potatobroth
bungalow

Inglourious Basterds
loved it.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:59 AM
grady
fac321

Re: Inglourious Basterds
The first viewing of the film I had was in mid July with an audience of 5 people. I didn't enjoy it so much.

The second viewing of the film was opening weekend on a Saturday with an audience of around 185. I enjoyed the film more.

The things I didn't like from the first viewing still were there, but the addition of 180 or so people did improve it a bit, reaffirm my likes and dislikes and more importantly confirming my liking of Christoph Waltz(Hans Landa, aka 'the jew hunter.').
Old 08-30-2009, 11:36 AM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Does anyone get naked?

Old 09-01-2009, 01:30 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

I felt that some parts dragged on way too long. The whole film could have been half an hour shorter and be better for it.
In some cases the drawn out scenes did work very well building tension though like the opening chapter and the bar scene later on.
The Jew Hunter was easily the most enjoyable character in the whole film and it actually felt like the Inglorious Bastards themselves were more of a sideshow sometimes. I don't know, I guess I expected a bit more of an action movie with more focus on the Basterds ( sorta like Dirty Dozen).
Old 09-01-2009, 11:48 AM
IsiliRunite
de la Michigan

Send a message via AIM to IsiliRunite
I found it hard to really appreciate the wits of the charaters because they were speaking a language I don't, and I too felt the film was dragged out.

Pitt and Waltz were always good, though. Scenes with them were auto-memorable.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Scenes were long, but they were building to something, especially the first one where you knew something was going to happen after the Jew Hunter slowly built up his nice introduction before going down to business.

Amuses me that people complain it was subtitled and mainly in French/German. Seeing the film was set in those countries, it kind of made sense to do so. Very brave move I thought, but it paid off. There was still enough action going on to set the emotion of what was going on e.g. the tense/fear in the cafe when they are thinking of changing the cinema venue.

Think the Basterds were meant to be portrayed as utterly stupid and to give themselves the impression/believe they were responsible for the final outcome when it was actually the victim of the original Jew Hunters work.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:47 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

A few points for me (some very light spoilers)

- Some scenes did seem long, and most built to something so that was okay. The dialogue (cliche to say this) was stellar which helped remove any tedium that the long scenes could have.

- Hans Landa (Waltz) was exceptional. Two scenes in particular were about as brilliant a portrayal I have ever seen.

- The Basterds needed another scene... something to tie them in more.

- Tarantino is the master of the 'scene' and fantastic director, but as a story-teller he is just not there. Kill Bill was a huge step in the right direction, but he just threw that all away with this movie. Now, its okay for IB because we all know the back story so we can fill in the pieces. But it will bug me forever that Raine and Shoshanna never meet.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:55 AM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ

Just watched this. Ace. Loved the subtle sound references too.

Agree some scenes were a bit too long (basement scene was too drawn out), but still a good film. Hope it sees some awards for performances, esp. the blond theater owner woman.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:26 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOHN rODRIGUEZ View Post
Just watched this. Ace. Loved the subtle sound references too.

Agree some scenes were a bit too long (basement scene was too drawn out), but still a good film. Hope it sees some awards for performances, esp. the blond theater owner woman.
I've rewatched the basement scene (specifically) again and it didn't seem as long to me as it did in my original watching.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:48 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ

I might be wrong, I'll watch it again tonight.

LOVE the scene with the theater owner woman on the big screen. OOOOh to dream.