Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:59 AM
cacophony
disquietude

going broke on barking
okay so "going broke" is a little dramatic. but i'm in the midst of a huge and expensive home remodeling project and i'm trying to watch my pennies. i've been waffling about whether to order the super extra special deluxe release with all of the extra tracks, especially because the conversion rate puts that purchase at about $80 when all is said and done.

and then there's the japanese release with the bonus YDS track. YDS is one of my faves but it's album-only and a japan itunes gift card that can cover the purchase of the entire album cost something like $40.

so i'm trying to figure out where my money is best applied. do i bust my entertainment budget and just throw $120 at my favorite musical act? the completionist in me cries YES because i can't stand the idea of not having every release. do i blow $40 just to get my hands on one version of YDS? do i instead drop $80 because at least i'll get multiple new tracks at that price?

fellow dirties, your advice is needed.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:16 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Re: going broke on barking
I ordered the deluxe box from UWlive prior to finding out about the Abbey Road Verz of YDS, and to be honest, I'm quite put off by it. So much so that I refuse to spend another $40 to get one track (those days are done!) that I'm just going to download it. I'm so fed up with the bonus track, limited edition, Japanese-only! aspect of this band's releases. I'm so very anti stealing music which is why this pains me but enough is enough.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:21 AM
bazwint
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatobroth View Post
I$40 to get one track
Agreed. It's nonsense. That sort of marketing model deserves to fail.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:24 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

That said, if they post these one-off special tracks on UWlive, I'll purchase each one separately. But I'm not importing an album for one track ever again. I used to do that with singles (BF era) but its just not worth it anymore, not with the internet.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:56 AM
bazwint
mouseman

Quote:
if they post these one-off special tracks on UWlive, I'll purchase each one separately.
Absolutely. We want to buy music but we can't. What's that about? Oh yeah, marketing.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:16 AM
cacophony
disquietude

Quote:
That said, if they post these one-off special tracks on UWlive, I'll purchase each one separately. But I'm not importing an album for one track ever again. I used to do that with singles (BF era) but its just not worth it anymore.
this is where my head is, too. there was a time when i would have put every dollar on the line to get my hands on every single remix and release, but i'm an older and more responsible person now. $40 to get a single track or $40 on diapers? unfortunately diapers win.

i want to support the band financially but album only releases force you to buy a gift card large enough to cover the whole album. so i'd end up spending that $40 and i'd have money left over on the card. and since there isn't really anything else i don't own that's only available in japan that leftover money would just languish there for god only knows how long.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:59 AM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

i concur. $40 is not worth a single 256kbps m4a... it's not even worth a single wav... I'd pay the extra for a physical release of the japanese version only - at least then you'd have some tangible evidence of what you've spent your money on... plus it's more collectible than a digital file.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:32 AM
lectoid
Is that really you?

Seconded...or uh, Fifthed rather.

This was my theory with the 3CD supremely limited Tokyo set. I finally found it on a torrent because that's the only way I'll ever be able to hear about it. I'm not buying it on ebay. UW wouldn't see that money anyways.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:36 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

I'm not talking about booting the entire collection, not by a long shot. I made my choice and opted for the Deluxe 3-disc collection offered by Underworldlive.com because I thought that it would be THE definitive, Underworld-junkie's get-it-all-in-one-place collection. I was wrong, but its close. Japanese, UK, iTunes specials? That's crap. The website should trump all of that.

Last edited by potatobroth; 09-08-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:49 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

yeeeah, they're getting my cash and lots of it. i expect to drop 30 for when 'bungalow with stairs' becomes available on the site too

cant really have an issue with downloading a bonus track for free.