Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:09 AM
Spooky Shoes
Sole Man

Re: Not another Nuxx thread, surely?
Quote:
Originally Posted by big screen satellite
imo, its a weak assed lame dj that plays born slippy to get his kicks from a crowd
Couldn't agree more... Another track commonly used in this fashion is Higher State Of Consciousness by Josh Bastard Wink.... Grrr! If any DJ plays these two tracks they need to have their ears plugged and fingers amputated.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:15 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky Shoes
Couldn't agree more... Another track commonly used in this fashion is Higher State Of Consciousness by Josh Bastard Wink.... Grrr! If any DJ plays these two tracks they need to have their ears plugged and fingers amputated.
its not the playing of born slippy or any other track that is wrong, per se, its the fact that the cunt of a dj is standing there, arms aloft living off the energy of a track he had nothing to do with except add some noodly trance shite too (if it is indeed his remix, which i think it might not be).

karl hyde can stand there and take acclaim when uw play it live, for sure, he wrote the fucking tune and it means something emotionally special to him and the band, hell even darren emerson could stand up there and play it live to live off it if he wants, but some belgian twat with no balls milking a e'd up crowd of goons, fuck off...

i'm mad now...

not at the thread but at DJ's in general... :hate: :hate:
Old 03-20-2008, 03:17 AM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

Quote:
the thing is with that nobend Johan Gielen, is that the crowd were not specifically reacting to the tune, yes the tune was part of the event - and it does get reactions, but any big tune from 'that era', coupled with the stupid lasers, god like apperance of the arse of a dj and the stupid stuff falling onto the crowd would have, imo, prompted the same reaction

(...)

long live Underworld...
I dunno about it being "any number" of choons from that era. You can see by the way he set it up that Gielen has thought out the impact NUXX is gonna have, and has worked the crowd with it.

It is an iconic piece (no matter how much you want to pretend it isn't cos you're being a fanboy snob )

And it is my bet that in ten years time it will still have the same effect on the crowd. Long live Underworld!!!
Quote:
still its a good debate....
Sure is
Old 03-20-2008, 03:18 AM
undarrenworld
bungalow

Quote:

anyone can play born slippy off vinyl, but only one band made it and plays it live....
Well said Matt
Old 03-20-2008, 03:20 AM
Spooky Shoes
Sole Man

Quote:
its not the playing of born slippy or any other track that is wrong, per se, its the fact that the cunt of a dj is standing there, arms aloft living off the energy of a track he had nothing to do with except add some noodly trance shite too (if it is indeed his remix, which i think it might not be).
Two Words....

Norman Cook.

http://xs125.xs.to/xs125/08124/_38135104_fatboy4347.jpg

Last edited by Spooky Shoes; 03-20-2008 at 03:23 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:27 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky Shoes
Two Words....

Norman Cook.
yeah true,

but the thing is, norman does it, and milks it, but he created the mix version he uses, and he uses it as a kind of trademark.... like that planet of the phatbird track...

and he's remixed Underworld so i kinda think he has some credibility, and he doesn't stand up with halo's of light around him like some born again christ like superstar, he's just some dodgy ex-housemartin who waves to the crowd every time a tune he plays comes on... he's not in the same twat league as Gielen

and i see him in sainsburys quite a bit
Old 03-20-2008, 03:27 AM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

This is kinda weird - cos surely without the "c*nt of a dj standing, arms aloft living off the energy of the track" how would any dance track make it?

The essential thing about dance music is that people associate it with a whole experience. It isn't just hearing it on the radio that is going to turn it into a Top 10 hit (unless Pete Tong or some other high profile radio jock is on a mission like he was with this).

Slagging dj's for living off the energy of the tracks they play is a little like slagging a conductor of a classical orchestra for getting his kicks out of conducting Mozart. Everyone knows he wasn't the bloke wot wrote it, but that doesn't mean that he should be given no credit for bringing it to the people that want to hear it.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:53 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

there are djs and then there are cunt djs like this one... some play tunes because they like them and know a crowd likes them, then there are people like tiesto and many a trance dj who basically take the crowd for some kind of cheap ride to boost their own pathetic egos

yeah put on a show, yeah play some big tunes, but don't stand there asking the crowd to praise you for some track that you put on, which had nothing to do with you...

dj's of old never used to do this, they were stuck in a booth played some tunes and the crowd still went wild and they still took home a nice hefty paypacket and were still considered god like, they just didn't milk it - most knew their place

djs were revered and there is nothing wrong with that, but there are limits and this twat has gone way over...

this is a new era of dj's that are talentless goons living off everyone else

i appreciate the art - hell i'll even accept he cued up the track for the whole snowy effect, but its grating me that he's standing there like some kind of god -
YOU

ARE

A

FUCKING

DJ

YOU

PLAY

RECORDS

(most NOT VERY GOOD)

end of story...

and for that matter of knowing that that track would get the crowd going kinda hints to me that his entire set was programmed with no invention whatsoever, its way too coreographed to be spontanious, or reacting to the crowd... i bet this guy has like three or four standard sets (all on Dat) which he brings along and says to the event organisers - right, here when this tuen kicks in i want snowy feathers to fall down, during this part i want a light shining behind me, and at the end i want to decend over the crowd on a highwire, no - don't worry about the music, the dat will keep playing....

maybe i'm getting old, and this is what does it these days for kids...

it was better in my day... bring back the Hac
Old 03-20-2008, 04:21 AM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

Ah! Fair enough, then.

I thought for a minute it was dj's in general, not this type in particular, that were getting your goat.

I think Gielen is a bit of an extreme example, probably cos he was wanting to put on a "show" at a big event. Most club dj's are still in booths/cages, relying on whatever lighting the club might have and the quality of their own skills mixing choons and creating drops. Not up on a stage fannying about like this guy.

I still get goosebumps when I hear the crowd's reaction to NUXX though.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:33 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBurnout
I still get goosebumps when I hear the crowd's reaction to NUXX though.
i'm not annoyed by DJs playing NUXX. and sometimes i do get goosebumps too. But when gimps like this act like twats and milk a really shitty version of NUXX i dont get goosebumps. I just want to smack them in the face with a cricket bat. I think you used a very bad example to illustrate your goosebumps theory. Johan Gielen goes onto the same shitlist as Marco Bailey.