Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2008, 05:05 AM
Lx_Nen
Romford no more

Ring Road video
A video for Ring Road has appeared over on Underworldlive...

...and a damn fine one too! Call me old fashioned if you like, but it's got a 'kiteless for the new millennium' feel to it that fits the song and Underworld far better than the likes of the 'boy boy boy' video. It's almost the missing link between Kiteless and the Crocodile video too.

10/10 from me!
Old 05-14-2008, 05:41 AM
negative1

Re: Ring Road video
i would hardly call a slideshow like this a video..

i'm sorry but the song itself is not strong enough to
warrant having a video..

no its not even close to their earlier work...

still waiting for a 'proper' video to show up..
looks like the ones for this album didn't make the cut..

oh well..

later
Old 05-14-2008, 07:23 AM
mondokat
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by negative1 View Post
i would hardly call a slideshow like this a video..

no its not even close to their earlier work...
Actually, it's very reminiscent of the Spoonman video. It does have some fancier computer affects, but I would say that the geometric shapes seem kind of tacked on. Overall, as far as the video goes, I like it a lot.

The song doesn't fit the video though. When I first heard the song I thought it was jarring how British it is. I remember thinking it was a very obvious homage to their home town, and I would have expected the video to be the same. No pictures or video from Essex? No Romford? Not even a picture of a building? Very strange. The song references a TON of people and culture, but the video totally misses that point. They missed a terrific opportunity here, if you ask me.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:13 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondokat View Post

The song doesn't fit the video though. When I first heard the song I thought it was jarring how British it is. I remember thinking it was a very obvious homage to their home town, and I would have expected the video to be the same. No pictures or video from Essex? No Romford? Not even a picture of a building? Very strange. The song references a TON of people and culture, but the video totally misses that point. They missed a terrific opportunity here, if you ask me.
Tend to agree. But this just opens up the debate of whether you want a literal video, where the images are ties to the lyrics, or, as UW have most often done, something much more conceptual, even nonrepresentational.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:50 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Tend to agree. But this just opens up the debate of whether you want a literal video, where the images are ties to the lyrics, or, as UW have most often done, something much more conceptual, even nonrepresentational.
thaaaaank you
if anything this is treading old ground. refining some things, but going back to that look of the feel of the track not being tied to anything literal but given color and type as its own attitude.
i mentioned in the uwlive thread that i like the video for boy boy boy and all, but this is finally some satisfaction. if thats a slideshow then its always been that.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:54 AM
khouri
khondo dweller

I tend to prefer more conceptual videos and songs, myself, which is why I like Underworld. But Ring Road is a explicitly pedestrian song referencing extremely specific things in a very clearly defined reality. I think the video should have followed suit in this case.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:35 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

what's funny...

is that, if the video was basically a literal translation of the lyrics to "Ring Road" the SAME PEOPLE would be moaning "why can't they do more conceptual videos like they used to... why don't they do stuff like 'Rez' 'Spikee' or 'Darktrain'"

I actually liked this video, not totally sure about those geometric shapes, but overall... I found it pretty damn entertaining (much more so than say... "Boy Boy Boy" or DA3D)

...anyways they already did a video where it's just (basically) someone walking through the city... it's called "Banstyle" - remember?
Old 05-14-2008, 11:17 AM
gillenium

Booooooorrrriing.

But all of the OWB videos have looked like high school video projects, so I wasn't expecting much.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:41 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

pfft.
i think only beautiful burnout could be seen as DIY enough to be made in high school. i challenge anyone in college even to replicate what was done in BBB and RR. if they could do it without looking like amateur hour on youtube then they can probably get a job doing it.

ps. it's weird being the one defending their output . i can SORTA understand the mild frustration i guess. i'd actually be rather depressed if they did one that literally showed what the song was on about

pps. despite me liking the video and the recent mix up with minneapolis i still think this song is terrible.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Yannick
Mew Mew

I want you to be the way I want you to be and when you're not It hurts (me) Like shredded tape something sticky for security wrapped tight around a metal box to imitate security there's a blue sky over me but the fear is on me In a place where ball games are strictly forbidden luxury two bedroom apartments overlook the traffic lights next to the rails It's a hot day It's a It's a hot day a lazy day for some but I'm bringing from the inside all these things I see a wall that's gonna fall down maybe hurt somebody after it's been tagged and fly posted It's a rush job It looks good for long enough knock ʻem out and sell ʻem and move on It's a fast buck and the race is on to get in get out get what you want get out It's the short term the long term can look after itself unless you happen to be living here I gotta stop

People are squinting to block out the sun complaining or sucking it up praying for rain the next minute for a scorched earth what's it worth? Enough is never enough let's have a little moan put the world to rights sit back and watch it all slide by itʼs a view from a train pay somebody else to drive see the suits I see the suits sunning themselves on the steps of the supermarkets and I think of you when Iʼm alone like this burning from the inside

I found a new door I didn't know where it went I went through and came out in this shopping mall where boys wear England shirts and West Ham shirts and Arsenal shirts and boys from Dagenham wear jackets called “Harlem” Grinning at the door of the Anne Summers (sex) shop It's Saint George's day and all the old people smile the young look hungry looking for a new door I'm in the sun at the back of the shops where the purple wheelie bins are pushed up against the doors that say, FIRE EXIT I smell grease there's broken glass thing under my feet the boys stop for a smoke in the sun and watch the girls cross from the job centre to the station a drunk stands in the door of a pub a bunch of peas sticks in one hand a cheery carrier bag hanging in the other hanging in the other girls in England shirts read the papers and giggle at a table in a café offering ʻHome made dinners' it's good food but your clothes come out smelling of grease

I've got my back to the rail at the end of the alley back to the by-pass you might've seen me scratchin' all these things inkin' it out deliver us from temptation and doubt there's an abandoned trolley Called ʻSAFE' and Radio 1 And on And on And on And on And on And on And on And on And on And another England shirt out in the sun spring falls in pink on the black top and cracks black and yellow tape covers the scene of a break in and every time I think of you I get my peace back