Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:43 AM
crank
I'm a big sister

High Life - Eno/Hyde new NEW record
Via Pitchfork:
http://pitchfork.com/news/55349-bria...ife-share-dbf/

Whoa, that was fast. You know how Brian Eno and Underworld's Karl Hyde released an album called Someday World earlier this month? Yeah, they're putting out another one this summer. It's called High Life, and it's out July 1 via Warp. Below, find a new track called "DBF".
And this isn't some piddling supplemental EP we're talking about. The six-track, 45-minute album is getting released as a full-on double gatefold LP. (The vinyl edition is out August 25.) The artwork up there is by Eno.
The two men shared statements explaining how this new album came to exist so shortly after they finished the other one. Eno wrote:
“When Someday World was finished I felt like we were still on a roll and I wasn't ready to stop working and get into 'promotional mode' for that record. So I suggested we immediately start on another album, a different one, where we extended some of the ideas we'd started, and attempted some of the ideas we hadn't.”
And here's what Hyde wrote:
“I wanted to work with a stripped down set of equipment... For this album I was very keen for Brian to live process my guitar playing so that we would be effecting one another’s performance, bouncing off each other, inspiring new combinations of polyrhythms.”
If you want to feel extra lazy today, keep in mind that in 2014, Eno has also appeared on new records by Damon Albarn and Owen Pallett.
High Life:
01 Return
02 DBF
03 Time to Waste It
04 Lilac
05 Moulded Life
06 Cells & Bells

Already digging this new track more than the other.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:09 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Re: High Life - Eno/Hyde new NEW record
Yeah, they had mentioned working on a new album in a couple interviews, but that was pretty quick.

There are a couple bonus tracks:
"Slow Down, Sit Down and Breathe" is on the digital and vinyl editions only
"On A Grey Day" is vinyl only.

The vinyl won't be out until Aug 25, because of manufacturing lead times. It also has a different running order.

CD Digipack with 16 page booklet
01. Return (09.00)
02. DBF (04.14)
03. Time To Waste It (08.19)
04. Lilac (09.24)
05. Moulded Life (04.55)
06. Cells & Bells (07.41)

Digital editions
01. Return (09.00)
02. DBF (04.14)
03. Time To Waste It (08.19)
04. Lilac (09.24)
05. Moulded Life (04.55)
06. Slow Down, Sit Down and Breathe (03.07)
07. Cells & Bells (07.41)

Vinyl - limited edition with exclusive 12x12 print
A1. Return (09:00)
A2. Slow Down, Sit Down and Breathe (03:07)
B1. Lilac (09:24)
B2. Moulded Life (04:55)
C1. DBF (04:14)
C2. Time To Waste It (08:19)
D1. On A Grey Day (05:43)
D2. Cells & Bells (07:41)

Within weeks of the release of their acclaimed debut album, television performances and augmented reality iOS app, we can reveal that the collaboration between Brian Eno and Karl Hyde continues with a second full-length record HIGH LIFE, to be released 30th June 2014 on Warp Records. The experiment drew inspiration from the repetitive minimalism of composers like Steve Reich and Phillip Glass, and from the polyrhythmic music of Fela Kuti and funk, as well as continuing the work that Eno and Hyde have done separately.

Brian Eno and Karl Hyde talk about HIGH LIFE:

Brian Eno: – “When SOMEDAY WORLD was finished I felt like we were still on a roll and I wasn’t ready to stop working and get into ‘promotional mode’ for that record. So I suggested we immediately start on another album, a different one, where we extended some of the ideas we’d started, and attempted some of the ideas we hadn’t.

There was a pragmatic reason for this as well (there often is): Warp wanted us to do some promotional interviews for SOMEDAY WORLD and I was having difficulty raising the enthusiasm for the idea. So I thought “Why don’t we just carry on working and invite writers to come and watch us at work?”.

This idea took shape in early April 2014. Karl and I spent a week working together to firm up the approach (the piece called RETURN comes from those sessions) and then a week with Leo Abrahams and 20 year old Fred Gibson. Fred had been deeply involved in SOMEDAY WORLD and I asked him to become, for this new album, our electronic percussionist – he’s a multi-instrumentalist but his original instrument is marimba. I’d worked with Leo many times over the last 18 or so years since I spotted him trying out a guitar in a second-hand instrument shop in West London and over that time he’s worked with many people – including Karl, in fact – and become respected as one of the most creative and gifted players in the world. Also in the room was Rick Holland, the poet with whom I’d worked on DRUMS BETWEEN THE BELLS. His job was to interject additional lyric ideas.

So the 5 of us set up in my studio on April 6th, and worked for 5 days. I was using a DJ CD-player as my main instrument. I had prepared a number of CDs to feed a chain of processors through which I could manipulate them as they were playing. I also had the capacity to send any live instruments through my processing chain – an approach I’d developed 40 years ago with Roxy Music and used ever since on most of the records I’ve been involved with. Karl was playing guitar and also had a DJ CD player loaded with rhythms, guitar extracts and spoken words recordings from Kasia Daszykowska (who also appeared on SOMEDAY WORLD) and Tessa Angus who took all the documentary photographs for that and this record.”

Karl Hyde: – “I wanted to work with a stripped down set of equipment, the CDJ player and prepared CDs is a combination I’ve utilised since the early 90′s and once again I decided not to bring any guitars but to use whatever Brain had to hand. For this album I was very keen for Brian to live process my guitar playing so that we would be effecting one another’s performance, bouncing off each other, inspiring new combinations of polyrhythms. I love to play whilst Brian is changing the sound of my guitar, making me play to suit whatever changes he makes and I also took the ‘radical’ decision to put the guitars into standard tuning this time! Leo complimented my very stripped down sound with his guitar-computer setup producing its characteristic sound-worlds, and Fred was there with his evocative percussion and keyboard playing.”

Brian: – “When we started playing we weren’t sure what to expect but things gelled pretty quickly. We had nothing prewritten but we had some starting points in the form of the CDs I was using – material I’d generated in the studio over several years – and almost immediately a music started appearing out of the four of us which wasn’t like anything any of us would have done separately.

The presence of an audience in the form of some journalists could have been disruptive or paralyzing but in fact turned out to be inspiring. The usual problem with group improvising is to try to find a place between dull repetition or out-and-out chaos. It’s easy to find yourself at either end of that spectrum but harder to navigate the tightrope between. Somehow having an audience (albeit very small) made us want to keep things interesting for them – not just for us. It made it easier to dramatically change direction during a piece – none of us wanted to be stuck in a rut unless it was a really deep rut. So we were basically looking for interesting deep ruts.”

Karl: – “During the 90′s I vocally improvised through all live performances, though had taken a much less premeditated direction in recent years. Brian’s invitation to be a part of the Pure Scenius ensemble (Sydney Opera House 2009) re-ignited my enthusiasm for live improvisation, requiring me to go much further, having to create vocal melodies with words to music I had never heard before in front of a packed house. It is a joy for me, therefore, to be a part of this process in the studio as it provides us with the opportunity to return to that fabulous way of working, having to find melodies and words in front of a live audience, only this one was watching us through a magnifying glass.”
Old 05-28-2014, 08:52 PM
hypeless
mouseman

Thanks for the great infodump. DBF gives me high hopes for this record
Old 05-29-2014, 07:50 AM
ThingInABook
vision

if i had read the tracklists before rushing like an idiot into the store, i would have purchased the 12" edition instead :< i got the CD. i loved the DLX CD Someday World and bought High Life CD as a companion for the rack.

I wish both extra tracks were avaliable for purchase.

EDIT: forgot to say that i actually liked and enjoyed DBF!!
Old 05-29-2014, 08:03 AM
hypeless
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThingInABook View Post
if i had read the tracklists before rushing like an idiot into the store, i would have purchased the 12" edition instead :< i got the CD. i loved the DLX CD Someday World and bought High Life CD as a companion for the rack.

I wish both extra tracks were avaliable for purchase.

EDIT: forgot to say that i actually liked and enjoyed DBF!!
Same deal, assumed CD + digital would come with the bonus track. NOPE.

Starting to wish I had a turntable - any recommendations?

I'm hoping the digital track at least can be bought on its own come the release date.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:51 AM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

I recently received a usb-1 turntable that (obviously) has a USB hookup to record to PC. Haven't actually had time to listen to it, though. Reddit.com/r/vinyl will definitely point you in the right direction for one.

DBF is the sort of weirdness I was hoping for from them the first time around.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:16 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
There's not been a lot of talk on this record. Much as I want a new Underworld record, I did like Karl's "Edgeland" and am a fan of certain Eno projects. But "Someday World" was such a dated, half- finished mess, its easy to discount the next new Eno-Hyde collab. But, yeah, the preview track sounds cool and I'd prefer a jam over a cold late 80's production.
High hopes...
Old 06-19-2014, 05:17 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Really? I'm just shaking my head again at this one. When I compare this to something like Dirty Guitar (which was made 20 years ago), this doesn't offer anything new to me. The part from 1:50-2:00 sounds like it could have been a snippet from a live concert as they built into Dirty Guitar. Other than that its just okay. It has a few brief moments that I like but I just don't get it anymore.

After so many years of 'getting it' from this band and a few of their side projects, its strange to admit that I'm losing that tie.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:53 AM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

I think there's a reason that Eno's name is first and I think it's tied in with why we aren't 'getting it' as you put it. Karl's input is noticeable, but it's been an Eno orchestrated thing, most certainly. Hopefully Mr Smith will emerge from his hidey hole soon with some treats.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:29 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

http://pitchfork.com/advance/479-high-life/

listen in advance.