (2007/2008), or Alexandra Palace (1999) - both of which were played out today
You mean the NYE 1998 Ally Pally show? If so what tracks were played from that show?
Old 06-25-2018, 11:37 AM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druty View Post
Thank you kindly! I think it's the former (run-time of 2:45:00ish)

The Now Playing hasn't been working today.. nothing coming through on the SHOUTcast Stream History, incidentally.

The Ally Pally one is great too, but I think this 2007/8 sound is just about the pinnacle in terms of putting a new spin on tracks and seemingly jamming in a way they don't do now.

I may be alone in this, but it feels like the SSL-based setup now means we pretty much know where everything is going to be and it's really just about mutes & limited level control rather than all the playful vibes of this live recording. It actually feels like Rick had more control.

Any info on what gear they used to achieve that would be very welcome.

Thanks for the info - and for playing it!

The heart of the OG setup was a pair of Midas mixing consoles, a 48 channel and a 36 channel.

I would be VERY VERY surprised if the SSL was incapable of doing the same things and much more than the old Midas consoles. Its more likely that the current style is a choice rather than a gear restriction.

For that matter the old style was also just mutes and defeats, but just executed in a more loose style. It's also my understanding that rick used to keep a lot more pieces available to himself on stage than he does now, allowing more variety between shows, but I'm sure requiring more homework and prep to make sure the pieces fit.

Last edited by jetpig; 06-25-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:43 PM
skyscraper101
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpig View Post
The heart of the OG setup was a pair of Midas mixing consoles, a 48 channel and a 36 channel.

I would be VERY VERY surprised if the SSL was incapable of doing the same things and much more than the old Midas consoles. Its more likely that the current style is a choice rather than a gear restriction.

For that matter the old style was also just mutes and defeats, but just executed in a more loose style. It's also my understanding that rick used to keep a lot more pieces available to himself on stage than he does now, allowing more variety between shows, but I'm sure requiring more homework and prep to make sure the pieces fit.

The fact that the live shows are pretty much a mimic of the recorded version of the tracks these days is a real shame. Everything I loved about UW's old shows is gone, the random changes in setlists, the extended/alternate versions of tracks, the muting of channels on the fly, the filtering and general other sonic manipulations of the tracks. All gone.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:56 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper101 View Post
The fact that the live shows are pretty much a mimic of the recorded version of the tracks these days is a real shame. Everything I loved about UW's old shows is gone, the random changes in setlists, the extended/alternate versions of tracks, the muting of channels on the fly, the filtering and general other sonic manipulations of the tracks. All gone.

Are they drastically changing things up every show? No, but they aren't just live recitals either.

Second half of this is rez, and is definitely got extra rick-ishness on it:

And what's that? the vocoder's back for cowgirl?

The upcoming warehouse gig will really confirm this, but I think they're running a cut-down static setlist for the festival sets and then expanding unexpectedly for their own shows (rijksmuseum for example). It's a lot harder to go afield when you've got 7 albums of material to cover in 90 minutes than just 2 or 3.

Sure I'd like to see more mixing between songs, but they aren't just hitting play either.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:54 PM
lloyd
bungalow

One of the reasons I called it 'hit song karaoke shows' (or something along that line) here on the boards years ago and lost interest in most of the new shows was just this. Although the improvs were perhaps 5% of a show, they made it for me. Although it's music out of a box like so many other electronic bands (for me it started with Front242, Nitzer Ebb, Nacht und Nebel etc), one could feel the human touch. I did make music, I know about quantizing in Cubase, how sequenzers work etc. But rick and darren were producing the songs on stage right in front of you. Choose different loops, different moments to merge in another sample while karl free styled over it. The pure genius that they magically made the tracks by tweaking a full size studio on stage. That made it substantial different from other bands for me.
I explained, by a sketch, to an elder co-worker who always called bands like underworld lazy talentless play button pushers, what did happen on stage. His conclusion after he got the grasp of what sampling was and how one can use it: So in fact, with ready made bits of music, they create the songs on the spot, there isn't a tape playing each evening, playing the same thing over and over again? That was underworld to me.

#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }
Old 08-24-2018, 06:00 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd View Post
But rick and darren were producing the songs on stage right in front of you. Choose different loops, different moments to merge in another sample while karl free styled over it. The pure genius that they magically made the tracks by tweaking a full size studio on stage. That made it substantial different from other bands for me.
I explained, by a sketch, to an elder co-worker who always called bands like underworld lazy talentless play button pushers, what did happen on stage. His conclusion after he got the grasp of what sampling was and how one can use it: So in fact, with ready made bits of music, they create the songs on the spot, there isn't a tape playing each evening, playing the same thing over and over again? That was underworld to me.

#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }
You said it, friend! For many years, that's how I explained my obsession with Underworld. "It's never the same set from night to night".

Well, now those days are over, or at least the improvisation is significantly lessened.

I've got dozens of bootlegs to enjoy and a fond memory of a live show in 2007 ( though even then, the improv was on it's way down). We all change. We all reminisce. Bring on new music, UW, and I frankly don't care how you perform it (partially a consequence of living in the US and not getting tour dates).
Old 08-25-2018, 01:25 PM
lloyd
bungalow

Rez/cowgirl of the 1996 Reading Festival bootleg, I think the 2nd UW bootleg I bought at a LP/CD fair here in holland in a backroom of a pub in the tiny village of Neerkant (still organizing I see http://www.oldiesclubneerkant.nl/index.php/en/). That is 17 minutes of pure UW improv bliss to me.