Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:32 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Re: Broken Lovely Thing : A message from Rick and Karl
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
Only real disappointment is the 192 kbps. Some of the vocals seem a bit muffled and to be honest 5 pounds for 7 songs is still kind of on the high end of pricing, which I wouldn't mind if the sound quality was like --aps or something...
i respectfully disagree...could just be the mix, but the vocals sound crisp to me, especially JAL to Tokyo...much better than either of the Tong broadcasts (although they were 96 and 128 kbps).

And the price? i;m just a poor student, but $8.60 USD for 7 songs is a deal, considering what CDs cost. Sure, slightly more than iTunes, but whatever, it's fair.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:44 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden
i respectfully disagree...could just be the mix, but the vocals sound crisp to me, especially JAL to Tokyo...much better than either of the Tong broadcasts (although they were 96 and 128 kbps).

And the price? i;m just a poor student, but $8.60 USD for 7 songs is a deal, considering what CDs cost. Sure, slightly more than iTunes, but whatever, it's fair.
Well, it mostly sounds great, but I think my problem are with the vocals in Lenny Penne...they just don't sound all that great at all, but I'm not sure if that's a problem with the sound quality or just a bad recording, or what.

Also, just want to point out another thing...the tracks Dub Shepard and Lenny Penne don't really have a good divide point, so it's probably best to leave them just as one.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:26 PM
carlstep333
river

Rick, Karl - big hand from me. Broken Lovely Thing is both fresh and refreshing, fantastically familiar; that sublime, superb Underworld sound still makes me smile.

To everyone else - remember this is a new direction for these guys, i'm sure this download only project will grow to be something really special ! For now, i'm just going to enjoy the moment.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:08 PM
third.toughest
Was Bruce Lee-now...

I had no prob dl'ing it.
OMFG!!!! It is spectacular!!!
Thanks UW, now come to the US and I can die a happy man.

Just have two questions:
1. I can't get teh photo's to play
2. How do you break it into separate tracks. I am going to wait and dl them all and then burn them to disk. I would like to have separate songs.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:15 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

third;

one, image files aren't meant to be played, you're supposed to look at them
two, google meda mp3 splitter, this program will help you
Old 11-10-2005, 04:36 PM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

just downloaded this. From what I've heard so far, I wouldn't call it spectacular, but I understand that this is not neccesarily comparable to the traditional album stuff, but rather someting a bit different than they would have been able to release when tied to a record company. I really love and appreciate the idea and the direction this is/could be going and it's good to hear that there will still be a "proper" album somewhere down the line.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Future Proof
Richard Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden
I disagree, based on the strength of this first release (3 songs in here that I like, ~$3/song isn't the end of the world) but I do feel that R&K should know that since they're using the Download project as a vehicle to drop some stuff on people that the band's not known for. But that's the thing, you know? There could be a ton of these downloads that may have nothing but crap in them, and I'd feel slighted then.

Of course, my primary concern was to come in here and give the guys major props on what I felt was a strong way to kickstart this thing into motion. But my advice to them - keep your price in mind before each release. If you know you're going to drop some real risky stuff, throw the people a bone and cut the price down.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:54 PM
Hex
river

I really like this idea. I like that I can directly support Underworld (and this project) by tossing a few $$$ their way. All of us have tonnes of bootlegs etc. that we listen too (some downloaded from UWLive, with more upcoming), for hours on end. Underworld (or their crew) don't see a dime for this, though it's pretty good advertising for how good they can be. And no matter how anti-filesharing you are, some of their rare stuff can't be bought in a manner that directly supports Underworld (i.e. Ebay). So if I can toss some $$$ their way and buy Rick and Karl and Darren (and Ant!) a latte, even indirectly, I'm loving the chance.

Remember, when you buy the tracks, you're also indirectly buying the bootlegs on UWLive....so to quibble over $2 a track or whatever for "Broken Lovely Thing" with some you like, some you don't, seems pointless when you look at the two bootlegs they have up right now being 12 parts and 18 parts, of high quality (soundboard?!?!?) bootlegs. So that's like...$10 for 37 tracks. We are getting a deal. (And that's not including the 3 other concerts they have posted in the past, and misc random/live studio stuff, which new/old UW fans can take advantage of without peer to peer.)

Heck, I'm more likely to buy high quality bootlegs than the studio material.

Thank-you Underworld!

-- hex
Old 11-10-2005, 08:19 PM
underneath_my_radar
dances between the towers

Guys,

Thanks SO much for continuing to provide us rabid fans with great music. I, like many others on here, I'm sure, cannot WAIT to listen to this new phase of Underworld, and I know I'll be buying this ASAP.

Keep up the great work, and those of us in the states hope you come back sooner rather than later...
Old 11-10-2005, 08:23 PM
underneath_my_radar
dances between the towers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex
Remember, when you buy the tracks, you're also indirectly buying the bootlegs on UWLive....so to quibble over $2 a track or whatever for "Broken Lovely Thing" with some you like, some you don't, seems pointless when you look at the two bootlegs they have up right now being 12 parts and 18 parts, of high quality (soundboard?!?!?) bootlegs. So that's like...$10 for 37 tracks. We are getting a deal. (And that's not including the 3 other concerts they have posted in the past, and misc random/live studio stuff, which new/old UW fans can take advantage of without peer to peer.)

Heck, I'm more likely to buy high quality bootlegs than the studio material.
Exactly...the cost is nothing comparred to what I'm sure we'll all get access to via this new way of bringing the music to the fans.

I applaud these guys and hope that this works out HUGE for them.
-m-