Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > treatment.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2008, 08:37 AM
bas_I_am
vision

synecdoche, new york
anyone else see this?

Fantastic film. Emily Watson should get best actress Oscar.

Another Escherian visual trip from the mind of Charlie K. exploring delusional self centered fear that poisons most individual's existence. lots of GEB stuff here.

I need to see it again. Also need to get the script as I want to commit the preachers monologue to memory.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:58 AM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Re: synecdoche, new york
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas_I_am View Post
anyone else see this?

Another Escherian visual trip from the mind of Charlie K. exploring delusional self centered fear that poisons most individual's existence. lots of GEB stuff here.

I need to see it again. Also need to get the script as I want to commit the preachers monologue to memory.

Loves me, me GEBs.

I'm bored, give us some economic riddles.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:08 PM
grady
fac321

Perhaps we saw different films. I wasn't terribly fond of this film. It had humorous parts throughout, but I think it got a bit tired of the weird metauniverse Kaufman was creating folding into itself too many times.

Another thing I found myself pondering was what would the film of been like had it been directed by say Michel Gondry or Spike Jonez.

Since this was Kaufman's first film I can only imagine there might have been a learning curve in holding the directing reins. While he did a decent job with it, in the hands of someone else, it may have come out better.

I will see the film again as I've been told repeat viewings are a necessity with the film, but I don't see myself rushing out to do this anytime soon. Perhaps when it hits cheap theaters.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:29 PM
gillenium

I've heard mixed reports about this one. For the most part, people seem to be saying that Kaufman's scripts do well to be filtered through another director. Because he directed this one, it became a little too complex for its own good. I'm still looking forward to seeing it, though. I'm a big Kaufman fan.

It's a shame the movie is being received so poorly, though. I've read an interview where Kaufman says he might stop being a screenwriter
Old 11-09-2008, 04:07 PM
grady
fac321

I wonder how many more times we can all go down the Kaufman rabbit hole. There is a bit of a parallel here between M. Night Shamalamadingdong in my mind. For the sake of this example, both individuals burst onto the scene in 1999 with their respective works receiving critical praise and audience approval. With each subsequent film, there has been a bit of a decline.

I'd say Adaptation and Eternal Sunshine are exceptions here, and though my comparison doesn't hold up to well under close scrutiny my point in bringing it up as that both individuals seems to be at a point where their work isn't connecting with audiences the way it once did. There is nothing wrong with that, but one could argue that the quality of work is declining, especially with Shamalamadingdong.

Back to Syndoche, NY though, it does beg the question, what the film have looked like in the hands of another director. Is his material better suited for others to interpret and make a film out of?

After seeing the film someone suggested I read Roger Ebert's review of the film. I did and I like some of the points he makes, but I don't think it's swayed my opinion any further in either direction towards the positive or negative.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:08 AM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Yeah, finally saw The Happening. I can see the comparison to HitchCock, but what a limp let down.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:25 AM
grady
fac321

I don't want to stray too far off topic here than I already have since there is a thread about the Happening, but yeah, pretty bad film with a few horrifying images scattered throughout.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:21 PM
bas_I_am
vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas_I_am View Post
Actually I meant Samantha moore.

man she looks like Emily Watson circa Breaking the Waves.

Emily Watson was good as well, but Sam was fantastic.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:31 AM
GforGroove
marca libre

I don't now know how i feel about this film. i can't say i didn't like it but it was like going to a funeral. It was too morbid. Charlie Kauffman needs love i think.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:27 PM
grady
fac321

Quote:
Originally Posted by GforGroove View Post
I don't now know how i feel about this film. i can't say i didn't like it but it was like going to a funeral. It was too morbid. Charlie Kauffman needs love i think.
He needs to be hugged tightly.