Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:24 AM
vacant
pretty

Re: Long Slow Slippy limited edition vinyl
I just received the Born Slippy 2003 CD from Amazon Japan (cheers for the tip!) and have just listened to the Down Mix for the first time... it's Laurie Anderson does Underworld isn't it?

Not sure how I missed it at the time, but it's brilliant!

v.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:47 PM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milking Your Plastic View Post
Karl & Rick don't have another anthem like NUXX left in them. The song was a fluke to begin with.
I have to disagree with you on this statement. R & K have released some brilliant compositions together even though no other track has reached the "anthem" status.

Every artist has a peak. One of two things will happen at this point, they will either continue to grow and develop their sound as has R & K from the early days of Freur until now OR they will disband or fizzle out.

As far as NUXX being an anthem, it really may have been fluke. I'm pretty sure when they recorded and remixed this track they had no idea how big it would become. They just released it at the perfect moment and it became an anomaly.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:54 PM
Milking Your Plastic
Milking Your Plastic

ultradave, I agree with all the points you made but I guess I just expected something a little better. Maybe it's selfish to expect UW to keep delivering the goods but it would have been good if they had a brand new cracking dance track waiting in the can to paste into the film with some potential commercial appeal like the singles from BBWFASF had or at least something more creative than what we got. Others might disagree with me but what we got is pretty weak when you consider it's for the sequel to Trainspotting.

Last edited by Milking Your Plastic; 02-10-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:34 PM
purlieu
enofa

Quote:
Karl & Rick don't have another anthem like NUXX left in them. The song was a fluke to begin with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultradave View Post
I have to disagree with you on this statement.

no other track has reached the "anthem" status.

it really may have been fluke.
Sounds like you're agreeing to me...
Old 02-10-2017, 10:50 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

Eh, who cares about if they have another "anthem" or not. It's not like they were particularly looking for that stupid huge chart topper in the first place. Sure, Nuxx was a bit of a fluke as far as mass appeal, but the quality of their output hasn't really wavered, in my opinion, though their style has changed drastically. Every album or era has the real standouts and some stuff that kinds falls back into myriad of content they've put out. Not every track needs to be a Cowgirl/Nuxx/KoS/TMO/etc.

As per this release? From the sound of it they weren't expecting this to be in such demand (such a limited edition with the most unique bits being the packaging), so it makes sense they weren't putting a lot behind it. As for if it's worth it or not, that's up to each of you. I don't think this particular release is indicative of anything larger, though.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:34 PM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

Quote:
Others might disagree with me but what we got is pretty weak when you consider it's for the sequel to Trainspotting.
I have to agree with you here.

My thinking on though is perhaps, it wasn't just to the 2 minds of R & K putting this together. I'm sure there was input from Danny Boyle to a certain degree and maybe others.

It is an unusual track for sure, but UW aren't afraid to experiment and that certainly is a good thing. I remember when Born Slippy 2003 was released and seeing "Down Version", I was super excited. But, it really didn't do it for me. I guess we all get let down from time to time.

Who knows, maybe we'll get some fan remixes of Long Slow Slippy...
Old 02-12-2017, 11:48 AM
darkvoice
mouseman

I wish they could have added Low Burn into the movie. Has the same energy as BS, great lyrics for 20 years latee vibe and also not a single release. The 12" could have the full version of the song, which would be a great addition because I think the song is a bit to short.

I regret ordering the 12". The soundtrack could be more fitting when I've seen the movie and place songs in context.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:13 AM
markreed
mouseman

NUXX is their Wonderwall. If anything Rez/Cowgirl is their anthem / signature track to me.

In fact, it's pretty damn far from an anthem as it hasn't really got a chorus, and the lyrics aren't exactly what you'd whistle on the way to work. If it hadn't been on Trainspotting, UW would still be a mid size act but they'd never have had that early period of hugeness from 96-02 which gave them the financial independence they needed to be truly self-sufficient.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:07 AM
DoctorRad
mouseman

Quote:
It is nothing special. The short version on the soundtrack captures the good bits of the song. I never thought I would say that about a UW track but here I am.
So, first of all, Underworld have done a lot of material over the years that really isn't all that. All of the studio albums before and since AHDO have filler on them. It's just that when they're good, they're very, very good. Which is why we stick with them.

NUXX is far from being their best output, it's not even in their top ten tracks for me (not the studio version anyway). It's just that it hit the right moment and surfed the wave. Good for them.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:56 PM
eightyfish
river

I just received this after a long postal delay. Wow... what a waste of time. I saw T2 and the slowed down opening chords of BS work perfectly, but the A side here is just awful. It's unlistenable. Could have started with the slow chords and built something new from there maybe? I dunno, this is just (as had been pointed out already) BS played slowly. I though maybe it would make sense once I got the vinyl but not so much. Can't ever see myself playing it again.

The B side is quite nice, reminiscent of the Pearl's Girl b-sides maybe, but for the price of this record including international postage two and half minutes of Eventually But is just not worth it. I have always bought pretty much everything UW have released immediately but I feel the trust has broken down here. This is just lazy.

Never though I'd see myself complaining about an UW release but there you go.

Last edited by eightyfish; 03-15-2017 at 05:00 PM.