Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:06 PM
Champiness
Once again the superstar

Re: Secret Project: Theatre Related
Excellent. Incidentally I just finished reading the book!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:32 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdave2 View Post
Okay, I've just checked the news to make sure I'm not re-stating the obvious again...

...but has nobody yet discussed this?
Nope, I don't think anyone noticed. Nice find. Although Danny Boyle being involved should have been a clue to dig deeper, and then we might've seen the credits page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdave2 View Post
Hoping for a recording!
Yeah, maybe an official cast recording CD release?

Edit: http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/01/21...-tell-us-more/

Quote:
Screenwriter Nick Pear (Persuasion) has penned the play, which will be filmed for a television airing for those who can't make out to the South Bank for the real deal.
Although that was from January, so who knows if that's still the plan. I had no idea that Boyle originally came from the world of theater.

Edit 2: Some music details: http://www.collider.com/2010/11/07/d...tein-olympics/

Quote:
The Royal (National Theatre which houses the Olivier where the play will be) is known for musicians and employs a lot of musicians. So, will you score it?

Boyle: Well, I’m hoping to kind of musically score it to a degree, but it’ll be a play of performance and speech and there will be some musical elements in it (but it won’t be a musical).
Edit 3: Collaboration with Alex Baranowski
http://alexbaranowski.co.uk/2010/12/...y-danny-boyle/

Quote:
Very pleased to announce I’m presently working with electro duo Underworld, arranging the score to the much anticipated Frankenstein directed by Oscar winning Danny Boyle, and opening at the National’s Olivier Theatre in February 2011.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:31 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

LAGER LAGER LAGER!
Old 12-17-2010, 04:35 PM
twicezero
mouseman

frankenstein
So underworld are doing the music for frankenstein http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/62...nkenstein.html

Tickets already seem to have sold lots, I ended up skipping the weekend and getting tickets for a monday showing, as there are few good seats left.

Grumpy that it wasn't announced earlier but really happy that i got a mail so i could buy good seats Is this new to everyone else?
Old 12-18-2010, 06:31 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Re: frankenstein
Quote:
Originally Posted by twicezero View Post
So underworld are doing the music for frankenstein

Grumpy that it wasn't announced earlier but really happy that i got a mail so i could buy good seats Is this new to everyone else?
We are used to a total lack of information these days.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:37 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

wait...

I definitely remember this being a link on an UW live journal entry not too long ago...

but where does it say Underworld involvement...?

...oh wait - I see, over on the "Cast Credits" page, never mind

So - is this the "BIG NEWS" ?
Old 12-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Chris M
dirtiest sensor ever

We just got the official press release from their PR this morning - here is the scoop:

Underworld rolled into 2010 packing magic and zeal to spare. Flexing their creative muscle across music, television, performance, art and technology, the multimedia extravaganza founded by Rick Smith and Karl Hyde released their sixth studio album, dropped a stack of thumping singles, toured extensively, debuted on US Late Night television, and presented an art exhibit in Japan. Wrapping up an astoundingly successful year with a new single, the electronic powerhouse reunites with Oscar-winning director Danny Boyle and appears with David Lynch on KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic in early 2011.

Capitalizing on the collaborative spirit that has constantly reinvigorated their sound and imagination, Underworld's sixth studio album, "Barking" (OM Records) featured a slew of guests including Paul Van Dyk, Dubfire, Mark Knight and D. Ramirez. USA Today praised Barking's first single "Always Loved a Film" as "a dizzying seven-minute house groove saturated in funk.” The cover artwork for Barking was created by design troupe Tomato (which Smith and Hyde co-founded with John Warwicker in the early '90s). Their latest single "Bird 1" dropped November 23rd, featuring remixes by Pete Tong and Mark Broom.

From their earliest days, Underworld have been multimedia provocateurs, pushing the boundaries of post-modern musicianship, inspiring icons like long time collaborator Brian Eno to seek them out for the Pure Scenius project, where they played largely improvised gigs at Sydney’s Opera House and at the Brighton Festival.

Ahead of the curve, Underworld were one of the first acts of their scale to leverage social media to their advantage, directly selling their own records online in 2005 with the Riverrun Project, an Internet/fan exclusive series of mix sets. In 2005 they beamed a show live from Tokyo free to the world via www.underworldlive.com in what was a world first. In August 2009 they continued their series of incredible groundbreaking live audio-visual broadcasts becoming the first artists to broadcast live to iPhone users globally, from The Fox Oakland Theater.

This past August Karl Hyde had his first solo art exhibit in Tokyo where the album debuted at #1 on the charts. Titled “What’s Going on in your head while you’re dancing,” the exhibit showcased over 90 pieces of Hyde’s visual art. In addition, The Edinburgh Festival staged a Frantic Assembly and National Theatre of Scotland production titled “Beautiful Burnout" that won a Fringe First Award.

Proving no medium was immune, Underworld beat fellow electronic giants Daft Punk, The Chemical Brothers, the Prodigy, Crystal Method and even Kraftwerk to the US Late Night TV slot, appearing on NBC's Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.

Thanks in large part to its featured role in Danny Boyle's movie, Trainspotting, Underworld's biggest hit "Born Slippy" wound up selling over 1 million copies. Years later, the collaboration with Boyle continues to break new ground as Smith & Hyde blur the lines between arts, providing the music and sound score to Boyle's theatrical adaptation of Frankenstein opening at London's National Theatre in February. Prior to that, on January 17, they appear on KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic, with special guest David Lynch in support of Lynch's remix music project.

As the rest of the music industry stumbles across an ever-shifting landscape, Underworld's decades-strong stride across genres and mediums continues unabated.

Infinite Love for Underworld:

"Underworld's most consistent album in more than a decade."

Washington Post

"Embraces their classic sound but adds an undeniably fresh vibe"

MTV News

"Underworld’s songwriting stays nonconformist, evading dance-music obviousness for longer melodies and more literary, elusive thoughts."

NY Times

"Barking inhabits an odd place: half-dolorous electro-pop, half-affirming sunnyside jams."

Pitchfork

"Earnest emotions surprisingly suit these dance-floor surrealists"

SPIN

"The combination of über-flâneur Karl Hyde’s Whitmanesque lyricism and Rick Smith’s virtuoso beat-mastering makes it pretty much impossible to walk in to an Underworld set without a big dopey grin seizing your face for a good couple of hours."

URB

"Burning even brighter in a kind of blazing twilight that just might be the sun coming up after an all-nighter"

Paper Magazine

“Barking is the sound of veterans re-energised”

Uncut

“Skipping beats and cavernous bass”

MOJO

“Up with their hypnotically melodic best”

The Sun

“Ranks with their very best material to date”

Clash

“A blistering return”

Mixmag

“Still unmistakably Underworld”

The Observer

“Dizzyingly Divine”

Time Out

“Thumping Party Starters”

PITCHFORK

Last edited by Chris M; 12-20-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:04 AM
stimpee
Administrator

TLDR heres the juice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
the collaboration with Boyle continues to break new ground as Smith & Hyde blur the lines between arts, providing the music and sound score to Boyle's theatrical adaptation of Frankenstein opening at London's National Theatre in February. Prior to that, on January 17, they appear on KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic, with special guest David Lynch in support of Lynch's remix music project.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:49 AM
Chris M
dirtiest sensor ever

the kcrw session was actually prerecorded a month or so ago. i imagine it was around the same time UW was promoting questions for the david lynch interview.

i'm really looking forward to hearing this next month
Old 12-21-2010, 12:28 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

The KCRW session is from Nov. 1, the day after Hard Haunted Mansion, and before they headed back to the UK:

http://www.underworldlive.com/diarie...e.asp?DID=1581