Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2010, 11:03 AM
mark3
pants

Re: Bungalow with Stairs album
Received here in Denmark too - thanks to the postman for delivering despite ½ meter of snow (and thanks Underworld).
Old 11-29-2010, 05:15 PM
vacant
pretty

I've got a 'we can't deliver your package' card from the postie, so I imagine mine is in the post office somewhere. pissed off I can't get down there to pick it up until Thursday.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:56 AM
Jamiel
Jamiel

It arrived today, hand written address, so quite likely that they were working down a list alphabetically. Track 1 was on the Peel session in 2003, not got any further yet.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:35 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Mine came last night!!!!!!!

so happy - haven't had a chance to reeeeaaaaalllllyyy listen to it - just kinda skimmed around
seems quite good.

yea - it's not an "album" but it's an enjoyable experience

totally makes sense why it wasn't released beyond the show / UWlive
Old 12-01-2010, 04:30 AM
philth
Sounding Like A Chainsaw

Got mine yesterday too. Had a listen to the CD last night and really liked it.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Jamiel
Jamiel

I love this album, I always wanted an ambient album by Underworld and this is it. Probably my album of the year, I like it far more than 'Barking' which I didn't feel sounded like Underworld at all.

Last edited by Jamiel; 12-01-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:10 AM
crank
I'm a big sister

Interesting perspective based on the complaints and the dust up that originally cropped up here on the limited availability of the release:
http://pitchfork.com/news/40867-jack...-whining-fans/

crank
Old 12-01-2010, 11:26 AM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Great link. Really appreciated his comments. I completely agree and don't blame him for putting the records on ebay to auction them. Many people bought extra copies of Bungalow to 'flip' on eBay. I was very tempted to do it myself. I know this happens with St. Etienne fan club stuff too but I only ever order 1 copy of that for myself even though I know I can make hundreds if I buy a few, hold them for a year and then sell on eBay. Basically, Underworld gave us exactly what we wanted but lots of people felt like bitching about it anyway. It's always the same. Someone is going to be pissed and cry about how unfair it is or whatever.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:44 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

Has anybody in the US received theirs yet? (It'd be helpful if you posted where you are instead of just "Got mine!')
Old 12-01-2010, 12:48 PM
lowbit
future pundit

Underworld may have given you exactly what you wanted, but that's not the case for me or (I think) a fair number of other people here.

What Jack White and that Pitchfork piece fail to address is why we should "desire them, hunt to find them, etc". Are they creating work for fans to listen to or collectors to fawn over? If it's actually about the music (as so many artists claim), shouldn't the aim be to get it into the hands of everyone who wants to listen to it? If it's actually about creating "collectibles", then they should stop dissembling and admit that that's why they release limited hard-to-get versions of items that could just as easily be mass produced.

Of course sometimes artists are interested in serving both groups, and for Jack White and Third Man's The White Stripes that seems to be the case: this reissue contains no music that isn't available elsewhere. Unfortunately that isn't the case with Bungalow with Stairs and so many other releases.

IMHO more artists should be paying attention to and following the path that Trent Reznor and a few others are blazing, aggressively taking advantage of the latest infrastructure and technology to make their work available to fans at reasonable prices and head off profiteering. It does require some extra care and occasional concessions on distribution methods, but the end result is fans getting more of what they love and artists getting a much greater share of the money spent – a win/win for everyone (except the leeches scalpers, I guess ).