Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 12:01 PM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

It was 40 Years Ago Today...
Sergeant Pepper taught the band to play!

I don't care what any of you youngsters say, this was a seminal album with some truly awesome tracks on it. It shaped my teenage-hood and led me into a whole range of amazing sounds that culminated in the kind of music I love today.

Happy Birthday Sergeant Pepper!
Old 06-01-2007, 01:43 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Re: It was 40 Years Ago Today...
i loved Sgt. Pepper when i was a kid. got into it through the movie with the Bee Gees! after all, Spirits Having Flown is as good as anything the Beatles ever did
Old 06-03-2007, 07:48 AM
stimpee
Administrator

I've always thought a more revolutionary album was this one, released 3 weeks earlier.

Revolver by The Beatles was much more groundbreaking than Sgt Pepper IMO. And, it was a mistake to leave out Strawberry Fields Penny Lane. That sort of thing wouldnt happen these days.

Of course, the awful thing about Strawberry Fields Forever was that it was kept off the number one spot by Englebert Humperdink - Release Me
Old 06-03-2007, 08:05 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

I definitely agree about "revolver"

but I'm a bit confused about "And, it was a mistake to leave out Strawberry Fields Penny Lane. That sort of thing wouldnt happen these days."

I really don't have much beatles knowledge... do you mean that "Strawberry Fields" and "Penny Lane" were going to be on Revolver? or is "Strawberry Fields Penny Lane" a separate track?
Old 06-03-2007, 09:49 AM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

If my old memory serves me right, Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane were and A side/B side of the same single. I can't be arsed to check discogs though so I might be wrong. Old age and memory are not always compatible
Old 06-03-2007, 02:21 PM
myshkin
mouseman

Strawberry Fields & Penny Lane were part of the Pepper sessions but Brian Epstein was pressuring George Martin, their seminal producer in case anyone's wondering, for a single release and so those two got released as a double A-Side. The Beatles tended not to have singles also on albums and so the mistake George Martin said he's always regrettted having weakened Pepper by releasing those tracks as a single. Similarly neither of the amazing Rain/Papareback Writer single made it onto Revolver. I think of The Beatles albums of that time, Magical Mystery Tour is possibly the greatest- genius virtually from start to finish, including Strawberry Fields & the mind-blowing I Am the Walrus. So all of Pepper and MMTour and the incredible track, All Too Much, all from 1967. Though to add I think Pepper's actually become undervalued lately; besides the obvious moments of genius like Day in the Life & Within You Without You, things like Lovely Rita, Mr Kite, Sgt Pepper Reprise are amazing out there pop music...and as beautiful & unique a track as She's Leaving Home.

Last edited by myshkin; 06-03-2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:36 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

as much as i like the Pepper album, to me, i feel that as things get older they get more and more over rated...

yeah this was not the Beatles best album, and to be honest some of the tracks just don't sit well on this particular LP,

40 years ago it was groundbreaking, but today its just another old album, good though it is - i think this and many other albums are too bloody over rated... its the same with old movies, people put on their nostalgic specs and think the past was fucking great (says mr 80's!) but in truth we forget how good some things are, that have followed...

yes its a good album, but do we need to celebrate it every fucking ten years...???

i'm in grumpy old man mode... today
Old 06-04-2007, 01:30 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

you are all so fucking ooooold

Last edited by King of Snake; 06-04-2007 at 02:03 AM.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:34 AM
myshkin
mouseman

My favourite writer is Dostoevsky, King of Snake. Does that mean I was around when he wrote? And any self-respecting lover of the kind of music Underworld make, knows it all started with Tomorrow Never Knows by The Beatles off the Revolver album. This from 1966 remember:
=
No offence, but knowing this music & others like Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd stuff, Jimi Hendrix, Velvet Underground etc etc doesn't mean you're old; it means you're not musically ignorant.

Last edited by myshkin; 06-04-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:17 AM
sanakan
junkie-criminal-fugitive

you saw the " " sign in KoS' post, myshkin?

don't take all things equally serious..