Dirty Forums > process.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 01:58 AM
Stephen
Hi! I'm Barry Scott!

Re: Turner prize- art? or just a shed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by big screen satellite
the turner prize is shit...the best thing that happened to it was the KLF in 93...
Why is it not shit if the KLF do it? Bearing in mind that you, out of all the people here, have a tendency to be, shall we say, more subjective than most (i.e. you're a fanboy).
Old 12-13-2005, 01:19 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Why is it not shit if the KLF do it? Bearing in mind that you, out of all the people here, have a tendency to be, shall we say, more subjective than most (i.e. you're a fanboy).
HA...well its not shit when the KLF did it because they actually showed it for what it was, crap, and showed how easy it is to make art and how easy it is for art to be judged, the KLF spent fortunes showing up the art 'business' as a sham

i'm not saying what they did was good art, i'm saying the best thing that happened was in 1993, when the KLF took on the establishment and basically won, no one in the 'business' liked what they did because it exposed how crap and easy art is to produce and to bestowe praise upon for, what is basically little effort...

art is a matter of judgement and acceptance, but to 'award' prizes for what basically was someone pouring concrete into a shell of a house and proclaiming it the best piece of 'art' that year was quite ridiculous and the KLF proved that by 'awarding' it the worst piece of art

just because you are an 'artist' does not mean that you can produce 'good' art

if i did the shed thing and took it to the Tate, it wouldn't be recognised because im not a known 'artist', so why should someone who 'studies' or spends their life doing 'art' offer such idiotic pieces of 'art' get such high praise...

there are plenty of artists out there creating, whether it be paintings, sculpture, architecture, music, etc. that deserve much more praise and acceptance than these waste of space exhibitionists, who basically seek to court controversy rather than art...

like i said and everyone says, its all subjective...

but i still think shed boat is a piece of shit
Old 12-13-2005, 05:02 AM
Rog
the fuckest upest

Quote:
Originally Posted by big screen satellite
HA...well its not shit when the KLF did it because they actually showed it for what it was, crap, and showed how easy it is to make art and how easy it is for art to be judged, the KLF spent fortunes showing up the art 'business' as a sham

i'm not saying what they did was good art, i'm saying the best thing that happened was in 1993, when the KLF took on the establishment and basically won, no one in the 'business' liked what they did because it exposed how crap and easy art is to produce and to bestowe praise upon for, what is basically little effort...

art is a matter of judgement and acceptance, but to 'award' prizes for what basically was someone pouring concrete into a shell of a house and proclaiming it the best piece of 'art' that year was quite ridiculous and the KLF proved that by 'awarding' it the worst piece of art

just because you are an 'artist' does not mean that you can produce 'good' art

if i did the shed thing and took it to the Tate, it wouldn't be recognised because im not a known 'artist', so why should someone who 'studies' or spends their life doing 'art' offer such idiotic pieces of 'art' get such high praise...

there are plenty of artists out there creating, whether it be paintings, sculpture, architecture, music, etc. that deserve much more praise and acceptance than these waste of space exhibitionists, who basically seek to court controversy rather than art...

like i said and everyone says, its all subjective...

but i still think shed boat is a piece of shit
exactly!.........fanboy
Old 12-13-2005, 05:44 AM
Renze
mouseman

You have to look at art in the context of the time it was made in. I think the guy who won the Turner prize this year did an awesome job. The idea of recycling is more important now than ever. Remember that with conceptual art, the concept/idea of an artwork is more important than the creation itself. He took the idea of recycling and made two pieces of art, one of them very abstract (the shed turning into a boat) and one more concrete (a bicycle that runs on electricity).
Old 12-14-2005, 02:54 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renze
You have to look at art in the context of the time it was made in. I think the guy who won the Turner prize this year did an awesome job. The idea of recycling is more important now than ever. Remember that with conceptual art, the concept/idea of an artwork is more important than the creation itself. He took the idea of recycling and made two pieces of art, one of them very abstract (the shed turning into a boat) and one more concrete (a bicycle that runs on electricity).

recycling is very important especially in the current climate,

and i believe that concept is as important as creation, but sticking a shed in an exhibition and stating that it is art is taking it one step to far, especially as he's won an award for it...

they don't give awards to thousands of other people who do good for the environment or highlight the need to recycle...and a lot of people who view this exhibition won't see past the fact that its a shed come boat, and nothing to do with the concept of recycling....

i know this is the whole point of this exhibition, to create debate, but i just don't like it as 'art'...

but if it does indeed encourage people to rethink then i'm all for it...
Old 12-14-2005, 04:22 AM
Rog
the fuckest upest

Personnaly i think its a load of self-indulgent twaddle masquerading as art. The idea of recycling is well known and this piece of wood does nothing in my eyes to 'draw attention' to recycling issues which we are well aware of..........its still a fuckin shed!
Old 12-14-2005, 04:58 AM
aNt
underworldlive | tomato

everyone needs a shed? long as its a big shed with a bar and pool table in it,
also need some space for the projector and xbox360 innit! sweet that would
be- gets my vote!
Old 12-14-2005, 06:30 AM
Rog
the fuckest upest

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNt
everyone needs a shed? long as its a big shed with a bar and pool table in it,
also need some space for the projector and xbox360 innit! sweet that would
be- gets my vote!
Unfortunately it was a crap shed.........
Old 12-14-2005, 10:46 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

if it makes you think, if it makes you consider whether if it's art, if it's crap, if we should be outraged, anything, then i believe that it should be called art. the worst kind is that which you feel neutral to and stirs absolutely nothing.

whether it's any good is clearly up to you, but it's art nonetheless because it raises questions about its very nature and forces us to see if we can adapt some of the more fringe interpretations into this one word.

i think a lot of things many people would call bullshit is art. i think the willingness to put these ideas out and ask us to take it seriously with them is a worthwhile exercise just as asking us to completely trash the faux-intellectual gabber is as well.

art is a lot of fun you guys
Old 12-15-2005, 01:49 AM
votingfloater
waukrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman
if it makes you think, if it makes you consider whether if it's art, if it's crap, if we should be outraged, anything, then i believe that it should be called art. the worst kind is that which you feel neutral to and stirs absolutely nothing.
If this hadn't won the Turner prize, it would have sunk without trace and there would be no discussion. If I'd encountered this project by chance, it would have done nothing for me. By your rationale, since it's the very act of giving it a prestigious but controversial award which creates the discussion, the prizegiving process is art and the shed/boat/shed is just a found object re-interpreted.

Is a newspaper art? No; however I have never, ever read a newspaper without it provoking much more extreme emotional and intellectual reactions than the toss that is constantly passed off as art just now. Don't get me wrong, there is good stuff out there but this isn't it. This is the work of a pillock that didn't get Transformers out of his system when he was a kid.

Rog nailed this for me: if this is what draws someone's attention to the fact that we have completely fucked the global environment, then they're probably a cretin who doesn't read the papers enough (or George Bush - guilty of Greenhouse Denial).