Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:30 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Re: Setlist or No Setlist?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunwho View Post
Im simply shocked that nobody has alluded to the fact that they did not play even one song from OWB in the last two years!?!?!?
Just being pedantic here, but Beautiful Burnout was played semi-regularly on the 2009 tour.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:47 AM
whatmakesustick

I actually preferred some of the OWB stuff live to Barking. I thought Croc worked well towards the beginning of a set and the kick drum on BB sounded sweet (when it eventually did kick in). We also got Boy Boy Boy and Best Mangu along with Glam Bucket (regularly). For me, I think its more to do with the improv though - when the Barking tracks are played they are (almost) exact copies of the album version so you know what's coming next. In fact, I was listening to the show they did with Paul V D last year, when they did try something different with Between Starts towards the end (at the breakdown), I dont think it worked at all. The stuff off OWB is more unpredictable live, and I like that.

For me personally, the tracks I would like to hear off the last couple of albums would be Croc, BB (maybe a little shorter), Downpipe, Strumpet (bird 1 without the synth plops!), YDS/Scribble.

I have a feeling though that Between Stars and Diamond Jigsaw may get played plenty of times as they are easy to get into and will probably work well at the festivals. Who knows though....

I guess they have so much material now - hopefully it will be difficult for us to predict what they will be playing from night to night!
Old 03-11-2011, 03:02 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatmakesustick View Post
I actually preferred some of the OWB stuff live to Barking. I thought Croc worked well towards the beginning of a set and the kick drum on BB sounded sweet (when it eventually did kick in). We also got Boy Boy Boy and Best Mangu along with Glam Bucket (regularly). For me, I think its more to do with the improv though - when the Barking tracks are played they are (almost) exact copies of the album version so you know what's coming next. In fact, I was listening to the show they did with Paul V D last year, when they did try something different with Between Starts towards the end (at the breakdown), I dont think it worked at all. The stuff off OWB is more unpredictable live, and I like that.

For me personally, the tracks I would like to hear off the last couple of albums would be Croc, BB (maybe a little shorter), Downpipe, Strumpet (bird 1 without the synth plops!), YDS/Scribble.

I have a feeling though that Between Stars and Diamond Jigsaw may get played plenty of times as they are easy to get into and will probably work well at the festivals. Who knows though....

I guess they have so much material now - hopefully it will be difficult for us to predict what they will be playing from night to night!
I agree with most of what you say. But I think that we wont get any variation in the set once its decided. The days of improv and variation are over for now. Faxed Invitation sounded great live. Crocodile in August 2005 from Zurich was a brilliant performance. BB goes on way too long in the live show. 10-13minutes. Great tune, but too long. Any show without Scribble will be an improvement.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:38 AM
lowbit
future pundit

Best Mamgu Ever was terrific live, and I've always thought Good Morning Cockerel would make for an ethereal opener. It'd be great to hear a little greater dynamic range in the live shows, and OWB offers some good options in that direction.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:29 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Glam Bucket was fantastic live, but at All Points West, it felt like it was 20 minutes long.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Champiness
Once again the superstar

Wouldn't it be great if somehow, after being played a grand total of once, Mamgu became the live representative of OWB? It was great live and now that they've got Scribble the lyrics don't conflict with YDS.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:31 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Festival shows should be necessarily differentiated from solo shows. I mean, there's a large percentage of the audience at the festival gig that are only ther/only respond to the hit singles. At the solo gigs, it's dirties that want to be surprised. UW must realize this. I was surprised by the lack of variance in the setlist during the 2010 tour, but then, by all accounts, it was blistering! I was lucky enough to se UW in 2007, when the tracks wre quite varied. Excellent, too. But still, some variance is always welcome - even during the "predictable" festival gigs...
Old 03-12-2011, 01:45 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

You know... I did like the "barking" tour
but that setlist was basically just a "Festival Setlist" wasn't it?

I mean - a bunch of songs from the new album, then the "BIG HITS", and there was the possibility that you'd get one rare-ish song

(edit)
having said that - the shows are still MASSIVELY BETTER than say - the Prodigy
who still play setlists that are 70% the same as 10-15 years ago

Last edited by joethelion; 03-12-2011 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:45 AM
negative1

having a fixed setlist :
======================
pros:
------
good for the band (easier to deal with knowing whats coming up) - although glitches still happen
good for the lighting crew
good for audio guys mixing at the board, adjusting levels, etc..

cons:
------------
bad for people that like seeing them multiple times
bad for people that collect/record bootlegs
bad for people that don't like certain songs (and won't get to hear random/older ones)
bad for the sake of improv fans (because they don't really use that any more)

mabye if there was more mixing and random transitions
between the songs.. or even different versions of the
same songs, i would at least prefer that..

but for underworld having a semi fixed set (like back during
the a hundred days off tour) was at least a little more
sonically interesting..

later
Old 03-12-2011, 04:55 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by negative1 View Post
but for underworld having a semi fixed set (like back during
the a hundred days off tour) was at least a little more
sonically interesting..

later
you know - after reading that - I put a few of my AHDO tour recordings onto my iPod to listen to while working out and whatnot during the day

those shows are MUCH better than I remembered! There really are quite a few differences between shows...

like a lot of improvs within songs, a decently varied 'setlist' and quite a few "improvs"*

aaaannnddd... all of the album tracks sound MASSIVELY better live than on the record. Case in point, "Dinosaur Adventure 3D"

As far as ranking tours... I might now say that OWB Tour might've been the best (if at least for the varied setlists) then Beaucoup Fish, then AHDO, then the Dubno Era, then STITI, then Barking (I'm not sure where I'd put the awkward post "Everything Everything" tour [the first time they toured without Emerson] b/c I probably listen to the Roskilde '00 show more often than any other boot... but at the same time... there are definitely some shows where they sound definitely a bit... off I guess)

*I put quotations around "improvs" b/c I don't really believe now that these were tracks made on the fly (basically b/c they're not as repetitive as what you'd find back during "the olden days")... more likely they're prepared "bridge tracks" like the Darren Price ones from the OWB tours