Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > bound.

Old 10-31-2005, 09:45 AM
den
100% of nothing

Send a message via AIM to den Send a message via MSN to den
I finally read this book this summer. (It's one of those books they always told me I'd read in school later, but never did, like To Kill a Mockingbird.) 1984 is easily the scariest book I've ever read. It's also instantly one of my favorites. The sense of utter hopelessness is terrifying, and it all seems too real. It was more interesting for me because I read it while living in Poland for a few months. Of course it's absolutely ridiculous to compare it now to Oceania, but I would see the old huge 1970's appartment blocks and couldn't help but be reminded of Victory Gardens. There's one major question I have about the plot that for me would change my entire outlook on the book, but I don't want to ruin it with any spoilers. Anyone up for a private discussion?
Old 10-31-2005, 09:55 AM
GreenPea
<3 vokills

Send a message via AIM to GreenPea
Re: 1984
You should not be surprised about the Poland thing as 1984 is 99% inspired by Stalinism. It has always upsept how this book is brought up by people in the west these days and seem to totally ignore Orwell's original intentions. Many of the things in 1984 are not fantasy at all but day to day life in a communist country. Mixed coffee, announcing a great victory or acomplishment of something or other and announce further rationing in the same line? I know that only too well and it was probably worse on Orwell's times.

Last edited by GreenPea; 10-31-2005 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:13 AM
GreenPea
<3 vokills

Send a message via AIM to GreenPea
By the way, I have this book about the alteration of photographs during the Stalinist regime. It is great!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
Old 10-31-2005, 11:02 AM
TheIncredible
Flubber_Dweezil IV

Send a message via MSN to TheIncredible
Mate - I'm totally with you on this book. It is easily one of the greatest I have ever read.

Myself and Greenpea had a wee "heated" discussion about it back in January, but nuff respect to the boy - he knows his onions

I have many thoughts and theories on the book, especially the concept of Doublespeak etc.

Quality with a capital "kw"!