Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > moments.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 02:11 PM
negative1

Re: Boston Date Added
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff
Don't sweat it -1. We'll meet each other at some gig i'm sure. I didn't realize you live so close now.

I think the NYC show was better, though. There was so much more crowd energy. In Boston, I was upset because the people in the GA section were not shaking their ass as much as they should. It didn't stop me from having a good time though...
oh yeah, thanx....there are some other cool shows coming up
from some other groups (chemical brothers, thomas dolby, etc),
i haven't made plans yets..

i agree that is seemed like the ny show had more energy, but
that might have been because it was a smaller venue, and
more people were active? i actually think more people were
at the boston show, but they might have been more restricted,
with the seating...so i wouldn't really compare it in that sense..

lets just say, from the middle where i was watching, no one (yes,
not even me), was even seated for the show, or if they were,
it wasn't for long...

nice to hear from you guys again..

later
Old 09-17-2007, 04:26 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by negative1
aha! so you were the one that got to the setlist before i did..
i saw you too!

anyways, i was about 3 rows behind you, near the mixing desk, and actually it was pretty cool to see how they mixed the visuals and all the
other stuff going.
Dammit, Raj. I wanted to meet you too. I can't believe we did the same two shows and didn't meet.

I don't think you were 3 rows behind me during the show though, cause I was in the second row of the pit all night! Got to do the high-five thing with Karl when he came down to the rail after the end of Nuxx.

As far as the crowd energy, I'm not sure what it was like in the reserved seating area, but it the pit it was great! Actually, it started off really slow. I think between all the new songs and improvs at the beginning of the show, the crowd didn't seem that into it, and I was afraid it was going to be a really bad show. I kept turning around and seeing everyone around me just standing around. But once Pearl's Girl started, and then definitely from Two Months Off and onward, I think the crowd energy just got higher and higher. And the band responded too. Karl was bouncing off walls, of course, but even Rick was jamming behind the board, singing along to Karl's lyrics, and even running in place (during NUXX). Based on the last half of the show, I felt that overall it surpassed the New York show.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:34 PM
geoff
lay it on me two donuts

Yeah, from Pearl's Girl onwards I felt like the place livened up. But I had an excellent time from beat one.

You shoulda seen me dancing all up on the staff's backside when they turned their backs. LOL. My friend thought i was gonna get kicked out for that one...

hmm. question about the setlist... i thought uw didn't use setlists? what's up with that?
Old 09-18-2007, 08:18 AM
negative1

i think the setlist is needed for the person running the visuals,
although with their setup i'm sure they could assign them
on the fly...
Old 09-18-2007, 08:53 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

it is something I've wondered as well. Karl is always quite clear about them not using setlists, but he also says they don't rehearse, which I think we know they do.
Could be the setlists are simply transcribed during the show, as some kind of record, but that doesn't really make sense to me.

Maybe Karl can chime in on this sometime on uwlive....
so:

official question to Karl:
Do you use setlists or don't you?

many thanks
Old 09-18-2007, 09:14 AM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

i think it's clear they use setlists. it's also clear they are able to change course when needed. they def. have room to play around with improvs within the set framework but they absolutely have a setlist prepared when they go out on stage.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:03 AM
geoff
lay it on me two donuts

I wonder if they could just send a message to the visuals team what the next song is going to be, on-the-fly like. Is that what they used to do? It would explain all those historical comments from Karl about not having a setlist at all.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:50 PM
jasdotcom
river

I remember reading on the old Dirty forums that they create a setlist right before they go on (perhaps an hour before show time) based on all kinds of inputs and feelings they have at the moment. Then they get it to the lighting techs so they have some audio/visual continuity during the show.

Or maybe I just dreamt that's what they do