Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2008, 02:45 AM
froopy seal
amazinglytogetherpinniped

Send a message via ICQ to froopy seal
Re: currently reading?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GforGroove View Post
Im reading a little book with no author named CALL.

i think i just realized a few pages ago that is an actual communist manifesto. and is so wonderfull. Oh i love this book.
Where do I get this? Any name, ISBN? Or is it just a print-out of some geek's Internet ramblings?
Old 10-12-2008, 04:24 PM
GforGroove
marca libre

I don't know how you can get it. No author or ISBN sorry. Is not a geek internet rambling. It's a real book!. I wish the book would be on internet, but..supposedly... it has been distributed hand hand by hand. If you really super die for reading it, send me a pm and i send you a copy. is really small. But if you are not into "non-Bolshevik revolutionary milieus" (!) you might not even want to read it.
Is really beautiful and inspiring though.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:45 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
"Barrel Fever" - by David Sedaris... this is his first collection (1994) of stories and essays. Unlike his hilarious later autobiographical accounts, these works are mostly fictitious...sarcastic and occasionally funny, but he hadn't yet found his niche or voice.

"The Lost Continent" -by Bill Bryson (just finished during a weekend plane-trip). Travelogue of small-town Americana. Scathing in its criticism of dumpy two-bit towns and stripmalls/tourist traps; heartwarming when he assesses the essence of life out in the wilds of America.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:58 AM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

I have two other books going on too, but I've been warned to not let anyone know what I'm reading. ??? Bit odd, no?

One's on American folklore in american writing, the other is about this handicapped man who achieves great success in everything he does despite the odds. I'm beginning to think it was just his good looks that got him through, but that's just me.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:25 AM
IsiliRunite
de la Michigan

Send a message via AIM to IsiliRunite
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
"The Lost Continent" -by Bill Bryson (just finished during a weekend plane-trip). Travelogue of small-town Americana. Scathing in its criticism of dumpy two-bit towns and stripmalls/tourist traps; heartwarming when he assesses the essence of life out in the wilds of America.
Were you too content with yourself to notice his criticisms of (sub)urbia?
Old 10-17-2008, 08:38 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsiliRunite View Post
Were you too content with yourself to notice his criticisms of (sub)urbia?
Content with myself how? For finishing the book?

Thing is, he didn't really visit "suburbia" as the term applies to affluent outskirts of a larger town (with the exception of visits near Detroit and Philadelphia). The criticisms in the book are mostly on the consumerism excess of truck-stop or tourist-magnet towns and the resultant disappearance of a pre-suburbian small town way of life. His eventual return to his home in Iowa made it pretty clear that for all the tiny towns he'd seen, that sort of lifestyle is still quite charming.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Winston
is playing his didgeridoo

Send a message via ICQ to Winston Send a message via MSN to Winston
reading brisingr by christopher paolini, 3rd book of inheritance cycle

Old 11-04-2008, 11:27 PM
Sardo
lisner

Thanks ppl re Banks. He is hard to find near me. I wanted to buy some for my dad first but couldnt get any so got Bright Shiny Morning by James Frey. He wrote A Million Little Pieces and My Friend Leonard both of which I enjoyed a lot.

Anyway, dad liked this and he gave me one in return, Weapons Of Choice by John Birmingham. I was thinking that it might be the same guy who wrote He Died With A Falafel In His Hand, but it looked like a Clive Cussler cover... turns out to be the same guy after all. This is real different to HDWAFIHH but the same aussie slacker humour is apparent and it works so well.

Weapons is about a close future maritime war situation off the coast of Western Australia. We are at war with the Indos and Malaysians and the high tech gadgetry is headed by a research vessel commandeered by the navy which is still carrying out its research regardless. When they execute their experiment the fleet is moved to Midway circa 1942 as the yanks prepare to nuke Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The fleet lands right in the middle of the large US '42 fleet and in some cases fuses ships together as the suddenly take up the same space - this is really interesting in fact. Im currently here in the story. The mess is slowly being realised.

There are 3 books in the series it seems. Im hooked to reading an actual book again as opposed to those audiobooks.

Still want to get those Banks recommendations still and will try ordering them if no luck.

Onya Underworlders.

Croz

Last edited by Sardo; 11-04-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:18 PM
grady
fac321

Tricked by Alex Robinson
Old 11-16-2008, 05:39 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Widows of Eastwick, John Updike. What a let down. Felt like reading stories in Good Housekeeping.

Now,

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle