Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 09:15 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

Re: Rihanna
I know, but lukeyD seemed to be expressing a similar sentiment as mine.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

It was an ok song to begin with but just died due to its overkill. Perfect recipe for a number 1 really, cute girl wearing nought, annoyingly catchy lyrics and beats.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:36 AM
kid cue
ryooong

shit, i just lost my reply.

i was responding to the idea that "anything grates if you listen to it long enough." i don't think this is true. we're conditioned to be skeptical of "stupid, disposable pop," so if we approach it as corporate noise warfare than of course it's only going to get more irritating the longer it sticks around. but we can also accept catchy, pleasurable music that is relevant NOW, if not later, as what it is. clearly a lot of people are doing that.

i know the fact that it's an addicting song (i.e. does NOT get worse over time) for a lot of people says little about its overall quality (i already said i like it because it seems meaningful AND catchy, where the sentiments match up to the sounds), but i also think that we shouldn't always ignore the fact that songs become this popular, either. it's easy to be predisposed to what's on the charts, but this makes it even easier to hear it all the same way. i was really annoyed by the song the first couple times i heard it, then i heard what some people liked about it, then i started to actually listen to it, did a complete 180, etc.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:57 AM
lukeyd
j00 makes kitteh scared

Send a message via MSN to lukeyd
being popular used to instantly make me hate a track when i was 15 or so, then i stopped trying to be the stereotypical 'elitest fuck' and tried to approach all types of music without preconceptions.

now, i love pop. i actually really enjoy mcfly and girls aloud (sometimes). the only thing that upsets me about pop is that some people never discover anything outside the boundaries of radio play. but thats their problem.

however:
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Snake
Since when does a song's chart position say anything about the quality of a song. Charts are mostly made by how much money is thrown at an artist.
agreed. how well a song does in the charts (well, singles charts anyway) is all down to marketing, hence the important fact that she's fit. this is cos (INCOMING SWEEPING STATEMENT ALERT) most people who buy singles don't really assess the track on any objective personal sense of scale, they just like it cos they've heard it before. i have no research to prove this, but i'm sure most people on slightly obscure music boards will agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid cue
Pon De Replay is also awesome.
so so so true.

Last edited by lukeyd; 08-03-2007 at 03:14 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:13 AM
lukeyd
j00 makes kitteh scared

Send a message via MSN to lukeyd
Quote:
i was responding to the idea that "anything grates if you listen to it long enough." i don't think this is true. we're conditioned to be skeptical of "stupid, disposable pop," so if we approach it as corporate noise warfare than of course it's only going to get more irritating the longer it sticks around.
i don't like this idea of conditioning. I'm not saying that said conditioning doesnt happen (i'm certain it does - hence the elitest fuck mindset), but i'd like to think i'm more immune to it than most just by sheer virtue of being aware of it
Quote:
i know the fact that it's an addicting song (i.e. does NOT get worse over time) for a lot of people says little about its overall quality (i already said i like it because it seems meaningful AND catchy, where the sentiments match up to the sounds), but i also think that we shouldn't always ignore the fact that songs become this popular, either.
i think the point you're making is this: if you blanketed all pop music as throwaway shallow toss, you'd miss out on a lot of fun. which i wholeheartedly agree with.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:47 AM
Rog
the fuckest upest

Agreed! there have been some great pop songs over the years........this aint one of them in my most humble opinion........in fact i can't bear it
when it comes on the radio at work i switch the f**kin radio off! another song that does this to me is that lily allen clone ...somebody nash is it?.......shite!