Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > treatment.

Old 09-02-2006, 03:02 AM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

Re: Good movies in (british) english?
The Long Good Friday
My Beautiful Launderette
Restless Natives (if you manage to understand the Scots accents - very funny movie)
Gregory's Girl (ditto - you've already seen, but maybe not fully followed, Local Hero by the same director)
In the Name of the Father

That's all I can think of for the moment, but I will surely think of more later.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:35 AM
Deckard
issue 37

East is East (1999) [COLOR="Blue"]Link[/COLOR]
Chip shop owner George Khan is a proud Pakistani married to an English woman who is attempting to bring up his seven children as good Muslims. However, after his eldest son flees an arranged marriage, the cracks in the behaviour of the others begin to show, and family strife breaks out. Surprisingly funny and poignant.

Human Traffic (1999) [COLOR="#0000ff"]Link[/COLOR]
Five UK youths with various anxieties await the weekend - a 48 hour bingeing and purgeing session involving drink, class A drugs, dancing, shagging, and bangin' choons. But it's not all roses - they're getting older, and the scene just isn't the way it used to be. Or is it? Maybe it's them that have changed. I've seen this called 'the Welsh Trainspotting' but I'd have to disagree.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:57 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Brassed Off
The Full Monty
Kes
Educating Rita
Old 09-02-2006, 04:47 AM
Stephen
Hi! I'm Barry Scott!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard
East is East (1999) [COLOR=blue]Link[/COLOR]
Chip shop owner George Khan is a proud Pakistani married to an English woman who is attempting to bring up his seven children as good Muslims. However, after his eldest son flees an arranged marriage, the cracks in the behaviour of the others begin to show, and family strife breaks out. Surprisingly funny and poignant.
I didn't enjoy this for the simple reason that had been told it was 'really funny' when it turned out to be more 'mildly harrowing'. Not saying it's not a good film, I just went into it with completely the wrong expectations and didn't enjoy it as a consequence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard
Human Traffic (1999) [COLOR=#0000ff]Link[/COLOR]
Five UK youths with various anxieties await the weekend - a 48 hour bingeing and purgeing session involving drink, class A drugs, dancing, shagging, and bangin' choons. But it's not all roses - they're getting older, and the scene just isn't the way it used to be. Or is it? Maybe it's them that have changed. I've seen this called 'the Welsh Trainspotting' but I'd have to disagree.
Whereas I simply out-and-out hated this. If you're the kind of person who thinks that doing drugs is really really cool, maybe you'll enjoy this. It's one thing to be off your tits and saying to your mate (who is also of his/her tits) 'do I look fucked?' yet quite another to watch a pair of cunts acting out this vapid exchange on screen. I thought The Lakes was one of the best drama series ever made but Human Traffic made me believe that John Simm is in fact a cunt.

Why is it called 'the Welsh Trainspotting'? Because it's got Howard Marks in it (briefly)?
Old 09-02-2006, 06:19 AM
Deckard
issue 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
I didn't enjoy this for the simple reason that had been told it was 'really funny' when it turned out to be more 'mildly harrowing'. Not saying it's not a good film, I just went into it with completely the wrong expectations and didn't enjoy it as a consequence.
That's unfortunate. I really did enjoy it - a light-hearted film but with a tense edge to it. Loved the performances from Om Puri and Linda Bassett as the husband and wife, including their comedy swearing at those darker moments.

Quote:
Whereas I simply out-and-out hated this. If you're the kind of person who thinks that doing drugs is really really cool, maybe you'll enjoy this. It's one thing to be off your tits and saying to your mate (who is also of his/her tits) 'do I look fucked?' yet quite another to watch a pair of cunts acting out this vapid exchange on screen. I thought The Lakes was one of the best drama series ever made but Human Traffic made me believe that John Simm is in fact a cunt.
I have to be honest, this one didn't do much for me either, but two of my friends adored it, and the whole welsh trainspotting tag made it a curiosity piece that I thought I'd chuck into this thread, particularly since that other film suffering the same tag, Twin Town, has already been mentioned. I guess to many people, a British 90's film (in this case, set in Cardiff) about a bunch of young people taking drugs and enjoying them, and featuring wall to wall music, and initially marketed in a similar style (even going as far as to use signage style graphics and character profiles in its artwork!!) is going to draw this comparison, however misguided. Some loved it though.

Last edited by Deckard; 09-02-2006 at 06:22 AM.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:27 AM
votingfloater
waukrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBurnout
Restless Natives (if you manage to understand the Scots accents - very funny movie)
I'll second that one! Now I just have to find a copy on dvd...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBurnout
Gregory's Girl (ditto - you've already seen, but maybe not fully followed, Local Hero by the same director)
Again, top stuff - one of the few good things to come out of Cumbernauld (or Vietnauld as we used to call it; I - ahem - used to live there). Also worth tracking down is That Sinking Feeling also by Bill Forsyth - it came out before GG and is just as good.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:25 PM
bas_I_am
vision

Breaking the Waves (Danish, set in scotland, english)
The General (Irish???)
The Magdelene Sisters (Irish again???)

Speaking of Breaking the Waves, you have seen Dancer in the Dark???

Even better - Dogville and Manderlay - both are masterpieces.

Um, who watches dubbed films? my god they are annoying.
Watch sub-titled. . . and then track down a copy of The Tin Drum
Old 09-05-2006, 12:18 AM
matt
old man einstein

Quote:
Why is it called 'the Welsh Trainspotting'? Because it's got Howard Marks in it (briefly)?
um, maybe because it's set in cardiff

and i saw another film with danny dyer in last week, the thoroughly enjoyable severance - fun horror movie with some scary bits and lots of laughs.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:54 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
Twin Town was also called the welsh trainspotting when that came out too, only thats based in Swansea. Pretty. Shitty. City. ace movie.